+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Guides We're Looking For (Write One!)

What about a guide about the passive crush immunity? The principle, the stuff needed, all this sort of things.

I would gladly write it myself, but i'm a bit worried by my rusted english

Quote Originally Posted by criss View Post
    You know what would be nice, actually? Tanking guides for raiding encounters. When I first started raiding, I was petrified the guides on Bosskillers and WoWWiki just weren't detailed enough for a new tank. Hydross is great example. There are just certain things that tanks need to know that the boss guides never share.
    I could probably write this kind of guide; what's the method for submitting a guide and would a "How to Tank This Boss" style guide be in real demand?

Edit: additionally what sort of questions would you want to see answered in such a guide? Sort of a layout of what a tank does in this fight, as well as multiple tank perspectives for fights where it's not a one man show? Other miscellaneous tips as well I guess...Hydross is a really good example. It's not just that you could discuss the complexity of the fight itself, but then you have to talk about the gear you need to use regarding resistance and defense/resilience, you need to point out the "demilitarized zone" in the middle where transitions can get messy, probably add a brief note about what offtanks for adds do etc. When I think about it, Hydross is actually a pretty neat encounter and even though it is a resist fight, that makes it more unique than 95% of the other boss fights in the game.

The only problem is that I haven't fought anything in SSC/TK in months; same with Magtheridon and Gruul's Lair, and if I've fought any of these bosses recently it's with gear far beyond what a tank learning the fight would have (except Hydross hahaha). So I'd be working off memory (mine's pretty good but still...) and if anything got changed recently I wouldn't really know about it. I have an amazing working knowledge of everything in Hyjal and Black Temple though...but generally by the time a tank gets there he's usually seasoned enough to know what to do, and bosskillers doesn't leave much out, the fights really are that simple to tank.

I think I'm gonna start working on this.
    Last edited by Marn; 11-10-2007 at 04:27 AM.

Marn, this would be wonderful. Encounter by encounter strategy for tanks is difficult to find writers for.

How many bosses should I include? Stuff from Karazhan & Gruuls? Or just Magtheridon, SSC, TK, Hyjal and BT?
    My Armory (May be in PvP Gear)

From a personal perspective, SSC/TK would be nice as we're currently working on FLK for example.

What I'd like to get out of a guide like that I guess is;

a) what kind of damage does the boss do in terms of what I should wear? I know I used CombatMonitor extensively for this when first heading into MC a long time ago, switching gear as I learned what kind of incoming damage I got and got more comfortable with my healers.
    b) Pulls - any special tricks (such as invisibility potions for Hydross) worthwhile knowing about to ensure a simple pull that rarely goes wrong.
    c) Positioning - where to get the boss, whether you need to keep your back to a wall, or avoid standing somewhere due to some boss ability.
    d) Any specific boss ability to watch out for, e.g. chugging an Ironshield Potion when phase two starts on Prince, etc.

I think that would cover the basics to take a nub tank through a new boss-fight. The rest sort of gets figured out along the way and together with the rest of the raid as there's always some tweaks to be done due to raid compositions.

Those are good examples of stuff to include; sometimes I feel like I just tank without paying attention to what I'm actually doing, so if I were prompted to identify these types of things I'd be able to say them without gliding through it. I'm worried that I'm going to end up writing stuff like "he does stuff, hold threat on him while your dps dps'es him and your healers heal [you/the raid/you and the raid]," even though that's a perfectly accurate description of every encounter in the game.
    My Armory (May be in PvP Gear)

+ Reply to Thread