+ Reply to Thread

Thread: spike vs tough shield

spike vs tough shield

I know this has been hashed to death, but I still cannot find the information I'm looking for. I'm going over the differences in threat generation for felsteel spike and tough shield and I'm missing some information. This is what I have so far:

The Spike
    Use: Attaches a Felsteel Spike to your shield that deals 26-38 damage every time you block with it.

Tough Shield
    Permanently enchant a shield to give 18 additional block value. Requires a level 35 or higher item.

-Spike gives 32 damage on average x 1-handed weapon spec = 3.2 bonus + 32 base = 35.2 avg damage each block

-Tough Shield is 18 damage x 1-handed weapon spec = 1.8 bonus + 18 base = 19.8 damage x Shield Mastery = 5.94 bonus + 19.8 damage = 25.74 damage each shield slam

-Both subject to the same mob armor mitigation so that is not factored.

-Warrior guaranteed blocks every 3 seconds if spamming shield block. Spike dps is then 35.2/3 = 11.73 dps

-Assuming warrior gets a slam in every cooldown tough shield dps is 25.74/6 = 4.29 dps

What I'm missing is what are good assumptions/ways to deal with:

-crit. Can the spike crit? If it can't I need to account for crit shield slams and don't know what a good average crit rate is against a level 73 mob while in tank gear. This would be assuming no impale bonus.

-miss/dodge/parry. This is the big one I don't think I've seen before when comparing the spike to the enchant. Shield slams are avoided quite a bit, while blocks are not. I'm wondering what a good set of numbers would be on boss avoidance, or does it just vary too widely to even try to figure?

Thanks for any help. I hope I'm not too far off the mark on what I've done so far. I know spikes are the much maligned redheaded step children of the tanking world, but if a spike gives me 15-20 more TPS it seems like it might be worthwhile. 18 stam would be tough to give up, but I'd also love a nice semi-passive boost to my threat.

for pure threat purposes the spike wins out almost always, for big shield slam damage the tough wins of course.

I think Cider summed it up this way in another thread about Block Value vs. Stam enchants.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

+ Reply to Thread