+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pally tanking

Pally tanking

A former guildie told me that when he tanks as a pally he opens with SoR. I was thinking casting SoC before hand, immediately judge it and cast SoR immediately after. He said that just using SoR and not judging SoC first generates more threat. It seems to me like the JoC would help your initial threat even more. Can i get some other opinions on this? (i am a pretty newbie pally tank)

When I played a Prot Pally, I'd almost always pull with Avengers Shield, so initial threat wasn't an issue.

The only time I'd use SoC was on some boss fights where mana wasn't an issue, and people weren't taking any AE damage. In those cases, I'd judge light or wisdom depending on the situation.

Between avengers shield, consecrate, holy shield, and SoR/JoR, threat was really never an issue for me; especially after raising my spell damage to over 200.

Okay, just to be clear, I'm assuming when you say SoC/JoC you mean Seal/Judgment of the Crusader. If this is the case, please refer to them as SotC/JotC. SoC and JoC are often used to refer to Seal/Judgment of Command, the ret paladin seal.

What Judgment you open with is very situational. For trash and very short fights, generally you like to blast the enemy in the face with JoR for some quick threat.

For medium-long fights that are DPS races and you need to maintain a solid threat lead, stick JotC up there early. If you can open with an Avenger's Shield and Consecrate before the boss is on you, you can probably spare the first Judgment doing no threat and sticking JotC up there off the bat.

Otherwise, if it's a fight you're really well geared for, or that you ranged DPS had to expend a lot of mana for, or whatever, you might want to consider JoW for extra mana early, so that you get the mana gain over the entire fight.

If it's a fight where you're getting smacked in the face hard and repeatedly, JoL is your Judgment. It provides a small but effective health boost. It adds a little onto your life span, helps the healers out a bit.

Examples from Kara and Gruul:
    For Moroes, I stick Wisdom on Moroes, since I have ample time to build a threat lead before the DPS turns to him.

For tanking the priest in Gruul's Lair vs Maulgar, I open with JoR, as he's not going to last long.

For tanking Gruul, I'd probably use JoL or JoW, as I'd only have the time in between shatters to build aggro, so JotC wouldn't provide that built-over-time extra threat oomph it might against, say, Void Reaver.

For Malchezaar, I throw JoW up there, since he's a dual-wielder and eating a lot of Holy Shield charges, giving me a lot of threat and making JotC a bit extraneous except in groups with very well-geared ranged DPS.

That's my take on things.
    I am the light that brings the dawn.
    Something Wicked this way comes.

thanks very much for the replies. as i said im new to pally tanking and appreciate the help.

+ Reply to Thread