+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Red Light vs. Blue Light & Eventide

Red Light vs. Blue Light & Eventide

I finally got around to installing my new keyboard and mouse that have been sitting here since my birthday a week and a half ago.

Specifically, the new Microsoft/Razer projects which have been getting great reviews across the board. I originally considered getting the Logitech gaming keyboard, but decided to go with Microsoft this time around, as the only difference between the two is length of macros... and I don't intend to start botting.

I'm somewhat new to gaming-specific hardware. The only advanced hardware I use on my computer is a WACOM tablet for drawing and for our old guild strategies; the background image of my Warrior in Dreadnaught on this website is a result of that tablet. Beyond that, I've had more luck with a $5 Dell keyboard over the last six years than with any other keyboard I've used. Perhaps the Dell keyboard will see it's day again.

In the first half hour of using the new mouse, I am shocked. The boost in precision is not only noticeable, I can't believe I've been missing this. I can't believe I ever played Soldier of Fortune II or Call of Duty with anything else. I'm tempted to get Photoshop installed again and see if I can do any precision artwork without the WACOM.

The keyboard is less noticeable. Keyboards are usually an exercise in adapting, and this is no exception. It's certainly nice, and the addition buttons in the vicinity of my left hand will make it easier to access more of the wide range of abilities a Warrior needs to have ready when tanking. Also, the ease of access to Windows Media Player controls while in-game will be a boon.

Red vs. Blue. I'm not referring to the Halo series, but instead to the backlighting on both the mouse and keyboard. Walking into the room and looking at my computer desk in the dark is awesome! Both peripherals have a bright, sleek blue glow.

But it brings to mind a lesson learned in Marine Corps boot camp. At the time I went through, knowing your practical knowledge was drilled into us -- despite all of the rigorous physical training, we were expected to spend at least an hour intently studying and knowing our training manuals. Pop quizzes were often held in the Hall of Knowledge as we went through mandatory courses on everything from First Aid to Marine Corps history; these quizzes determined whether we were the platoon on the dirt doing pushups for the next hour or the platoon doing a more relaxing drill session on the Parade Deck. In the end, the final test was quite easy, but the preparation and depth of knowledge all of the recruits learned was incredible.

Blue is not a night color. That's one of the early lessons in the Marine Corps. You never use a white or blue flashlight unless the situation calls for it; you use a red light. This is because the human eye cannot focus on a dark object and blue light at the same time without losing focus on the darkness. When using blue lights, you gain a clear focus on where the light is directed, at the complete expense of all of your surroundings. Red, on the other hand, fully preserves your night vision, and your eyes more readily adjust to it.

In this case, I'm curious if this doesn't transfer over to very dark games. My guess is that it does, as both the keyboard and mouse catch my eye even with the white background of this webpage. I don't expect it would interfere on any serious level with gaming, but it's just enough to make me scratch my head.

But, blue looks pretty darn cool. Which I'm guessing is why it's there. Not as a service to the gamer, other than to say, I have a freaking glowing keyboard and mouse!

Eventide. This is an extension of the above.

As many of you know, Eventide was my guild. It was the guild I started and took from Elwynn Forest to Kel'thuzad. Am I proud of the accomplishments of the guild? Absolutely, and I have every right to be.

The name has a particular meaning which most people are not aware of. It's not simply a cool-sounding name, and we (my sister, brother-in-law and I) didn't make it in response to another game or a story.

It is literally the "Even Tides." In Britain (and many other civilizations), tides were once used to tell time -- time is the evolution of the word tide. Eventide, as a result, meant the Even Time, or the time between light and darkness. Other words would be dusk, twilight, or evening, depending on what stage of the evolution of the language you are looking at.

Eventide, or Twilight, has a military purpose. Imagine the actual setting at dusk -- the Sun is dipping below the horizon, lighting the sky but no longer fully lighting the ground. As a result, there is enough light to see, but your eyes are naturally drawn to the sky, not to the horizon -- it's the reason you always remember how the sky looks at sunset, but rarely how it looks during the day.

It's because of this that infantry groups and platoons are able to move best at this time of the day. They can make virtually any movement with natural concealment -- it is incredibly difficult to catch movement during this time. Humans have to struggle to focus towards a dark ground, and when they do, they see shades, not shapes. Even computers that rely on older night vision equipment cannot process movements well due to the fact that lightwaves still flood the processing lens.

The Eventide is the time when hunters stalk their prey.

Yeah, I never understood why people liked blue dials in their cars. So damn distracting at night.

Actually Cider i was a little curious as to why you didnt return to Cenarius. Im guessing it was the Fuse/Eventide drama but im sure you could of gotten a spot in AL which has fully cleared the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinge View Post
    Actually Cider i was a little curious as to why you didnt return to Cenarius. Im guessing it was the Fuse/Eventide drama but im sure you could of gotten a spot in AL which has fully cleared the game.
    I've always had a ton of respect for Afterlife, if I were going to apply to any other guild it would have been them. It was the same way with Dawn Eternal way way back in the day.

I could have put in an app but I wasn't looking for a guild that had already cleared everything, tbh. I figured learning encounters was what I really enjoyed in the past, it's probably what I'll enjoy now.

ah cool. Just found out about your site the other day. its nice to look here for references =D

edit: damn my sig is screwed up

+ Reply to Thread