+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fury dps gear

Fury dps gear

I am one of those gluttons for pain that is building a complete fury dps set and a complete main tanking set (for when our normal main tank is absent). The majority of my fury gear is stuff I have picked up while working on my tanking set, in addition to the little pvp gear I have.

That said, while I have been working on my fury set, it needs some improvements. Especially gloves and pants. I am looking for suggestions for these as well as any other gear/enchant choices that are behind what they should be(at the time of this post, I am waiting on a friend to mail me back a shipment of +8str gems, so disregard the gems for now please).

A little about the stage of progression: as seen in my armory profile, my guild is in Karazhan, and has killed Prince once (first time this week). We have run a couple heroics, and have some people with experience running them, but the heroic runs are as yet uncommon.

First please don't use AP gems, always str. Simply because AP gems don't get any benefit from blessing of kings.

Helmet is ok but think on saving up and dropping herbalism for Engineering, you get a great dps helmet plus a tanking helmet and the gun if you want to level all the way up :P.

Run Durnhold (normal) and get Mantle of Perenold, upgrade is Chess shoulder or Arena S2 shoulder. Yes leather is ok and chess shoulders > Arena by a small margin.

Enchant your chest +6 to all stats and more arena for S2 chest . You can use S2 chest for tanking as well .

Cloak of the Inciter or better yet buy/craft Vengeance Wrap .

Go on AH and buy Fel Leather Gloves and Fel Leather Boots, they're cheap and the best you can get until 25man. Nightbane plate boots are not better until you can sustain 200 hit rating with them. And those blue boots are better than the Ogri'la epic rep boots.
    Just way to good .

Hourglass of the Unraveller and Abbacus of Violent odds are superior trinkets, get them .

And put a dps patch on those pants . Run heroic SP or Mecha for epic dps legs.

Fel Leather Gloves/Boots are the priority for you .
    http://www.tankspot.com/signatures/e...aver/image.jpg

Democracy is two wolfes and a sheep voting what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

Thanks for the suggestions =)

As mentioned in the original posts, I was in the process of redoing the gems to +8 str. The gems in most peices were whatever the guild jewelcrafter has on him that fit in the slots.

Have now replaced most of them except those in peices im planning on replacing very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylanor View Post
    Run Durnhold (normal) and get Mantle of Perenold, upgrade is Chess shoulder or Arena S2 shoulder. Yes leather is ok and chess shoulders > Arena by a small margin.
    Or alternatively wait untill whenever the next patch comes out and get the Ragesteel Shoulders crafted. I know I'll be farming for the plans when 2.2 goes live, and I've got the shoulders from Chess. If only I knew what dropped the plans... However, the Mantle of Perenolde will do until then.

I do agree wholeheartedly with the other suggestions though. Some of those pieces I'm still in the process of aquiring myself. In particular I'd like to echo the praise for the Fel Leather gloves/boots. I passed on the Tier 4 glove token the other week because I didn't feel as though the gloves would be enough of an upgrade for me, that's how good Fel Leather is. Apart from that, all I can say is check out my Armory (it's not perfect, but it's a guide at least) and good luck. Show those "pure" DPS classes what warrior DPS is capable of!
    Why use big words when a diminutive alternative will suffice?
    http://www.tankspot.com/photoplog/im...nnaxxramas.jpg

Ragesteel with 2x 4crit/4str:
    AP: 80AP
    Crit: 28 rating (1,27%)
    Hit: 9 rating (0.6%)
    HP: 120

Vs.

Mantle of Perenolde with 2x8str
    AP: 52AP
    Crit: 23 (1%)
    Hit: 23 (1,53%)
    HP: 240

Using ragesteel you get:
    + 28AP
    + 0.27%crit
    - 0.9%hit
    - 120 HP
    - 3 dodge rating

Well worth it .

Democracy is two wolfes and a sheep voting what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylanor View Post
    Ragesteel with 2x 4crit/4str:
    Crit: 28 rating (1,27&#37

Vs.

Mantle of Perenolde with 2x8str
    AP: 52AP
    Crit: 23 (1%)
    Hit: 23 (1,53%)
    HP: 240

Using ragesteel you get:
    + 28AP
    + 0.27%crit
    - 0.9%hit
    - 120 HP
    - 3 dodge rating

Well worth it .
    Ragesteel vs Bladed Shoulderpads of the Merciless

Ragesteel - 2x 4 str/4 crit gems

Crit: 28 rating (1,27%)

Chess shoulders: 2x 8 str gems (yes, I don't have 8 str gems but they cost more than Solid Stars on Aggramar )

AP: 90
    Crit: 21 rating (don't know the conversions off the top of my head)
    Hit: 13 rating
    HP: 300

Chess shoulders: 2x 4 str/4 crit gems

AP: 74
    Crit: 29 rating
    Hit: 16 rating (socket bonus)
    HP: 300

Conclusion:

Using Ragesteel with 2x 4 str/4 crit gems over Chess with 2x 8 str you get:

-10 AP
    +7 crit rating
    -4 hit rating
    -180 HP

And Ragesteel vs Chess both with 2x 4 str/4 crit gems

+6 AP
    -1 crit rating
    -7 hit rating
    -180 HP

No enchants or buffs (eg. Blessing of Kings, Improved Berserker Stance) have been taken into account here.

However, with Blessing of Kings, Ragesteel pulls ahead further in terms of AP because it has strength instead of attack power. This is quite interesting, as I hadn't done such a comparison between the two shoulders before. Just for comparison too, Ragesteel with 2 +8 str gems looks like this:

AP: 96
    Crit: 17 rating
    Hit: 9 rating

With Blessing of Kings, the AP will be even higher. Overall, it seems as though Ragesteel would be a slight upgrade to the Chess shoulders if they are socketed correctly. There isn't much in it though, and depending on the effort required to get the plans in the first place, I may not even bother unless I get lucky.

Edit: Contradicted myself in the conclusion >_>

Factoring in BoK:

Using Ragesteel with 2x 4 str/4 crit gems over Chess with 2x 8 str you get:

-5,2 AP
    +7 crit rating
    -4 hit rating
    -186 HP

And Ragesteel vs Chess both with 2x 4 str/4 crit gems

+12,4 AP
    -1 crit rating
    -7 hit rating
    -186 HP

So using Bladed Shoulderpads of the Merciless with 2x8str is superior, but still damn close for blue vs epics .

Well, this thread has drifted quite off topic now... Nice to see that my shoulders (albeit with new gems if I can afford them) would be superior, because I wasn't looking forward to grinding "an unknown creature" in Shadowmoon Valley until the plans dropped.

Implemented a couple of the suggestions.

I got the fel leather peices. Good tip and luckily someone in my guild can not only craft them but the +8str gems as well. Holding off on enchanting BP/legs until i get some better ones. Also as I am working up engineering (I knew about the helms but it didnt hit me for some reason that I can get both the tanking and dps helm out of it), so money is on a restricted basis for enchants for the moment.

I now have both trinkets. Though I have to ask whether abacus is superior with my crit rating still being in the low 20% range. Obviously the darkmoon card loses efficiency as crit rating goes up. However, trading 4-5% crit on average for 64ap and a 2+ min 10 second active cooldown seems right now to not be efficient (I have had the abacus for a while actually, but had banked it and forgotten about it since I wasnt working on a dps set at the time).

Additional questions: given that I am both tanking and dpsing. What should I spend my badges on (just short of 20 now so I am approaching the cloak/necklace range). Is there any badge peice that is far superior for tanking/dpsing?

Also, enchants for boots/cloak would be agility until next patch then a -threat enchant on the cloak?

My next cloak will be receiving a minus threat enchant, for sure.

Till you're riding the MT's ass at all times though agility may be a better choice.

I have been doing that for the past week =p

I don't often ride the MTs threat, but that's because we have a pally tank, and her threat generation is great. However, if I'm not careful, I can still pull aggro on certain things, but I can't think of one boss in Karazhan where I'm on the boss from start to finish with no interruption except for Shade, who doesn't count (we haven't done Illhoof, Nightbane or Netherspite though). So I may be looking at a -threat enchant on whatever new cloak I end up getting to replace this Nagrand quest reward.

I doubt a pally tank could out-threat me on everything.

I haven't been to Karazhan in ages, i wonder how much DPS i'd do to Aran now O.O;

Fortunately (or unfortunately?) I'm not at the gear level where I have to just auto attack until the MT can get a lead again, and most fights in Karazhan give the MT time to get a good lead over the DPS anyway. That's not to say that I can't pull aggro, I probably exaggerated a little bit =/

Quote Originally Posted by Kerafyrm View Post
    Implemented a couple of the suggestions.

I now have both trinkets. Though I have to ask whether abacus is superior with my crit rating still being in the low 20% range. Obviously the darkmoon card loses efficiency as crit rating goes up. However, trading 4-5% crit on average for 64ap and a 2+ min 10 second active cooldown seems right now to not be efficient (I have had the abacus for a while actually, but had banked it and forgotten about it since I wasnt working on a dps set at the time).
    Use Hourglass over Abbacus until you can stay at 25% crit in battle with out it. Abbacus is a truly awsome trinket, to bad it refuses to drop for me. It will be a little less good with the upcomming nerf in 2.2 to haste rating. But with it you can push some frightening dps numbers.
    Remember haste scales much better with gear, static crit/ap/hit upgrades are just that: Static. 0 scalability from Hourglass.

Additional questions: given that I am both tanking and dpsing. What should I spend my badges on (just short of 20 now so I am approaching the cloak/necklace range). Is there any badge peice that is far superior for tanking/dpsing?
    For dpsing Bloodbrooch trinket is a very good one, equals out to having about 186AP constant if you are using the CD with diligence.

Also, enchants for boots/cloak would be agility until next patch then a -threat enchant on the cloak?
    I have always prefered to have runspeed on my gear. Simply because I like the added mobility it gives. If I have to switch between targets that's more dps time it buys me.
    As to the cloak enchant going for -threat from the beginning on a good cloak really is something I'd consider necessary. It's 2% threat less, which scales with how much threat you do when you gear up .

Quote Originally Posted by Imi View Post
    I doubt a pally tank could out-threat me on everything.

I haven't been to Karazhan in ages, i wonder how much DPS i'd do to Aran now O.O;
    Only so much you can do with having to pummel his spells, really messes up proper dps rotation.

But I still remember one frightening day at Illhood ....actually my first kill of him.
    Somehow managed to pull off ~1598dps for 20 seconds, everyone was like...wtf! Lock was screaming on vent how the hell he was supposed to hold agro on the imps like this
    No idea how I pulled that off, haven't managed to again to this day.
    Oh...that was before I started to execute. My dps dropped then.

+ Reply to Thread