+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do I have too much stamina at the expense of def?

Do I have too much stamina at the expense of def?

My role is MT. We have cleared Kara, and are assembling now for Gruul.
    Currently at 483 defense. 81 resilliance allows me to go much lower. What are the practicle limits on how far I should push the def/stam trade off?

Thanks for any feedback.

The Armory

For immediate purposes (Gruul's Lair, Magtheridon, first half or so of SSC) you are fine. While your Defense isn't high, you are pulling in Avoidance numbers from gems and items; normally with lower Defense people have issues with not having any Avoidance, either, but you'll be fine.

However, improvement would be necessary to reliably move beyond that. You are using a lot of PVP gear, and some of that needs to change. Next chance you see Battlescar Boots or especially Boots of Elusion, pick them up. Wrynn Dynasty, pick it up. When you get Girdle of the Indomitable, pick it up.

If you can stomach losing the investment in a SSOE, replace your +12 slot in Khorium Destroyer with a Defense/Stam gem that matches the socket.

The quickest fix, though, is in your trinkets. Get [item]Adamantine Figurine[/item]. Or, if that's not possible, Moroes Pocketwatch as long as you keep good Resilience. If you are on a Mitigation-critical fight, replace your GAB-600 with it; if you are on a Threat-sensitive fight, replace your Blue-Heart-Shaped-Thing-In-The-Bottom with it (moving my mouse before I've had coffee is simply too though-intensive while typing).

Your Health and Armor stats are rock solid. In fact, I didn't break your Armor until this morning when I got my own S2 shield.

Your avoidance is really low, imo it could just be me though, on a fight like gruul avoidance is more crucial than hp when it comes to the silences, but you really need a balance because you dont want to get one hit early on. You should really be ok if you use your cooldowns on silences and your healers have you toped off before hand + hots.
    Last edited by Paruhdox; 08-28-2007 at 06:03 AM.

Youre doing great, imo. You seem to have done almost everything you can to max your gear without getting more drops.

You dont have too much stam, you'd be fine making upgrades which lower your avoidance and increase your stam/armor even more. Such as when you get chest, weapon upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    You are using a lot of PVP gear, and some of that needs to change. Next chance you see Battlescar Boots or especially Boots of Elusion, pick them up. Wrynn Dynasty, pick it up. When you get Girdle of the Indomitable, pick it up.
    I disagree, the PvP items you have are awesome.
    In fact, since you seem to be fine with doing PvP, I'd get the Veteran's Plate belt as an upgrade to your current belt. It would be like getting the Moroes belt, but with less avoidance and more threat, which is ok.

The PvP shoulders you wont replace until T5.

imo, the limit of when you stop trading avoidance for stam/armor is when you can no long make efficient tradeoffs with your current gear options. That is, when you would be giving up large amounts of avoidance to get small amounts more stam/armor from a different item. Essentially, if two pieces of tank gear are at much different item levels, always choose the higher level one. If they are near the same item level, choose the stam/armor one.

The PvP gear wins comparisons against lower level tank gear because it just has tons more itemization points, and much higher armor. Level 136 pvp gear is better than Level 110-115 tank gear most of the time. It is better for effective health, worse for avoidance, better for threat. Which is fine, on either bosses or trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Paruhdox View Post
    Your avoidance is really low, imo it could just be me though, on a fight like gruul avoidance is more crucial than hp when it comes to the silences, but you really need a balance because you dont want to get one hit early on. You should really be ok if you use your cooldowns on silences and your healers have you toped off before hand + hots.
    No. Of all the fights in the game, Gruul is one of the most heavily in favor of effective health over avoidance.

As long as your miss+dodge+parry is at least 40%, and the choices that you are making which stack stam/armor over avoidance are doing it in an efficient way, I wouldnt worry about needing more avoidance.

+ Reply to Thread