+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Death Toy

Death Toy

Ever had a moment when you realized something terrible was going to happen, but you couldn't avoid it? I did last night.

Tempest Keep was solid. As best I recall I did not die through the course of the evening. Couple close calls on Al'ar, but no deaths. The raid didn't wipe even though there were several apps who had not seen the content.

We get to Kael'thas. To describe the first phases of this fight: Phase 1 has four adds coming at you, one at a time; among these are a mob that behaves like Buru with a slow walk and a gaze, a mob that behaves like Magmadar with fear on a 30 second cooldown, and an engineer. During Phase 2 a series of magical weapons are fought, one of which is [item]Staff of Disintegration[/item]. Once these weapons are defeated, they are lootable by everyone in the raid. In Phase 3, all four of the first mobs must be handled at a time.

This is the platform where the weapons are fought and, later, Kael'thas himself.

I'm the Sanguinar tank. Basically, I break fears and hold aggro on a mob while the raid kills it. Pretty darn easy. Once my guy is down, I take the [item]Cosmic Infuser[/item], a magical mace in Phase 2. Once that is down, I pick up [item]Infinity Blade[/item] for dispelling Mind Controls in Phases 4 and 5. I move into position for the start of Phase 3 -- Sanguinar again, but with the other adds up.

In Phase 3, I am tanking Sanguinar, just as in Phase 1. However, the 25-man raid is split across the entire (quite expansive) hall handling three other adds as well as the [item]Phaseshift Bulwark[/item], which is not yet defeated.

This is much of the area the raid is split across handling five or more simultaneous mobs.

Something goes wrong. Terribly so.

I notice a debuff. Remote Toy. 1 minute debuff which periodically stuns me for four seconds.

Of course [item]Staff of Disintegration[/item] is being used, so there should be no problem. After all, everyone is doing their job correctly, right?

Then, Thaladred, nearly dead, sets his gaze on me. Just like Buru, I need to move or I will die. If Thaladred hits me while I am tanking Sanguinar, the raid will wipe.

So I move.

Only I don't.

<You are affected by Remote Toy>

And for four seconds, I watch my life flash before me. All the mobs I haven't killed. All the mountains I haven't climbed. All the women I never met. On vent I call it out -- I'm hit by Remote Toy, I'm stunned, I can't move. Vent goes silent, and everyone who can is watching their impending doom as Thaladred approaches me, step by step, second by second.

Three. Two. One.

Then, Thaladred drops from 3&#37; to dead less than 2 yards from melee range. Nice.

With any luck, next time people will actually use their legendary staff.

wow, 3&#37; to 0 in a move is quite amazing O_o, lol so I presume kael was downed after?

That's an intensive fight, hardest in BC from what I hear.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

There is sometimes a bug where if person A with the staff equipped is within range of person B who has the staff buff activated that person A will not be able to activate their staff since they already have the buff. If person C is within range of person A but not person B, the will not receive the buff. I have a feeling that's what happened last night. That's why we ask everyone to activate their staff early and often. Doesn't happen too often, but when it does...it's a pain.
    http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/3012/paum1rp8.jpg

"As fish go, the naga on the loading screen is pretty hot." - Ciderhelm

Quote Originally Posted by Paumedie View Post
    There is sometimes a bug where if person A with the staff equipped is within range of person B who has the staff buff activated that person A will not be able to activate their staff since they already have the buff. If person C is within range of person A but not person B, the will not receive the buff. I have a feeling that's what happened last night. That's why we ask everyone to activate their staff early and often. Doesn't happen too often, but when it does...it's a pain.
    That makes sense. Was a memorable experience but not a bad one. The amazing thing is that he got killed so quickly and at just the right time.

Kaz, we actually didn't kill Kael that night, but for different reasons. To people who know the fight, I think it would be embarrassing to describe in detail the issues that came up in the first few minutes of the fight that caused us to wipe in the last few.

Be a man, you can tank both newbie

+ Reply to Thread