+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Building threat as a Void Reaver OT

Building threat as a Void Reaver OT

I just can't seem to do it. I run in, throw my Bloodrage, Shield Slam, Sunder ... so all ym fundamentals, pop Bloodrage when it's up, dance and throw Berzerker Rage before poundings, I just can't get enough threat on the guy. I try and try and try for like a minute while the MT and druids run away with the threat, then just eventually quit, pull out Edge of the Cosmos for awhile and spam Devastate/HS until 19%. Anyone else have this problem? I just feel like I'm doing everything I can to maximize rage generation and just not being able to build enough threat. Possibly my hunter's aren't misdirecting onto lowest tank like they should?

If you're running out of rage, Intervene for the current tank for an extra rage boost. Warn him or her in advance.

If you have enough rage, consider dual-wielding while you're at the bottom of the threat list. This is a bad idea if you're #2 on the threat list, and it's a bad idea if you're not very confident about your threat meters, because you don't want the Reaver to turn to you while you don't have a shield up.

Heroic Strike is not great for OT situations, because it deprives you of the rage you'd normally get from hitting the mob. When I'm working on VR from the OT slot, I spam Devastate and Shield Slam and nothing else unless I'm over 60 or so Rage, in which case I'll burn rage on Heroic Strike.

#1: wear some dps gear, forcusing on pieces with Hit rating, Agi (which is still good defensively as well), and also forcus on Block value for SS damage. He hits very lightly.

It doesnt matter that youre in full tank gear, if you never actually get aggro on him.

#2 Dont heroic strike when you dont have aggro, it costs too much rage.

#3 Use a slow wepaon to increase devastate damage. Youre not heroic striking right? So no drawback. You can always switch in a fast weapon for when you do have aggro, and start using heroic strike.

Remember that it takes ranged 130% to exceed you, so sometimes the threat meter can be misleading.

I would go with a slower harder hitting weapon and use devestate and shield slam as your primary moves for agro. Bring a couple rage just incase.

As long as you become a tank at one point and the dps doesn't rip agro, you have done your job. When you get agro go balls out, you will have an unlimited amount of rage, this is your time to really shine.

Druids are just hard to compete against on this fight when you're both off-tanking. They definitely hold an edge over us considering their talents refund criticals and they generally can generate rage and aggro much easier without getting hit.

I stack on my SBV (almost up to 800) set and equip my autoblocker and Styleen's for VR.

No DPS gear, but I do use a Major Agility elixir and Adamantite sharpening stone. You can effectively bump yourself back up the list if you ensure you get your Shield Slams off, and then Devestate or Sunder inbetween. Don't be afraid to switch to zerk real quick and Zerk rage then back for some extra rage income when you're not tanking. Intervene works too.

I'll time my Autoblocker and rage pot to coincide so I can maximize and hope they crit. Usually one cycle brings me back up on the list pretty quicky. If I get a lot of crits and none miss or get dodged, I often end up the new MT heh.

Don't bother with HS unless you're tanking. It ties up your swing timer and stunts your rage gen. Also coordinate with the other tanks and delegate Demo, ITC and CS or BS duty so you each have a fair workload so the current MT can go all out threat. This increases the max threat ceiling both for the MT, and for you, and widens the gap with the ranged classes. Especially shadow priests and DPS warriors who'll be high on the list. It's not uncommon for them to get soulstoned as their "aggro dump", but you can hopefully prevent the need for that.

Similarly you can do this on Gruul too, and literally stay within +/- 500 threat of the MT if you're OTing. When you get rogues with the VR trinket, S2 weapons, and the DragonSpine trophy, they'll <3 you for life.

Sorry, I edited the title. I hope Voir isn't the french spelling or something.

Group set up can increase threat, try to keep the feral druid with you for the crit, helps alot if your SS are critting, WF totem is nice as well. I generally wear my standard tank set, minus the weapon. I never have used a rage pot on him and very rarely have rage issues, provided you are managing rage correctly you shouldnt have to many problems.

Shield Slam -> Devastate -> Devastate

Repeat.

That's it

I've never tried switching to zerker rage for the poundings for extra rage, but considering I don't have TM I also don't think it would be a good idea. I personally wouldn't want to waste rage on shield slams/devastates in zerker stance and switching back to def stance with no TM would defeat the purpose. Though if you have TM I guess it might be worthwhile (actually probably not, you definitly get more than 25 rage from 3 ticks of pounding in def stance).

Also you mention edge of the cosmos. If you don't have a kings or some other epic weapon close to 90 dps I could see why this would be difficult. I've always just sat in def stance hit shield slam when its up and devastate inbetween and haven't had much trouble (we've come to accept that our dps warrior tanks the last 10%).

Quote Originally Posted by Cheechoo View Post
    I just can't seem to do it. I run in, throw my Bloodrage, Shield Slam, Sunder ... so all ym fundamentals, pop Bloodrage when it's up, dance and throw Berzerker Rage before poundings, I just can't get enough threat on the guy. I try and try and try for like a minute while the MT and druids run away with the threat, then just eventually quit, pull out Edge of the Cosmos for awhile and spam Devastate/HS until 19&#37;. Anyone else have this problem? I just feel like I'm doing everything I can to maximize rage generation and just not being able to build enough threat. Possibly my hunter's aren't misdirecting onto lowest tank like they should?

okay,

#1 i dunno about anyone else but ive never had to switch to zerker stance to build aggro, between the poundings and bloodrage you should be good, also i would imagine that if you are not speced for TM then youd lose rage switching stances if not careful.

#2 if you have imp sunder id sugguest using it over a 12 rage heroic strike( keeping in mind that you are not imp HS, which you could be im just speculating)

#3 ive never had to equip dps weapons or trinkets to gain 2ndary aggro, the boss could easily pound then switch to you and 1 shot you if you havent got a sheild equipped, ive had it happen to me even with a sheild

basically go in there BR, and spam SS and whichever cooldown is up, either sunder or devastate, works every time for me, if u have tonks of mitigation try slapping on a dps trinket or the autoblocker for blockvalue, instead of beefing up on mitigation i.e. moroes trinket,scarab of the infinate ..blah blah

you get the point....

ohh also i dunno about most of the other warriors, but we only do VR with 2 tanks, and easily swap aggro from myself to the OT or vice versa... druids from my view just dont seem to soak the hits from VR and the pounding to make any differnce in my raids, we'd waste tons of heals on the squishy bear =) hope this helps, poice
    Last edited by shotty; 09-13-2007 at 03:36 PM.

+ Reply to Thread