+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So....

So....

If a train was to leave Boston traveling at 45 mph, heading west. And another train was leaving Charlotte traveling north at 37 mph. Both trains leave at exactly 6am.

Assuming both trains start as lvl 1, with no gold from higher level trains for upgraded train gear, and assuming that each runs over 1 squirrel crossing the tracks every 6 minutes. What level would each train be at when they intersected, assuming a standard leveling rate of 20 squirrels per level?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Feel free to delete this

They'd be the same level.

What level they'd be is unknown. We don't know the travel time.

Nice, Klimpen. I didn't catch the answer being so simple.

It's a somewhat common question format, Klimpen. At least at my school, you would determine travel time by looking up mile distance between cities and, in the case of this question, determining the vertical and horizontal lengths. Though whether you would intersect w/ those directions from those two cities, I am far too lazy to look up.

There was a similar question in the Scholarship exam for my Highschool. Apparently I was the only one to get it right. [I got the Math Scholarship with a 100% mark)

I did have a look, and found a road distance. However we're talking rail, and I couldn't find any conclusive numbers except for a few that proved that I couldn't use the road ones. [~2-3% difference]

+ Reply to Thread