+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Block Value question.

Block Value question.

Where on your character sheet can you see where your Block Value is at? i know block rating is under defenses but i'm not sure if that at all ties into value. I know its a ridiculously noobish question, but i am stumped.

It isn't displayed on your character sheet sadly. Go out and block a mob, though with a high BV I'm not sure exactly what you could block. Mabye head to Slab/SV?

Yeah, it doesn't show up. You are asking a common question.

Prior to Naxxramas it was rare that you would see many items with Shield Block Value, and impossible to build it as a viable stat. That's most likely the reason it never made it to the Character Pane... though it sure would be nice if they added it soon.

Go block a mob for now, as Klimpen says. TankPoints by Whitetooth is a very good mod that you may want to pick up.

Cider beat me to it. Tankpoints is a mod that gives you your BV nymber (along with other helpful things), and let me say, it is SO much easier than manually adding the number up yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Klimpen View Post
    It isn't displayed on your character sheet sadly. Go out and block a mob, though with a high BV I'm not sure exactly what you could block. Mabye head to Slab/SV?
    I find Heroic Setthek Halls is where I have to test it these days. Just go up to the mob and hit Shield Block. Whatever amount is returned as blocked is your final Shield Block Value.

Its not perfect but this is the formula I use:

((Str / 20 + 1) + SBV from gear + Shield Block from Shield.)* 1.3 for shield mastery.

It gives a rough estimate, within +/- 10/20 sbv, but i've been off with this formula, so you're better off just blocking a mob that hits hard enough.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Hey guys, i took your advice and got Tankpoints, very useful mod! Is there a recommended BV number for starting Karazhan? cuz i'm not sure what to get first, the Azure Shield of Coldarra or the Gnomeragan Auto-blocker trinket.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazlar View Post
    cuz i'm not sure what to get first, the Azure Shield of Coldarra or the Gnomeragan Auto-blocker trinket.
    Autoblocker will be useful to you forever (though not every fight). The shield will be replaced in time, as soon as you get nightbane shield, gruul shield, or arena shield.

I barely had any block value when I started Karazhan. I was a new tank, and didn't really even see the value in it (ha, pun). Honestly, it's a great stat, but it isn't needed, especially when you're first starting out. I'd just suggest getting the autoblocker trinket, the devlishark cape, and maybe a block value ring if you haven't anything better. But if you're just starting out, I'd say there are other stats that are more important to focus on.

I made a thread on it in the WoW forums, before people post kara started posting, something in the 200-300 range is about normal, post kara, 500+ is the standard. with guys like nerfie hitting over 900.

Well here is my armory, i am half way to reverred with the Sha'tar and in a few more weeks will have the Merciless Shield, so i have options there, i think i will just save for the Auto-blocker.

(BTW, ignore the gloves i was fishing for some spicy crawdads )

auto-blocker will serve you like no other in terms of a combination mitigation/threat trinket. pulling off a 2k Shield Slam Crit on a mob 1 second into the fight GUARANTEES no accidental heal/early dps agro will occur, and for 3 more SS's you'll be pushing the threat meters to higher heights to allow good dps to ride the curve and kill things faster.

Yea, i totally see the Auto-blockers use, i'm just worried about losing defense from one of my Trinkets and if i upgrade to the Merciless shield, thats even more defense lost.

That's the great thing about resilience

It provides a higher yield to %crit reduction.

I think the resilience from the shield alone gives you about .5-.8% crit% reduction, which is equivalent to a lot of defense.

Currently I run my tanking set with [item]Merciless Gladiator's Plate Shoulders[/item] and [item]Merciless Gladiator's Plate Chestpiece[/item] which with bonus gives me 78ish resilience. And i am suffering from a drop in defense from two slots, but i still have around 460-470 defense (around 4.8-4.9% crit reduction) while having nearly 2% crit reduction from resilience alone. That means i could drop my defense all the way down to 3.6% crit reduction and still be uncrittable. ;]

Gotta love resilience when used right

+ Reply to Thread