+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paladin's Today

Paladin's Today

A year ago if you read that a Paladin was main tanking a raid, speculation, QQ, complaints, mocking, and about 100 other responses would come flying from all directions.
    A holy Paladin is and has been a welcome addition to any raid already, it's been the desired spec for many guilds to seek.

Retribution however is still shunned for the most part. True you see them placed here or there. But you don't see them often at all.

There's 2 specs that have grown into viable,usable,welcomed,desirable ways to play and raid with. Retribution however is still behind. With many classes theres 2 ways to go. By that I mean clear different paths of playing. With a Paladin you have the choice of Healing,Tanking,Melee Dps in a nutshell. With A shadow Priest you have DPS, and Healing. With Warriors, its dps and tanking. So on and so forth.

WOW EU posts by blues, and even Blizzcon panels have brought forth the issue of retribution in terms of being attractive in a raid setting.
    Once that had been mentioned it made a gigantic wave. It sent many people into planning what they were in the end going to do. Now there was this hope of sustained Dps to bring into a raid. Some wondered if every pally would instantly go ret? Paladin's looking to respec to retribution wonder what the changes will be, the ideas that are surfacing stagger the imagination.
    However with the Protection community settling down we clearly see that not every paladin jumped on the bandwagon to respec prot and turn the world upside down. So its safe to bet that not everyone is going to run to retribution, maybe a flavor of the month will happen, but that's something that nearly every change to any class will do. However it's not going ruin raiding at all it may even enhance the raids, who knows at this point what changes are in store but its healthy that positive sturring is going on in the forums.
    The most stressful, yet provides the most gratification..
    Tanking <3

A lot of the current holy pallys rolled a paladin to heal. Although there will definitely be a lot of people who will switch to ret once it becomes raid viable. Those people being the ones specced holy to get into raids.

Ret does need a lot more help than prot. (really, if i just got my hands on a goddamn last stand ability i'd be happy).

Agreed that Ret needs work, but I do think the amount of work that the tree needs is somewhat debatable. There's a lot of raid utility that a Ret Paladin brings that gets overlooked because "they just don't do enough DPS." The list of things a Ret paladin specifically brings has been hashed out time and time again, but it's important to note that they're still Paladins - they've still got blessings, they've still got auras. Currently the common rebuttal is "Yeah, but they can just as easily use those while being specced Holy," and although that's certainly true, it's also important to remember that those are benefits that the Ret tree itself doesn't have to compensate for.

I definitely won't argue that Ret pallies need some work. Most of the time, they just don't bring enough to the table to justify bringing them over another DPS by merit of class abilities alone. However, I do think that just how far behind they are is very commonly overstated. It'll be interesting to see just how much the tweaks coming in 2.3 will help them.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhoon View Post
    Lay on Hands?
    If Lay On Hands had an 8 minute cooldown, then sure
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    If Lay On Hands had an 8 minute cooldown, then sure
    True enough, but then it's quantity vs quality. Lay on Hands heals for a TON more and it's an actual heal, not just borrowed health.

Having both would be pretty keen.

True enough, but then it's quantity vs quality. Lay on Hands heals for a TON more and it's an actual heal, not just borrowed health.
    Also true... but Last Stand can be used as a preventative measure and won't be overwritten by other healers a second later

Having both would be pretty keen.
    Improved Lay on Hands I can easily see and accept it as the Paladin's version of Shield Wall, However we have no comparison for last stand that is available very regularly, leaving you not to worry about if it might be more useful used somewhere else.

On tauntable mobs, Divine Shield + Righteous Defense.

Just make sure to click off the DS as soon as the taunt debuff runs out. Even if the mob is running away from you while you remove the shield, as long as you do something to adjust your threat (and you're still on top), the mob will come running back. For instance, the mob running across Consecration.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

Quote Originally Posted by Norrath View Post
    On tauntable mobs, Divine Shield + Righteous Defense.

Just make sure to click off the DS as soon as the taunt debuff runs out. Even if the mob is running away from you while you remove the shield, as long as you do something to adjust your threat (and you're still on top), the mob will come running back. For instance, the mob running across Consecration.
    If its tauntable, then I generally don't need a 'last stand'.

improved lay on hands is 12 points holy...not every paladin has that as the prot ones are 0/49/12 usually some may go 20/41 if they have block rating galore but its not that easy and you sacrifice alot...imo.

I'm glad this got some attention!
    It leaves a lot to wonder just how much of the shunning is really just bad rep? Granted just like any other class you have people that itemize incorrectly or just don't grasp the tricks of the trade as it were.
    At any rate even if it's not a complete overhaul its a real nod in our direction and means that we're not totally ignored
    The most stressful, yet provides the most gratification..
    Tanking <3

Quote Originally Posted by nicki View Post
    improved lay on hands is 12 points holy...not every paladin has that as the prot ones are 0/49/12 usually some may go 20/41 if they have block rating galore but its not that easy and you sacrifice alot...imo.
    I was more implying that Imp. Lay on Hands should be baseline.

+ Reply to Thread