+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2.4 Shield Block Value Gear Guide (2.3.X Updated)

2.4 Shield Block Value Gear Guide (2.3.X Updated)

Devro’s Shield Block Value Gear Guide (2.3.X Updated)
    Or DSBVGG. :P

Change Log:
    1/28/2008 - Updated "Introduction" slightly and updated with 2.3.X Itemization (Changes are in Dark Orange [Sorry about the long delay!])
    As an added bonus (and for completeness), pre-BC gear has been added as well.

I do not really want to have an introduction, but I feel this guide needs one since there may be questions or concerns for a guide of this type. Shield Block Value (which will be henceforth abbreviated as either SBV or BV) and its use is not quite as well known as the more popular forms of damage output or damage mitigation. The first reason for this is the most simple: it doesn’t even appear in your character sheet (or armory page for that matter) and for most people, if it is out of sight, it is out of mind. The second reason why SBV is not as well known is because it is relatively such a small number. When a boss is hitting a tank for 12k damage per hit, a 500 point block seems a bit insignificant, right? Furthermore, a 1k Shield Slam critical hit also seems insignificant when a two-hand weapon coupled with Mortal Strike can break 2k damage when critted.

So why is BV so important? Some will contend that it really is not important at all and that you should solely focus on avoidance or attribute stats. Others may say that it has some value, but it is not a necessity to tanking. Still others will say that BV has a very high personal value. Personally, I would place myself with the last group because I think BV has a lot of value in all three forms of World of Warcraft: soloing, PvPing, and Grouping/Raiding.

Many tanks prefer to wear DPS gear when soloing or farming, and pre-BC, I would agree with these people since there were many buffs that had not been implemented to the game before the expansion. First and foremost, there were extremely few pieces of gear that gave BV. The first set of items introducing BV was the Dreadnaught set that dropped in Naxxramas, in which maybe 5% of the world population experienced more than half of the entire instance (I was lucky to be in a guild that cleared everything except 4 Horsemen, Sapphiron, and Kel’Thuzad before the expansion). However, after certain in-game buffs to Protection Warrior soloing (better SBV itemization, Shield Slam damage based upon BV rather than AP [Attack Power], and a great enhancement in the damage of Revenge), a Protection Warrior soloing was more viable than ever, especially at the 70th level. When I solo in my SBV gear, mobs below level 68 would be lucky to hit me more than two times because of my high avoidance and BV and anything above level 67 would be lucky to hit me more than five times. I finish every battle with 98% hp or more and can continue like this without stopping to rest. With my talent specialization and gear (check the US armory, Greymane server, Carcinoma), I can currently hit Shield Slam crits of approximately 1600 to 2100 in raids pretty often and as I collect more gear, that number will only continue to grow.

BV probably has the least logical application in PvP, but it is still somewhat viable, and being extremely hard to kill from a melee DPS’ perspective is extremely fun. If you have not already done so, please visit: Current Shield Slam Records - TheorySpot for a few movies and screenshots of Shield Slam crits. Currently, the record is over 8k damage, which is quite an exceptional number for a Protection specialized Warrior (and yes, I understand that many Protection PvP Warriors invest somewhat heavily into the Fury tree as well).
    BV has at least as much value in Groups and Raids as Soloing and Farming if not more. Blocking a hit prevents a tank from getting crit upon which minimizes the damage taken by the tank. I will not get into the math, but many claim that Shield Slam is the Warrior’s best threat-scaling ability. It is simple: the higher your SBV, the more threat your Shield Slam creates and since melee damage get a 2.0x (more with talents) on critical hits, that is even more threat generated (and trust me, with my talent spec, I crit a LOT on bosses). Blocking is a bit like stacking Stamina gear for tanks, only less reliable. When you block, you prevent some damage from depleting your health bar. The more damage you block the more breathing room you give your healers. Conversely, the more health you have, the larger the breathing room your healers have to heal you. Again, SBV is like having Stamina only less reliable, since you always have that extra health from Stamina, but you do not always block.

Anyways, you (the reader) do not have to agree with me on every point in this guide, but I believe I do make valid points. :P
    And now as Barnes in Karazhan would say, “On with the show!”

Head
    • {+33}Horns of the Illidari [Shadowmoon Valley quest] (Horns of the Illidari - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+35}Onslaught Greathelm [Warrior T6] (Onslaught Greathelm - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+39}Warbringer Greathelm [Warrior T4] (Warbringer Greathelm - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+40}Crystalforge Faceguard [Paladin T5] (Crystalforge Faceguard - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+45}Faceplate of the Impenetrable [Illidan] (Faceplate of the Impenetrable - Items - World of Warcraft)
    {+51}Battlesworn Tuskguard [Hex Lord Malacrass] (Battlesworn Tuskguard - Items - World of Warcraft)

Neck
    • {+15}Natasha’s Battle Chain [Blade’s Edge Mountains quest] (Natasha's Battle Chain - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+15}Thalodien’s Charm [Netherstorm quest] (Thalodien's Charm - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+29}Steam-Hinge Chain of Valor [Steamvaults] (Steam-Hinge Chain of Valor - Items - World of Warcraft)

Shoulder
    • {+26}Nexus-Guard’s Pauldrons [Netherstorm quest] (Nexus-Guard's Pauldrons - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+27}Justicar Shoulderguards [Paladin T4] (Justicar Shoulderguards - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+32}Destroyer Shoulderguards [Warrior T5] (Destroyer Shoulderguards - Items - World of Warcraft)
    {+30}Pauldrons of Stone Resolve [Zul'Aman First Timed Chest] (Pauldrons of Stone Resolve - Items - World of Warcraft)

Cloak
    • {+29}Ironscale War Cloak [Heroic Slave Pens] (Ironscale War Cloak - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+29}Burnoose of Shifting Ages [Black Morass] (Burnoose of Shifting Ages - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+29}Devilshark Cape [Steamvaults] (Devilshark Cape - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+38}Farstrider Defender’s Cloak [Heroic Badges] (Farstrider Defender's Cloak - Items - World of Warcraft)

Chest
    • {+39}Panzar’Thar Breastplate [Nightbane] (Panzar'Thar Breastplate - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+45}Warbringer Chestguard [Warrior T4] (Warbringer Chestguard - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+47}Lightbringer Chestguard [Paladin T6] (Lightbringer Chestguard - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+51}Crystalforge Chestguard [Paladin T5] (Crystalforge Chestguard - Items - World of Warcraft)

Wrist
    • {+23}Vambraces of Daring [Heroic Hellfire Ramparts] (Vambraces of Daring - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+33}Vambraces of Courage [Attumen] (Vambraces of Courage - Items - World of Warcraft)

Hands
    • {+30}Crystalforge Handguards [Paladin T5] (Crystalforge Handguards - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+35}Justicar Handguards [Paladin T4] (Justicar Handguards - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+36}Gauntlets of Enforcement [Teron Gorefiend] (Gauntlets of Enforcement - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+38}Dauntless Handguards [Hellfire Peninsula quest] (Dauntless Handguards - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+38}Iron Gauntlets of the Maiden [Maiden of Virtue] (Iron Gauntlets of the Maiden - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+39}Thatia’s Self-Correcting Gauntlets [Arcatraz] (Thatia's Self-Correcting Gauntlets - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+44}Destroyer Handguards [Warrior T5] (Destroyer Handguards - Items - World of Warcraft)

Waist
    • {+29}Sha’tari Vindicator’s Waistguard [Netherstorm quest] (Sha'tari Vindicator's Waistguard - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+33}Belt of the Guardian [Crafted] (Belt of the Guardian - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+38}Girdle of Mighty Resolve [Gurtogg Bloodboil] (Girdle of Mighty Resolve - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+56}Girdle of Stability [Gurtogg Bloodboil] (Girdle of Stability - Items - World of Warcraft)

Legs
    • {+33}Destroyer Legguards [Warrior T5] (Destroyer Legguards - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+35}Crystalforge Legguards [Paladin T5] (Crystalforge Legguards - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+42}Onslaught Legguards [Warrior T6] (Onslaught Legguards - Items - World of Warcraft)
    {+59}Unwavering Legguards [Heroic Badges] (Unwavering Legguards - Items - World of Warcraft)

Feet
    • {+23}Ascendant’s Boots [Shadowmoon Valley quest] (Ascendant's Boots - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+30}Red Havoc Boots [BoP Crafted] (Red Havoc Boots - Items - World of Warcraft)
    {+30}Sabatons of the Righteous Defender [Heroic Badges] (Sabatons of the Righteous Defender - Items - World of Warcraft)
    {+42}Jungle Stompers [Nalorakk] (Jungle Stompers - Items - World of Warcraft)

Finger
    • {+15}Protector’s Mark of Redemption [Shadowmoon Valley quest] (Protector's Mark of the Redemption - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+24}Seventh Ring of the Tirisfalen [The Eye trash] (Seventh Ring of the Tirisfalen - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+39}Dath’Remar’s Ring of Defense [Mechanar] (Dath'Remar's Ring of Defense - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+44}Band of the Eternal Defender [Mount Hyjal rep ring] (Band of Eternity - Items - World of Warcraft)

Trinket
    • {+59}{+200 On Use}Gnomeregan Auto-Blocker 600 [Heroic Badges] (Gnomeregan Auto-Blocker 600 - Items - World of Warcraft)

Warrior Shields
    • {+137}Aldori Legacy Defender [Gruul the Dragonkiller] (Aldori Legacy Defender - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+152}Merciless Gladiator's Shield Wall [Arena PVP] (Merciless Gladiator's Shield Wall - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+155}Shield of Impenetrable Darkness [Nightbane] (Shield of Impenetrable Darkness - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+160}Kaz'rogal's Hardened Heart [Kaz'rogal] (Kaz'rogal's Hardened Heart - Items - World of Warcraft)
    {+167}Vengeful Gladiator's Shield Wall [Arena PVP] (Vengeful Gladiator's Shield Wall - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+174}Bulwark of Azzinoth [Illidan Stormrage] (Bulwark of Azzinoth - Items - World of Warcraft)
    {+183}Bulwark of Amani Empire [Jan'alai] (Bulwark of Amani Empire - Items - World of Warcraft)

Paladin (Spell Damage) Shields
    • {+115}Mazthoril Honor Shield [Heroic Badges] (Mazthoril Honor Shield - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+122}Dragonheart Flameshield [Nightbane] (Dragonheart Flameshield - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+152}Merciless Gladiator's Barrier [Arena PVP] (Merciless Gladiator's Barrier - Items - World of Warcraft)
    {+160}Illidari Runeshield [Black Temple Trash] (Illidari Runeshield - Items - World of Warcraft)
    {+167}Vengeful Gladiator's Barrier [Arena PVP] (Vengeful Gladiator's Barrier - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+174}Antonidas's Aegis of Rapt Concentration [Archimonde] (Antonidas's Aegis of Rapt Concentration - Items - World of Warcraft)

As per request, I have decided to add SBV Gear from TBC instances and quests, but they are listed separately from post-BC items.

Helm
    None

Necklace
    • {+15}Gluth's Missing Collar [Gluth] (Gluth's Missing Collar - Items - World of Warcraft)

Shoulder
    • {+27}Pauldrons of Wrath [Chromaggus] (Pauldrons of Wrath - Items - World of Warcraft)

Cloak
    None

Chest
    None

Wrist
    None

Hands
    • {+21}Dreadnaught Gauntlets [Maexxna] (Dreadnaught Gauntlets - Items - World of Warcraft)

Waist
    • {+18}Dreadnaught Waistguard [Heigan, Noth, Gluth] (Dreadnaught Waistguard - Items - World of Warcraft)

Legs
    • {+32}Dreadnaught Legplates [Loatheb] (Dreadnaught Leglates - Items - World of Warcraft)

Feet
    • {+14}Sabatons of Wrath [Broodlord Lashlayer] (Sabatons of Wrath - Items - World of Warcraft)

Finger
    None

Trinket
    • {+23}Glyph of Deflection [Sapphiron] (Glyph of Deflection - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+24}Styleen's Impeding Scarab [Flamegor] (Styleen's Impeding Scarab - Items - World of Warcraft)

Shields
    • {+108}The Face of Death [Sapphiron] (The Face of Death - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+90}Elementium Reinforced Bulwark [Chromaggus] (Elementium Reinforced Bulwark - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+90}Shield of Condemnation [Kel'Thuzad] (Shield of Condemnation - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+88}Blessed Qiraji Bulwark [Imperial Qiraji Armaments] (Blessed Qiraji Bulwark - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+78}Death's Bargain [Gluth] (Death's Bargian - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+78}The Plague Bearer [Patchwerk] (The Plague Bearer - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+78}Stygian Buckler [Naxxramas Trash] (Stygian Buckler - Items - World of Warcraft)
    • {+75}Wormscale Blocker [Ouro] (Wormscale Blocker - Items - World of Warcraft)

Special Note: The separation of spell damage shields and labeling them as "Paladin Shields" does not mean that this guide does not support Protection Paladins getting shields listed in the "Warrior Shields" section. The reasoning behind having a "Paladin Shields" section is for those Paladins that may want to use those specific types of shields for specific types of tanking (such as weak-hitting, AoE trash tanking).

A Warrior with moderate effort (meaning quests and normal/heroic instances done), not including raiding, should have a SBV of at least 350. With Karazhan and T4 gear, one should be able to break 400 SBV. With SSC/TK/T5 gear, one should be able to break 500. This is not a definitive guide, but rather someone one may use as a benchmark.

With the addition of new Heroic Badge gear and Zul'Aman, a Warrior can easily break 600 Shield Block Value without stepping foot into SSC/TK (assuming one can clear Zul'Aman). After looking and calculating myself, I can see at least 660 SBV without using pre-TBC gear and without counting any bonuses from enchants and strength bonuses.

Any comments, questions, and constructive criticism is appreciated.
    Last edited by Kazeyonoma; 11-12-2008 at 02:44 PM.

{+23}Ascendant’s Boots [Shadowmoon Valley quest] (Onslaught Legguards - Items - World of Warcraft) needs fixing to Ascendant's Boots - Items - World of Warcraft

Very nice to have a collection of items =). You could maybe add shields by doing: The best raid block value shield, the best heroic block value shield, the best 5 man block value shield and the best quest reward shield =)?

Quote Originally Posted by nicki View Post
    {+23}Ascendant’s Boots [Shadowmoon Valley quest] (Onslaught Legguards - Items - World of Warcraft) needs fixing to Ascendant's Boots - Items - World of Warcraft
    Fixed, thanks.

Great guide, thanks, I was needing something just like it.

On a side note, as someone pointed out very well, with improved shield spec (30% more damage) and 1H weapon spec (10% more damage), under defensive stance and defiance (1.49 more threat produced), with a 10% crit chance(1.1), then 1 SBV gives you 1*1.3*1.1*1.1*1.49 = 2.34 threat when you shield slam, and that is why it scales well.

Get an item with lets say, +40 SBV, that means extra 93.6 threat every shield slam, or 15.6 more threat/s, which is excellent given that 40 SBV is cheap to acquire

While it doesn't have any innate SBV on it, it does have a rather nice SBV click effect that you can pair up with the Autoblocker. You can continually alternate back and forth with them effectively increasing your SBV by a large average chunk.

Dabiri's Enigma
    Binds when picked up
    Unique
    Trinket
    Equip: Increases defense rating by +30 (12.7)
    Use: Increases block rating by 125 (15.9%) for 15 sec.
    Cooldown: 1.50 min
    Item Level 109

Thottbot World of Warcraft: Dabiri's Enigma

Just curious, is there any reason you didn't list any capes? I can think of at least 3 offhand that have BV.

Nice list.

That's block rating, not block value.
    Block rating, unfortunately, isn't very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowynn View Post
    While it doesn't have any innate SBV on it, it does have a rather nice SBV click effect that you can pair up with the Autoblocker. You can continually alternate back and forth with them effectively increasing your SBV by a large average chunk.

Dabiri's Enigma
    Binds when picked up
    Unique
    Trinket
    Equip: Increases defense rating by +30 (12.7)
    Use: Increases block rating by 125 (15.9%) for 15 sec.
    Cooldown: 1.50 min
    Item Level 109

Thottbot World of Warcraft: Dabiri's Enigma

Quote Originally Posted by Klimpen View Post
    Just curious, is there any reason you didn't list any capes? I can think of at least 3 offhand that have BV.
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention! I'll add that as soon as I get a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by gardek View Post
    That's block rating, not block value.
    Block rating, unfortunately, isn't very useful.
    Whoops! Should have paid closer attention to the tooltip. Have it in my quest log, just never got around to doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Devro View Post
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention! I'll add that as soon as I get a chance!
    Cloaks added, and I may add in the top 5 shields from Raids/Heroics/Quests as someone had mentioned.

The quest for Ascendents Boots requires 300 riding skill. Hopefully this helps some other poor sap that decides to go and solo a level 72 elite without realizing he can't do the quest.

yep, I did that too

Don't forget Sabatons of Wrath! :P

In all seriousness, this is a nice reference.

Nice list indeed

For completeness you may want to add Timewarden's Leggings as they have +6 SBV socket bonus

Timewarden's Leggings - Items - World of Warcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko View Post
    For completeness you may want to add Timewarden's Leggings as they have +6 SBV socket bonus
    I currently am sitting at 604 sbv and never once did I realize that those leggin's had that socket bonus. I guess that is expected from people who just socket stamina

Looks like I will be pulling these out of the bank and replacing the gems

Thanks Geeko

[item]Sabatons of Wrath[/item]
    [item]Styleen's Impeding Scarab[/item]
    I know these are from BWL but some of us still have them :P

You can also use this link: Items - World of Warcraft

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.
    Panda Cub with a Gnome pet!

naxx raid happening again on my server to try to go back and do server first kel'thuzad kill, i'm gunning for sapphiron's trinket!

I'm at 638 sbv right now in sbv gear (i'm wearing it in my armory), gonna gun for new ones.

current SS record without impale or enrage/deathwish is at 2600 woot!

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Am I correct in remembering that +str also effects you SBV? If so, you should modify the SBV values for any items in the list that also have +str.

+ Reply to Thread