+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Warriors Today

Warriors Today

It seems to me that alot of wars today don't know how to tank. I mean I could point out more than a handful or warriors who think they can get away with a sunder/devistate spam to hold aggro. Do you guys see the same thing?

Honestly, no I don't. The only tanks that I encounter are my off-tanks who only got to be my off-tanks because they knew what they were doing. I never run with a tank because I am one. (and I play no alts)

I play a mage alt, and the type i run into alot are those who believe they can hold aggro by just spamming SS and sunder - when I delve further in tryignto help them tank better - my head just starts to hurt

TBC brought in a lot of new players/returning ones that are inexperiencd with the game. The kind of year lull WoW had in which there wasn't a huge change in the number of subscribers kind of spoiled a lot of us into being able to play with mostly experienced semi-skilled people.
    60% of the time, I work all the time...

In my rogues guild, we needed one of the fury wars to OT a Lair Brute in the triple pull, we quickly found out that he had never done his defensive stance quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nunes View Post
    In my rogues guild, we needed one of the fury wars to OT a Lair Brute in the triple pull, we quickly found out that he had never done his defensive stance quest.
    O.O is all I have for that...

found this off of wowwiki.
    Shield Slam ftl. Given the 6 second cooldown, there is no improvement in threat per second by using shield slam.

sigh.. i hope he was being sarcastic in that wowwiki post.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I really don't think so... Ill get you guys the link when I can get off these school computers and around this damn filter >.>

One thing I notice is that when I'm running instances on my alts, the warriors aren't new players, just semi-new to the class and haven't tanked a single thing and are completely unaware of how to do their job in a group. All they have to go on is second hand information and what they "heard some time." Most of the time, if they aren't truly serious about making their warrior their main, people don't put in the time to research and improve. But if I try to suggest things to them, "stfu and stop trying to tell me how to play my class..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    sigh.. i hope he was being sarcastic in that wowwiki post.
    Here's the source.

That's Kenco's initial work on figuring out the "hidden" mechanics of threat in WoW. Remember that at the time nobody had a clue how much threat any ability did, and threat management was pretty much always a "feel" thing. Kenco's work (and eventually his KTM addon) completely changed the face of tanking and raiding.

That particular document dates back to the time when Shield Slam still did damage based on Attack Power. I was still learning to tank at the time so I have no way to say how accurate his statement is, but Shield Slam did get a big revision a few months after that document was written.
    Armstrong
    <Elysium>
    Burning Legion US

I have a lower level priest (you learn a lot about tanking and threat from that perspective) that I like to play every now and then. I'd have to agree with the post that many do not know how to tank. I am low enough where warriors don't have shield slam yet, but it's still obvious that they focus on only applying threat to one target or still think they can tank with a 2h weapon.

In one instance, I did do a PuG run with a warrior who obviously read Cider's doctrine. He opened the pull by throwing at 2 different targets, was obviously tabbing quickly, had omen installed, applying sunder or revenges; and the best part, intentionally let a rogue who kept trying to top the dps charts die until he quit

fubar

Quote Originally Posted by Armstrong View Post
    Here's the source.

That's Kenco's initial work on figuring out the "hidden" mechanics of threat in WoW. Remember that at the time nobody had a clue how much threat any ability did, and threat management was pretty much always a "feel" thing. Kenco's work (and eventually his KTM addon) completely changed the face of tanking and raiding.

That particular document dates back to the time when Shield Slam still did damage based on Attack Power. I was still learning to tank at the time so I have no way to say how accurate his statement is, but Shield Slam did get a big revision a few months after that document was written.
    Alright, thanks for the clarification.

But it's my first day!

Seriously though, as a new warrior (and one who actually likes tanking to boot ), I can honestly say that I'm putting effort into being a decent one.

A lot of the problems I'm currently having are related to things like hotkeys and mod use--mostly hotkeys--and trying to come up with a comfortable setup is the main issue at the moment, especially when it comes to the more hectic parts of the game like tanking and PvP (where I find its easy to lose one's head and be overwhelmed, at least in my experience). I know its mostly personal taste, but having a few references to tweak at one's leisure is always a good thing imho (currenly trying out the hotkey layout in the Newbie Guide's tips section; very good for solo PvE, but I'm a bit worried about tanking with it, and let's not talk about PvP).

Quote Originally Posted by Quanta View Post
    But it's my first day!

Seriously though, as a new warrior (and one who actually likes tanking to boot ), I can honestly say that I'm putting effort into being a decent one.

A lot of the problems I'm currently having are related to things like hotkeys and mod use--mostly hotkeys--and trying to come up with a comfortable setup is the main issue at the moment, especially when it comes to the more hectic parts of the game like tanking and PvP (where I find its easy to lose one's head and be overwhelmed, at least in my experience). I know its mostly personal taste, but having a few references to tweak at one's leisure is always a good thing imho (currenly trying out the hotkey layout in the Newbie Guide's tips section; very good for solo PvE, but I'm a bit worried about tanking with it, and let's not talk about PvP).
    Ah yea I don't have any problem with new tanks, im talking about some wars who have been tanking since deadmines and are in gruul's lair now and they don't even touch the shield slam or revenge button

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowson View Post
    Ah yea I don't have any problem with new tanks, im talking about some wars who have been tanking since deadmines and are in gruul's lair now and they don't even touch the shield slam or revenge button
    Those Actually exist?

Well I've had a run with a few new tanks in my guild where they never ever used Heroic Strike...and forgot to use TC/Demshout most of the time while tanking BOSSES.

Nobody noticed until I actually started dpsing with those tanks in raids. I dislike being threat capped
    http://www.tankspot.com/signatures/e...aver/image.jpg

Democracy is two wolfes and a sheep voting what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylanor View Post
    Those Actually exist?
    Heh yea, A friend of a friend of mine was that way. I think it has alot to do with blizz's tooltips because if you go by them you could be lead into beliving that say sunder armor causes the same amout of threat as shield slam

Here's what I've observed:

Experienced guy:
    Tank, WTF are you using a 2hander?

New guy Warrior:
    It does the most damage.

EG:
    L2P retard, use a 1 hander and shield, and SS.

NGW:
    STFU, n00b (or nub)

etc.

I think for the most part, if the experienced folks handle people that aren't very skilled in a way that you would expect your teach to talk to your kid (for those of you old enough to have kids), things tend to go a lot better.

Better:

Experienced Alt:
    (using whisper), Hey man, is this your main toon?

New guy:
    What's "toon"? (I actually asked this when I first started)

EA:
    Short for "cartoon", ie. your character. Is this your main character?

NG:
    Yeah

EA:
    Wasn't sure if you knew what "tanking" meant, I'd like to help you if you don't mind some advice?

NG:
    Sure, what's up......

When I first started I had the second scenario happen to me. A 15 Priest took the time to gently ask me some questions and coach me. I was a 17 in the Deadmines area and he wanted to grind with me. I had NO IDEA what the word "Tank" even meant.

Coaching and mentoring can go a long way. I'll never forget that guy, and my WoW experience changed a great deal after that encounter. Pay it forward will go a long way.

that's a heck of a good point, a little help goes along way.... I normally try to point them here and I tell them that these folks have forgotten more than I know about a warrior tank.

A heck of a good point, benevolence goes along way.

fubar
    Last edited by Fubar; 09-20-2007 at 08:27 AM.

more wars should be paying it forward to they're fellow wars who need it, I think were starting to lose our reputation as tanks

One thing I have noticed is when you are trying to give advice to someone (in a nice way), a lot of times they take it the wrong way and it ends up with them saying all kinds of ignorant things and then telling me to "L2play". An example would be clearing trash in The Eye on the way to VR. I whispered the the guilds MT (after he had already died twice) that Spell Reflect the Crystalcore Sentinel's "Overcharge" and take no damage. His response: "STFU noob, I am the f***ing MT. I know what to do." Needless to say, I never took an "Overcharge" hit while he and his Ego died 2 more times. I had been tanking for over 2 years, and he was a new player when BC came out. I also asked him why he wasn't keeping his shouts up when we were in the same group and not useing Demo/TC when tanking bosses. He told me they cost to much rage to use and aren't really helpful. Boggles my mind how someone can think an extra 1k health isn't worth 10 rage.

There are some who want to learn and some who already think they know everything and cannot accept that they don't. If you find someone who is willing to accept help, then by all means do your best to help them out. It will make tanking and learning how to tank a much less frustrating event for all.

I guess just help who you can.

+ Reply to Thread