+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My raiding situation, seeking suggestions.

My raiding situation, seeking suggestions.

As of this moment, I am what my guild calls the 'primary' OT or 'secondary MT'. We've got Kara on farm and we've pushing through Gruul's. Where it stands now is that in Kara, I'm MTing our second run. Out of Kara, or more accurately, in Gruul's, I feel..somewhat useless. I typically run with the max efficiency build as a tank. In addition to the MT and myself, we have two feral druids who've been gearing up as tanks, and a DPS warrior who offtanks.

What that means in Gruul's is on Maulgar, we have the MT doing his thing and myself on the Seer. The two druids manage the Summoner and the DPS warrior typically helps burn the Seer or plays OT on the Summoner if one of our druids aren't available. It makes for a smooth Maulgar kill so far. Second phase usually has me moving in and picking up Maulgar after his fears, but last week one of our druids did it and managed quite well. Even removing me from the fight entirely, the DPS warrior could tank the priest, or OT the summoner with one of the druids while the other handles the priest.

For Gruul, the druid is also taking hurtfuls for the most part and the guild leader had said that I needn't intervene the MT during silences, since they have no problem keeping him up through it. He also told me that building threat isn't really a consideration, because if out MT goes down, it's a wipe(which I understand opens up a whole new conversation in regards to reports that I hear of many guilds losing their MT towards the end of the kill and pulling it off). When I asked him where it left me, in regards to Gruul's in particular, he simply told me to do as much DPS as I can.

As I said, I feel kind of useless being told to 'do DPS' when it's simply not what I've been gearing myself for. I've considered simply bowing out and having them bring in perhaps another ranged DPS in my place, but by and large, fellow guildies prefer to have me there. Now, all that said. What can I do? Is there some kind of prot/fury hybrid spec that I could consider, one that is feasible for tanking Prince, while being able to improve my utility in our 25man content as well? Should I just tough it out, stick with the max efficiency build for Karazhan and future content where I'll be needing to perform as a MT? Any suggestions'll be appreciated. I believe my current armory gear is the typical things I run with to tank Prince.
    Quality Over Quanity.

Just stay with it, things change after Gruul. If you haven't had a shot at Mag yet you'll find you're very useful for tanking the last Channeler. When you move on to Hydross you'll also find that you're very useful as a full prot tank for one of the resist stages. VR in TK as well. Also your guild may be hurting to put together that 2nd Kara group without you being around and available, and new recruits always need geared up. Bottom line: if you enjoy it and you work hard you'll move past the other tanks. At least in late T4/early T5 instances OTs are interchangeable regardless of class.

For Maulgar, have the RL stick you on Olm the Summoner and just let the DPS Warrior tank Blindeye the Seer in full dps gear. Blindeye should die quick enough to keep him up easy and you'll be much more effective on Olm who can actually hit decent and requires good threat gen.

As a side note, most guilds should be easily able to pull out Gruul even if the MT drops. The intervenes during silence are as much to help the 3rd tank with rage as they are to absorb a blow. You should always be 3rd on threat if your guild has a druid OT. In the event of the MT dropping you just move up one position.

PS - I'd critique your build, but it's currently showing a talent spec of 0/0/0. I'm hoping that's not what you meant by "max efficiency".

I appreciate it. And no, it's not. I was specced for PvP over the weekend and unspecced earlier, but had to bail before I set my prot build back up. By max efficiency build, I was referring to a tanking build that was discussed on the forums by Ciderhelm.

WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Warrior -> Talent Calculator

I certainly enjoy it, and it's not so much a matter of moving ahead of other tanks(I enjoy being the primary OT and I can see the reasoning behind wanting a druid to take the hurtfuls with their higher armor/health for pure mitigation), as much as feeling somewhat useless in our current Gruul content after being told by the guild leader to simply..DPS and not worry about trying to stay high on the threat list. Despite the guild leader telling me 'not' to intervene our MT, the MT told me to do it anyway. So, meh.
    Quality Over Quanity.

Vold's advice is the same I would give.

I would add however that it's never a bad idea to invest some time and gold into maintaining a solid DPS set. Even with your spec, you should be able to do decent damage with str / crit gear. Make sure it's all enchanted and gemmed. You won't be using it often, but at least putting you in a DPS role will actually be an option when that's what makes sense for the fight.
    Armstrong
    <Elysium>
    Burning Legion US

I do have a half-way decent DPS set of gear. Boots off Nightbane, epic leggings from Mech, SS helm, ect. But the only boss I've actually worn it on has been Aran. Typically I'll go with my heavy SBV set and use that when I'm thrust into a situation where I'm told not to worry about tanking, just in case.
    But, that's why I was curious too if there was a hybrid spec that I could use in order to still retain maintank viability for Prince on my Kara run, while giving me some more DPS utility in Gruul's where I feel somewhat inept for the role I'm put into. Doesn't appear to be one(in the research I've done myself), and I'm not really willing to completely gimp my tanking ability in order to do some more damage in Gruul's, where in all likelihood, I'll be called into a more heavy-tanking role again when we move into SSC and such. The real question is, do I even bother to stack the meager amount of +hit I have and DW for DPS on the two fights I do DPS on now, or just stack crit/str/AP and let the actual fury warriors worry about hit rating?
    Quality Over Quanity.

Gruul's Lair is not the standard of 25man content. As you get Mag, Lurker, Void Reaver you'll be a critical part of the tanking team.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

+ Reply to Thread