+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lag, TPS, the GCD, and me

Lag, TPS, the GCD, and me

How much does lag affect your TPS? I mostly play a prot paladin for tanking, but I also have a 70 warrior, prot spec (jagdpanther on uther), that I've been gearing up.

I don't hardly ever die in 5-mans anymore, so I've been using my sockets for strength and hit rating rather than dodge and defense and trying to stack as much block value as possible. Nonetheless, my TPS still hovers between 300-400 most of the time. My lag on a bad night can reach 1000ms easily, usually hovers between 300-400ms. This this severely retarding my TPS? I came to think this because if you add in 1/2 a second (500ms) to the GCD, that's 2 seconds. You're causing about 1/3 less TPS assuming I'm right and lag causes you to only be able to use an ability once every 2 seconds instead of every 1.5

This isn't an issue on the paladin; holy shield, judging, and consecrate are all on 8-10 second timers, so you rarely fight the GCD and lag is a much smaller percentage of the ability cooldown.

If this is going to really handicap me I think I'll just respec arms and let the pally tank everything.

To my knowledge, abilities on the GCD get a slight queue period before they occur; you can press an ability while another is being used and, assuming it's in that window of time, the ability will be used immediately following the last one.

I have the same problem as Brute. The thing about playing with 1000+ ping is that instant non-GCD abilities like taunt often dont go off in time, and lag definitely factors into my tps. I always perform much better when my ping is normal. But to add on to what Cider said, once you have agro it's pretty easy to keep it due to the queue sytem. But on the rare occasion you lose it, it's an absolute bitch to get it back due to the delay.

that sounds about right cider, another thing you can do then to help with lag issues Brute is to make macro that queue things up in a sequence, hitting 2 or three buttons as fast as possible, will ensure that you don't miss GCD's =P

Edit:
    the only major issue I can see from it is interrupt fast cast spells (i hate trying to pummel a lesser healing wave in arena -_-')

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Ok so in order to fight this, I should be jamming the next ability I want to use to make sure it gets in asap?

I've given up on shield-bashing the robots in mech

that should work as long as the last ability doesn't get overriden by your new one, which can be an issue, talk to Mozman about sequence macros they make life easier.

I have had a similar issue, since for some reason my latency hangs out around 400 - 600ms every single time I step into Khara.

Macros do help, but other than that I have just had to kind of bare down and force myself to go through a disciplined rotation. I'm sure there are things we can do to get around it. For example I've been trying to make keeping Heroic Strikes queued a habit, which I am embarased to say I had not been very good about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalken View Post
    "I'll let the dragon hit me in the face, you stab it in the ass."

I would like to say that this issue has been resolved.

I didn't know how the hell you guys were getting devastate to hit over 200 without epic gear and a ton of strength, or where these legendary 1500 shield slam crits were coming from. I desperately wanted to leave the 300-400TPS club. So i made a new build designed to max out my threat and rage generation, and when I went to the trainer, accidentally hit the train skills button in stead of the respec button. You know what I saw? All the higher ranks of shield slam and devastate past 1. Gawd I feel like a noob.

Well after respeccing anyway and training all my new skills, I went out to terrokar with my stacked up Shield block value and instantly got a 1500 shield slam crit and devastate now hits for nearly 300.

For an armory check Jagdpanther of Uther if you want to rag on my build or gear (feel free to, btw).

Flame on.

LOL! You're not the first, trust me on this.

Um... I'm not saying that I would do that mind you. Nope. Not me. Never. No sir. Ok, maybe once...

The only up side from this is that with my gimpy skills, I have become adept at holding agro despite them, as well as mob chasing/stance dancing for when I do lose them. Things can only go up from here.

hahaha, reminds me of the time i respec'd 33/28/0 for pvp, and forgot to train my mortal strike skills. i was like wtf why is whirlwind hitting for harder than my MS.

needless to say i went 6-4 lol

+ Reply to Thread