+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thunderfury

Thunderfury

Hi, I would first like to say I just discovered Tankspot.com a few days ago, and absolutely love it. Finally, a place to come read theroycraft, tanking strategy's, and other things I love about this game.

A little about me. I have been Tanking for over 2 years now, and originally was a MT and Guild Master of a guild who was full clearing MC, farming Onyxia, and progressing through BWL many months before TBC was every announced. I recieved my first binding of the windseeker way before the TF nerf, and began eagerly farming the mats for the 10 elementium bars. Within a month, I had 10 smelted bars, my essence from rag, and my left binding sitting in my bag as I began to farm MC over and over and over for the right binding. As months past, and TBC grew closer, my guild began to fill with drama, and eventually disbanded, and I began to fill with a feeling of depression of my shattered guild, and my hours and hundreds of gold I felt I had wasted on my Thunderfury. The Burning Crusade came, and I rerolled on a new server, but eventually missed my warrior so I transfered him to my new home.

One night, a few months ago, a group of friends and myself cleared through MC for fun, and to my surprise my right binding finally dropped. I downed Thunderaan that night with 5 people, and have been proudly wearing it on my back since.

Now, I apologize for the long, and slightly QQ story, but onto my questions.

I am AWARE that thunderfury is still a good tanking weapon. I am AWARE that mallet of the tides / The Brutalizer are considered the step up due to the +weapon skill threat added. However, even though I don't plan on Banking my TF at the moment, I constantly get people telling me I should because it was Nerfed.

So my questions are these. Has anyone done the math to see how much threat a TF is actually dealing these days? Does Kings Defender come close, equal, or totally blow away the threat I make on TF? Basically I just want to know if anyone else uses it, am I retarded for still using it, and if its so "bad" why do I see videos and screenshots of MT/OT's using it still even in Black Temple.

I know where you are coming from in that I have and still ue Thunderfury. First bit of advice I would give is to not pay attention to anyone unless you're sure they know what they are talking about. I was standing in IF just yesterday and some clown walked by and felt the need to "/s lawl still usinf Thunderfury at lvl 70 >bleeping< noob"

Ok, so don't pay attention to lvl 68 hunters walking around the city imparting thier boundless wisdom on the masses.

The fact that it is a debate as to whether or not it is good enough is justification enough to for me to leave King's Defender as my back up weapon. Which is better? The better question is: Does it matter that much?

I still use it 100&#37; of the time in raiding. Granted, we just have Gruul down and are working on Magtheridon but we have some outstanding DPS that cannot touch my threat. (we have some weak DPS that couldn't get a sniff if I wielded a mining pick) I have superior gear to my place in progression and perhaps if the rest of the raid suddenly caught up we'd be ahead of where we are and that's something I would have to revisit.

Its a great weapon that can do so many things. I wouldn't gove mine up until BT/Hyjal for the axe and sword that drop in each respectively. The Mallet would really make me think twice, I suppose, but I would let it go to my OT first and then, we aren't yet in SSC.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Yea there really aren't anything I can actually get that someone would tell me is "better" then Thunderfury.

I see videos and screenshots of MT/OT's using it still even in Black Temple.
    I very much doubt any MT/OT is still using it in BT/MH to tank a boss. Now on MH trash its great since you are hitting multiple targets. However in SS' people generaly pull it out just for nostalgia.. i even changed my [item]Mallet of the Tides[/item] to look like a TF. So yes it sitll does have times where it shines but they are very situational.

Quote Originally Posted by Fame View Post
    I very much doubt any MT/OT is still using it in BT/MH to tank a boss.
    Just a few examples...

2 thundefurys can be seen in this kill shot.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/images/a...um_shahraz.jpg

And Kungen can be seen tanking Mother Sharaz on the world first kill with a Thunderfury.
    Nihilum Vs. Mother Shahraz

Leme know if you would like to see more.

Thing is, most people (including myself) throw Thunderfury on for kill shots. It's not a superior weapon to anything from King's Defender on upwards.

Not to say it's not a nice weapon; it is. You can get away with using it as long as you need to, especially if you haven't seen other weapons drop. Beyond that, though, it's been nerfed into oblivion. Check Kenco's current numbers on it, or Elitist Jerks, or just check the patch notes where it was nerfed.

Am moving this to Gear forums.

Not to be an ass Illogic but did you even read Fames post or did you just read the first line and decide to flame him?

As he stated many take it out for screen shots OR (and this is the biggie) they change the model of their current weapon files to be that of the thunderfury.

Its a very nogstalgiac weapon and will be for quite soem time

Um yes I did read it, and my post wasn't meant to sound like a flame, I just took it as him stating NO ONE would ever use it and the thought of it in Hyjal/TBC was ridiculous, and I thought I had proof that in fact, it was still used. I understand that people put it on for kill shots, and if important raiding guilds are altering the image of a weapon (I belive that is against Terms of service) then I guess I should give up hope for TF being a usable weapon in BT.

Edit:

I would just like to clarify, I didn't really make this post to get peoples "opinions" on if the Thunderfury is better then something, I more wanted hard facts like whats the TPS a average tank gained on a certain encounter with Kings Defender over Tfury, or which bosses are immune to the proc, or what encounters are more focused on mitigation then threat generation, therefore making Thunderfury not the BEST choice of weapon to wield.
    Last edited by Illogic; 09-19-2007 at 10:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread