+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2.4 Shield Block Value Gear Guide (2.3.X Updated)

I watched that video of the guy putting points in the talent trees but I can't quite tell by his fast clicking and his accent. Is there a shield block build like he shows in the video posted some where?

Thanks for putting this up here. It saves me the trouble of searching through WoWHead.

Quote Originally Posted by frim View Post
    Am I correct in remembering that +str also effects you SBV? If so, you should modify the SBV values for any items in the list that also have +str.
    You need 20 str for 1 point of SBV. So in essence, it's negligible. Also, AP does not translate into SBV. =/

Btw, I am back from a long hiatus of school and raiding, and I plan some reworking of this guide. So please hold tight. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Also, this is a post-BC guide, meaning I am not including pre-BC items because new players most likely will not have a chance to get many of the pre-BC items, most notably T2 and T3 items.

Updates!

Ok, I have added shields to the list and once the 2.3 patch is released, I will update the entire list to reflect the new Heroic Badge and Zul'Aman items.

Also, this is a post-BC guide, meaning I am not including pre-BC items because new players most likely will not have a chance to get many of the pre-BC items, most notably T2 and T3 items.
    Shame, Sapphiron drops [item]Glyph of Deflection[/item].

Quote Originally Posted by Devro View Post
    You need 20 str for 1 point of SBV. So in essence, it's negligible. Also, AP does not translate into SBV. =/

Btw, I am back from a long hiatus of school and raiding, and I plan some reworking of this guide. So please hold tight. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

While 20 str per 1 SBV does seem paltry, these things add up. For example if you check out this thread ( http://shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?t=3384 ) at shadowpriest.com, they have done some pretty interesting things with finding out exactly how much +damage an item is worth... going so far as to calculate how much crit you get from the int on an item.

Personally i think it makes a lot of sense to quibble about 1.5 or so points here and there when you are talking about less than 50 points per item

But your list your values

Ultimate SBV

Here are two sets with max shield block value. The first set is the top SBV gear before Black Temple and without the famous trinket of Naxxramas; the second set is the top of the top warrior stuff for a SBV set.

ATM i'am trying to get all of this ... dunno how strong my shield slam will be with a 21/40 template

SBV stuff without Naxx and BT :

[item]Warbringer Chestguard[/item]
    [item]Battleworn Tuskguard[/item] + [item]Presence of Might[/item]
    [item]Destroyer Handguards[/item]
    [item]Unwavering Legguards[/item] + [item]Presence of Might[/item]
    [item]Belt of the guardian[/item]
    [item]Vambraces of Courage[/item]
    [item]Destroyer Shoulderguards[/item]
    [item]Jungle Stompers[/item] + [item]Solid Star of Elune[/item] + 5 SBV
    [item]Farstrider Defender's Cloak[/item]
    [item]Dath'Remar's Ring of Defense[/item]
    [item]Signet of the Last Defender[/item]
    [item]Steam-Hinge Chain of Valor[/item]
    [item]Gnomeregan Auto-Blocker 600[/item]
    [item]Styleen's Impeding Scarab[/item]
    [item]Mallet of the Tides[/item]
    [item]Bulwark of the Amani Empire[/item] + 18 SBV

SB value : 806 (under GA600 : 1006)

Ultimate SBV gears :

[item]Warbringer Chestguard[/item] + [item]Bold Crimson Spinel[/item] + [item]Bold Crimson Spinel[/item] + [item]Bold Crimson Spinel[/item] + 6 all
    [item]Battleworn Tuskguard[/item] + [item]Bold Crimson Spinel[/item] + [item]Bold Crimson Spinel[/item] + [item]Bold Crimson Spinel[/item] + [item]Presence of Might[/item]
    [item]Destroyer Handguards[/item] + 15 str
    [item]Unwavering Legguards[/item] + [item]Bold Crimson Spinel[/item] + [item]Bold Crimson Spinel[/item] + [item]Bold Crimson Spinel[/item] + [item]Presence of Might[/item]
    [item]Girdle of Stability[/item] + [item]Bold Crimson Spinel[/item] + [item]Bold Crimson Spinel[/item]
    [item]Vambraces of Courage[/item] + [item]Bold Crimson Spinel[/item] + 12 str
    [item]Destroyer Shoulderguards[/item] + [item]Bold Crimson Spinel[/item] + [item]Bold Crimson Spinel[/item]
    [item]Jungle Stompers[/item] + [item]Solid Empyrean Sapphire[/item] + boar enchant + 5 SBV
    [item]Farstrider Defender's Cloak[/item] + 12 agi
    [item]Band of the Eternal Defender[/item]
    [item]Glyph of Deflection[/item]
    [item]Gyro-Balanced Khorium Destroyer[/item] + [item]Bold Crimson Spinel[/item]
    [item]Bulwark of the Amani Empire[/item] + [item]Bold Crimson Spinel[/item] + 18 SBV + 3 stam

STR : 238 (+12 SBV)
    SB value : 833 (w. trinkets : 1268)

I made a lot of maths to see the difference between a full BT/Hyjal set, a mix of items between ZA and BT, a full SSC/TK stuff etc ... just to show that higher level stuff didn't mean it's better (but all of you already know this ). My best mix of stuffs to reach uncrushability is a mix of ZA, SSC/TK and BT items (a lot of BT of course).

Sorry for my poor english
    Last edited by Eko; 11-19-2007 at 11:47 PM.

You know, I really don't understand why everyone feels SBR is so useless. Sure, it doesn't produce the threat potential that SBV does via Shield Slam rotation, but it does provide a measure of protection that the other avoidance/mitigation stats don't; It allows us to take a blow, shrug off a bit of the damage, and - most importantly - gain rage for an attack that doesn't outright miss.

Admittantly, the stat could use some polishing - but then again, so could the whole of tank-related stats. (Parry should generate at least a little rage, imo.)

(w00t! First post here!)

You should update this list. It's a great source of information. You can copy off my article for all the new ZA stuff
    Block Value: Everything you ever wanted to know - Warriors - TankingTips.com

I think you made a little mistake. Max shield block value could be 834 (assuming you dont equip Glyph of Deflection but Styleen's Impeding Scarab) but you cant have two eternal defender ring. Best SBV rings are : Band of the Eternal Defender and Signet of the Last Defender. For me the top is 833 because it is much better to equip Glyph of Deflection

In all cases nice blog

I note that these items are all TBC but since there's only 1 trinket listed it's probably worth listing a legacy item for completeness: Styleen's Impeding Scarab is not only a decent Trinket in it's own right (still) but has 24 SBV.

I use it in my specific "Shield Slam" set (870 SBV and counting).

Highest theoretically possible SBV

I wish the guide were updated, 2.3 added ZA/badges which add a ton of block value gear - Blizzard is changing the way it itemizes, or at least adding a separate route towards what more people want; lots of Stamina and SBV and less avoidance. Well, I did some theorycraft, and I think I went further than the lists I've seen around because I've come up with some pretty wild numbers here.

So assuming we're a warrior (some Paladin tier pieces have higher SBV, however warriors win overall) and we have 5/5 Vitality and 3/3 Shield Mastery, here's the numbers I came up with:

Base STR: 154 (this is mine as a naked gnome)
    Raw STR from gear: 45
    Raw SBV from gear: 783
    STR from enchants: 53
    SBV from enchants: 48
    STR from gems: 200
    SBV from socket bonii: 5

OK so, we have 836 SBV raw, without any strength/talents factored in. We also have 452 strength, again discluding talents. Here's where things get a little shaky:

I'm not sure what shield block additions are multiplied. The things in question are the Glyph of Deflection/Auto-blocker combo (I read that they stack, thankfully!) as well as the 2 piece Destroyer bonus, which reads relatively ambiguously ("you gain 100 block value against a single attack in the next 6 sec.")

Due to this, we'll make a few scenarios. First, the equation (modified from WoWWiki)
    Shield Block Absorbtion = (SBV * 1.3) + ( ((STR * 1.1)/20) -1 )

Shield Mastery/Vitality are already factored in. OK, worst case: neither trinkets nor destroyer are modified:
    SBA = ((836 * 1.3) + ( ((452 * 1.1)/20) -1 )) + 535
    ..= 1646.66

Now, if trinkets and destroyer are both modified:
    SBA = ((1371 * 1.3) + ( ((452 * 1.1)/20) -1 ))
    ..= 1806.16

And, for the sake of calculating Shield Slam damage, assume destroyer adds nothing and redo both scenarios:
    SBA unmodified = ((836 * 1.3) + ( ((452 * 1.1)/20) -1 )) + 435
    ..= 1545.66
    SBA modified = ((1271 * 1.3) + ( ((452 * 1.1)/20) -1 ))
    ..= 1676.16

Best case scenario: you are a moron that somehow got ahold of ridiculous amounts of high-endgame epics, came upon thousands of gold which let you socket everything (EXCEPT YOUR BOOTS! Jungle Stomper bonus FTW) with a Bold Crimson Spinel (i think that's the name, +10 str), and both of your trinkets and your destroyer bonus are modified by shield mastery:

You will block 1806 damage from a hit. That's ridiculous.

So let's assume another best-case: all of this, and you're using shield slam! Unfortunately, you use tier 5 and not tier 4: no 10% bonus. Assuming the Destroyer bonus is applied, you will berserking + enrage shield slam for 8030 damage (if luck is majorly on your side.)

You could probably get higher if you replaced some pieces with t4 for the 10% bonus, however I think that's getting to the limit of reasonability. Actually, all of this is beyond reason.

Okay, I'm done. Theoretical gear list, btw:
    [item]Battleworn Tuskguard[/item]
    [item]Destroyer Shoulderguards[/item]
    [item]Vambraces of Courage[/item]
    [item]Destroyer Handguards[/item]
    [item]Warbringer Chestguard[/item]
    [item]Farstrider Defender's Cloak[/item]
    [item]Girdle of Stability[/item]
    [item]Unwavering Legguards[/item]
    [item]Jungle Stompers[/item]
    [item]Band of the Eternal Defender[/item]
    [item]Glyph of Deflection[/item]
    [item]Blade of the Unrequited[/item]
    [item]Bulwark of the Amani Empire[/item]

These are the items with the highest individual SBV, the weapon/gun are those with the most sockets, every socket has a +10 STR gem except for boots to retain the socket bonus.

edit: damnit! semi-repost! unlike the post on page 3 however, this one factors in a new gun and weapon, as well as the fact that the trinkets stack (according to a post on Wowhead /cough)...)

Still 4 items to get the top SBV gear for a warrior

- Girdle of Stability from Gurtogg (which i should get soon )
    - Steam Chain of Valor
    - Signet of the Last defender
    - Glyph of Deflection

With my stuff, my shield slam crits cloth for 3600 (without deathwish and impale, a simply classic prot spec).

Honestly i love it ... for example i block (with 39% it happens a lot) between 900 and 1200 (t5 bonus and autoblocker) quite frequently. It is very fun to tank void reaver from 100% to 20% without loosing agro

I just dont know how to get Glyph of Deflection ... it seems quite hard to go to Naxx now

Quite a few new items with BV where introduced in 2.3.

Head:
    Battleworn Tuskguard +51
    Shoulder:
    Pauldrons of Stone Resolve +30
    Legs:
    Unwavering Legguards +59
    Feet:
    Sabatons of the Righteous Defender +30
    Jungle Stompers +42 +5 socket bonus
    Finger:
    Signet of the Last Defender +42
    Shield:
    Bulwark of the Amani Empire +183

And two more that weren't in your list yet:

Hands:
    Topaz-Studded Battlegrips +5 from socket bonus
    Trinket:
    Styleen's Impeding Scarab +24

I might be forgetting some paladin badge items perhaps, as I don't have those in my sheets. I've got about 800 block value now, if I have a little more, I can solo Durn the Hungerer without getting any damage :-).

Edit: Bleh, I was too stupid to see that the thread had multiple pages.

Sorry for the delay. I had taken a long hiatus, and almost quit the game. But this guide will be updated in the very near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Grabmill View Post

And two more that weren't in your list yet:

Hands:
    Topaz-Studded Battlegrips +5 from socket bonus
    This item was not added since I usually limited the items to the top 5 (with exceptions like Shields), and only 5 BV pales in comparison to the others.

On a separate note, I've finally updated the guide! Hope you all enjoy the work I put into it.

long time reader - first time poster

First, this is a nice sbv reference. Thanks for it. I used the spare time on the 2.4 PTR to test the impale/deathwish build and therefore i looked whats in my bags (872BV from the char-screen). I saw some 3kish crits while soloing but nothing special.

I have a question concerning Eko's Ultimate SBV gear. You proposed to use +10str gems in order to reach the highest possible amount of pure blockvalue (+12 SBV in sum).

Comparing the effective result with the used item budget, i'm wondering whether it won't be useful to socket +hit and crit +instead. Sure, this wont produce lower shield slams crits but it will produce (a lot) more of them.
    Except from the purpose of ss-high-scoring and world-recording, this would seem much more reliable to me in all three aspects of the game.

How adviseable is a SBV set forced to Hit/Crit for (effectly) doing solo/pvp/5man content?

(Besides my question, it seems clear to me, that the [item]Battleworn Tuskguard[/item] will loose against each other meta-sockable-helmets once the [item]Eternal Earthstorm Diamond[/item] will be released. I guess this baby is the most wanted one around here )

The new meta-gem will be a plus, so too (as posted by Cider in his blog a while ago) will be the new T6 because it allows the 4pc T6 bonus to stack with the 2pc T5 bonus.
    My current set is 900 BV unbuffed (hits 1290 with T5 bonus and trinket) and I don't have the belt off Bloodboil or a second block value trinket yet (could eek out more with ZA gear but it looks too ugly for me to use).
    In 2.4 it is possible to hit 1887 BV with both trinkets and T5 bonus - then you get to apply the T6 bonus to the Shield Slam damage.
    There are no men like me, there is only me.

i can't find you on the armory could you put a direct link to you on the armory so i can see the stats :-) ty very much:-)

Help Please,

seems there is always more to learn. i am trying to figure out my SBV and according to this i cant see it in game or on my armory. but i cant ignore this if i want to be better . If you have the time please help me to calculate my SBV sorry for the Nub Question but i gotta learn some way

Actually i just found a site minutes later for all those in need like me but afraid to ask here's a link for ya

Block Value: Everything you ever wanted to know - Warriors - TankingTips.com

Please if any one knows that this is a bad link as far as it being the wrong info please tell me and i will remove it ASAP
    Last edited by KAOSFAYT; 05-08-2008 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Found Help

+ Reply to Thread