+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Imp. Revenge HIGHLY underrated

Personally I think imp revenge has it's place but I'm with some of the posters here and will say that I don't like it's unpredictability, I use it as an agro increasing tool not as a decrease damage done to me tool. I comes down to where you would rather have points and what you are currently doing.

Also, unless I'm wrong taunt only gives you "temporary" threat but once it's worn off you still need to have made up the difference in the meantime, sure if it's easy trash its most likely dead but nor necessarily
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Also, unless I'm wrong taunt only gives you "temporary" threat but once it's worn off you still need to have made up the difference in the meantime, sure if it's easy trash its most likely dead but nor necessarily
    It was changed when Naxx was launched to allow the mechanic for the Four Horsemen fight. Now it gives the same threat as the person who have the aggro. This only works on tauntable mobs and only if they are not targetting you.
    Sorry if its not well explained, but Im sure you can read it in proper english in one of Cider guides.

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.
    Panda Cub with a Gnome pet!

Improved Revenge is a waste of talent points for 25mans, spend the talent points in Improved Thundercalp or 2/5 Improved Demo Shout or Improved Heroic Strike. I find that it's a waste of a point because:

1) It's a proc, procs are not reliable to proc when you may really need it.
    2) About 75% of mobs in 25mans are Immune to stun, so even if you do proc it they are Immune anyways.
    3) 99% of Bosses are Immune to stun and the extra 30 threat on proc is negligable.

Now asside from the facts and looking more at theory crafting and the use of improved revenge in 'raids'. If your currently tanking a mob that's stunable there is most likely 3 rogues also attacking that mob as whell which are most likely going to stun it anyways. Most* mobs that Are stunable Are squishy and die really quickly. Yes I've seen the point argued of the guys that throw bombs in TK, thing is that there is only One pull with more than One and they die so quickly the stun would just be an overall waste. You have concusion blow which is on a 45 second cooldown and while tanking that's usualy enough time to use between pulls or two times durring pulls when you Want to stun a mob.

The only place where I see the talent being 'usefull' in raids is Hyjal if your a designated offtank that is Not going to be tanking the tougher unstunable mobs or the bosses. This is because with thoes 3 talent points I can spend them elsewhere to improve my surviveability or by increseing my overall threat potential.

Improved Revenge has its places and that's PvP, Heroics, and 5 mans. It's not ment for 25 man raid instances due to stun mechanics. Also due to the fact that if your not getting hit your not generating as much rage as if your not getting hit so that equates into less threat output on stuned mobs. Where if you lose agro in a 25 man that's most likely also going to equal in an unnessary party death because you couldn't hold proper aggro.

Quote Originally Posted by TheZ View Post
    1) It's a proc, procs are not reliable to proc when you may really need it.
    So, you're saying that Mongoose is garbage?

So, you're saying that Mongoose is garbage?
    I think he's just saying that if there was another weapon enchant that did the same expected dodge/crit/haste buff as mongoose but was applied at all times rather than randomly, he'd take that in a heartbeat.

At least, that's how I read it (and would tend to agree).

Just through my two cents into the pile as well...

Imp Rev to me is a great grinding and Prot PVP talent - But for raiding I would rather not have it.
    Like many have said before, its creates alot of great stories, but when you really break it down its either not being used (stun immune) or it can caused you to be rage starved, which is something I dislike greatly.

Let the rogues stun, and save your conc blow for when you really need that on demand stun.

Oh and also - Warstomp FTW

I was going to post with my opinion, but TheZ beat me to it. I completely agree with what he said. You can Conc blow on demand instead of relying on a proc. The goal of a raid tank is to be able to take as much damage as possible and still live, hence why some of the best tanks in the world champion the AC/Stam/SBV theorycraft.

my view is it is rage negative as nice as a stun is i would not get any rage without being hit or atleast that is my understanding.

Improved revenge is nice for farming, heroics and some raid trash.

But farming, heroics and raid trash aren't difficult.

If you are MTing raid bosses you should be specing for maximum efficiency for that role, and when mting raid bosses improved revenge does nothing to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Warriorc View Post
    I see your from the website TankingTips.com - A guide to tanking as a Warrior in World of Warcraft so i assume you have seen the engineers in "The EYe" that throw boms to the raid doing freakin loads of damage. Imp revenge is a saver here. It stuns randomly wich will increase the stuntime of that mob.
    It can help with those guys and it can hurt with those guys. I'm not sure how you handle them but we keep them sheeped and save them for last. Once the sheep is broken we have rogues/paladins keeping stuns up. Those stuns last a long time.

Lets say I get lucky with my revenge stun proc, I can yell out on vent "hey guys, that stun is mine!" But in reality all I did was overwrite one of their 6 second stuns with a shorter one.. and yes, he breaks out at the end of my short one.

I don't like improved revenge. I suppose if you're short on rogues or something and you really need the stuns it would come in handy, but I can't see wasting 3 talent points for this rare scenario. Those mobs are the only ones that are stunnable where a stun is really that helpful. You're using 3 points for those mobs and I think theres a total of 5 of them in the instance.

I only end game tank, we don't even touch Karazhan anymore.. everything is immune. Let's face is, the ability had its uses... battleguard sartura... Cthun... but those times are long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by veneretio View Post
    Remember how hard it is when a rogue opens on a mob with cheap shot. Imp Revenge gets to do this for you all the time. I'm going to throw something out there that a lot of people might disagree with...

Stuns are bad.

There I said it. Many of you have been thinking it, experienced it, probably hidden it away in the back of your mind afraid to say it. But wait you say...

Concussion Blow is Amazing!

When do you use this ability? When you NEED to stun something. So you've lost agg and taunt is down okay then you stun. But that's not what Imp Revenge does... it stuns when you don't want to and it's not reliable enough to stun when you NEED it to.

So why do people love Imp Revenge?

It's a great "storyteller" ability. It creates those situations where omg he's going to kill me and I randomly stunned him so I won! I'm not interested in a great story, I want a consistent ability. Imp Revenge is inconsistent.

Basically, 90% of the time you don't want or need a stun and when you do, you already have Concussion Blow. Imp Revenge is a grinding ability and that's about all imo.
    /nod

Stun = bad
    Melissa Theuriau is not a marmot.
    Armory

I think Imp Revenge is bad, because:

1) Bascially nothing that is stunnable can kill me, so I dont need to reduce the damage from those things.
    2) It is not reliable as an interrupt. I want to use concussion blow or shield bash to interrupt.
    3) It can randomly stun mobs I am fighting while I am trying to move them, which is annoying.
    4) It results in less rage generation, and thus can lead to losing aggro. Worst of all, the mobs who are usually stunnable are small mobs in multimob group pulls. These are the pulls where I am usually the most rage starved, and most suseptible to losing aggro on secondary mobs.

So basically, it doesnt do anything good, I dont care about preventing damage from the types of mobs it works on, and it can result in aggro loss.
    Imp Bloodrage, Imp Sunder, TM, and Imp Shield Wall are probably all better than it.

I cant see myself tanking with less than 12 in arms (imp tclap/imp heroic/anger management), so I dont have a lot of prot talents to throw away on stuff like imp revenge.

imo, Imp Revenge is a pvp talent. Its not a pve talent and shouldnt be taken for tanking.

Immune

I used to have Improved Revenge. I used to freak out when the big "Immune" scrolled up and try to figure out what I was doing that he was immune to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadye View Post
    I used to have Improved Revenge. I used to freak out when the big "Immune" scrolled up and try to figure out what I was doing that he was immune to.
    That is how I know not to bother with a concussion blow or war stomp (if something goes wrong)

+ Reply to Thread