+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Imp. Revenge HIGHLY underrated

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    19

    Imp. Revenge HIGHLY underrated

    Fellow warriors,

    This is my first time on this site. (well :P my first time i ever heard of it) and i see clearly that Improve revenge is highly underrated.

    I'm a tank from realm Vashj. Have tanked Kara, Gruul, The Eye (void only)specced 5/5/51.

    I have this spec for quite some time and i realy like the imp. revenge (instead of imp. sunder). Imp. revenge is a very good skill to reduce AoE damage to the raid. Saving the healers major mana.

    As far for the guides i read (all of them) i havent even seen 1 thingy about imp revenge. Even in the raid-situation where the tank gets enough rage from the mobs, people still choose imp. sunder above imp. revenge

    I hope people will try this and maybe benefit from this post.
    Any reactions/objections are welcome.

    Greetingz, Warriorc @ EU-Vashj

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Waynesboro, VA
    Posts
    141
    I only tank Kara, but I agree. Why would you not want a 2 rage possible stun? It seems like most of the trash in Kara is stunnable. No one will convince me to get rid of it until all the mobs I tank are unstunnable.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    12
    I had it until i finished doing 5-mans and heroics. While it does seem very useful, there are two problems with it. First off many things cannot be stunned, the mobs that are actually hard that you want to stun are immune. Second, you don't want the guy you are fighting to be stunned a bunch because then he can't hit and and therefor you cannot get rage so you can't get threat so you can't maintain aggro. Then when he comes out of being stunned he attacks one of your casters, and that is always bad.

    It does have more threat, but a negligible amount.

    ~Haam

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Waynesboro, VA
    Posts
    141
    I haven't had any problems with that yet. Just lucky perhaps.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Signu View Post
    I only tank Kara, but I agree. Why would you not want a 2 rage possible stun? It seems like most of the trash in Kara is stunnable. No one will convince me to get rid of it until all the mobs I tank are unstunnable.
    Remember how hard it is when a rogue opens on a mob with cheap shot. Imp Revenge gets to do this for you all the time. I'm going to throw something out there that a lot of people might disagree with...

    Stuns are bad.

    There I said it. Many of you have been thinking it, experienced it, probably hidden it away in the back of your mind afraid to say it. But wait you say...

    Concussion Blow is Amazing!

    When do you use this ability? When you NEED to stun something. So you've lost agg and taunt is down okay then you stun. But that's not what Imp Revenge does... it stuns when you don't want to and it's not reliable enough to stun when you NEED it to.

    So why do people love Imp Revenge?

    It's a great "storyteller" ability. It creates those situations where omg he's going to kill me and I randomly stunned him so I won! I'm not interested in a great story, I want a consistent ability. Imp Revenge is inconsistent.

    Basically, 90% of the time you don't want or need a stun and when you do, you already have Concussion Blow. Imp Revenge is a grinding ability and that's about all imo.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    19
    Haam.

    To be honest i think you are wrong. The mobs hits you hard enough to get rage and spam devastate or sunder armor for 1 or 2 times. This counts for Karazhan and most of the Heroic instances (and offcourse the higher raids/instances).

    For the caster part. IF the caster gets aggro, the tank has allways taunt to take the aggro again AND you have made enough rage with your auto attacks to land a Shield Slam in the target his face.

    Again. Im talking about raiding and heroics.

    @veneretio

    It's true that is not a skill that you must put 100% faith in. BUT the people that are like "The Storytellers" just need to l2p. I never, and i realy mean NEVER, have any problem with targets being stunned. I dont rely on the proc, but if it proc (for 3 sec) it saves healing the tank wich means more mana for the healers.
    I see your from the website TankingTips.com - A guide to tanking as a Warrior in World of Warcraft so i assume you have seen the engineers in "The EYe" that throw boms to the raid doing freakin loads of damage. Imp revenge is a saver here. It stuns randomly wich will increase the stuntime of that mob.

    Im not telling to put your faith in it 100%. im telling you to try it in raids were it can be usefull.

    Greetingz, Warriorc @ EU-Vashj
    Last edited by Warriorc; 08-15-2007 at 01:17 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    BROOKLYN, NYC
    Posts
    569
    i had 2/3 imp revenge in my spec ever since i first started tanking (BC) and have absolutly zero regrets for having it. i tanked everything from 5 mans to illidan, and there are mobs in every zone that revenge works on. the main reason i got it was because i just did not see where i could put the last 2 remaning talent points into. however, the more i had it the more useful it has become. you will notice it being extreamly useful in Hyjal.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    54
    for trash i can see its uses, however, i'd hate to open up a fight and have a stun go off right away and then sorta be a bit screwed. If you do alot of multimob tanking, sure, great to have. i may consider it for hyjal. however, if you are currently progressing and struggling on a new boss i'd say there are better places to spend your points.

    it is a nice extra place for points, but it would not be on my top 40 points spent.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    19
    Hello Atlantian,

    If that happens when it procs like....instant :P you are not screwed, since you have Bloodrage for times like those

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,380
    I don't know about ya'll but if I don't generate steady 700+ TPS in raids, My groups either hold back a ton on dps, or they are in ez-mode and pull agro quick.

    I love imp revenge for heroics and certain trash, dont get me wrong its cool. But for the 3 points its in, you can place it elsewhere.

    and blood rage gives me 1 trinketed Shield slam. that's 4k threat at best for me right now. dps can EASILY climb to 4k threat by the time he's unstunned and now I have no rage.

    READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by veneretio View Post
    Stuns are bad.


    Concussion Blow is Amazing!

    Amen.

    To me it's a matter of gearing and content. If you're ever struggling for rage them stuns are terrible. They only serve to give you less rage. In 25-man instances if a mob pops out of stun it'll often go to someone else and even that second before I can taunt can lead to cleaves, dead meele, etc...

    On trash (since pretty much every raid boss is unstunable) I'm also not interested in saving healer's mana. They can drink, they really shouldn't run OOM on any trash pull that goes well, and it's more about dps assisting right away so mobs die. This means I need tons of rage. Stunned mobs don't give me rage.


    With the original example imp sunder frees up rage to spend on higher threat abilities. Imp revenge at worst reduces my incoming rage and at best the mob is immune. (Hyjal trash seems to be a reasonable exception)

    It comes back to the idea that tanking is about being able to take more damage, not taking less damage.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    19
    I have tanked all the way with imp revenge, and i allways get 700+ threat while tanking. Even with my noobier gear i tanked with Imp Revenge and didnt realy had a problem with the threat.

    Im sure there is a better spec for ppl who are not that well geared or just cant get 700+ threat with Imp revenge in their talent build. But like im trying to say, the whole raid can benefit from it. So it shouldnt be just tossed aside like it's some sort of crap.

    @Groundchuck
    In raids you shouldt be struggling for rage, if you do, you have the best gear in game and dont have to raid anymore . And offcourse that if you do everything perfect noone needs to drink and eat, but you have to have allways room for complications. AND if a mob does aoe dmg to the whole raid with throwing stupid arcane bombs, trust me, there will be OOM healers.

    owhyeah btw, i thought tanking was about take more dmg AND survivebility (taking less dmg)? or am i wrong?
    Last edited by Warriorc; 08-15-2007 at 02:55 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Warriorc View Post
    I have tanked all the way with imp revenge, and i allways get 700+ threat while tanking. Even with my noobier gear i tanked with Imp Revenge and didnt realy had a problem with the threat.
    See what I like to do is replace that "didn't really" with "never". That's the goal. I guarantee that you've had instances where a dpser has pulled aggro off you. What I've seen is that the frequency of this, albeit it, rare occurrence increases with Imp Revenge.

    Imp Revenge is a strong skill for an off-tank. I won't deny that. It's a lot like dodge in many ways and as a result it couples very poorly with dodge. It creates situations where healers fall asleep and then can't respond quickly enough to spikes of damage.

    The issue I have with Imp Revenge is that regular Revenge is a fantastic early Threat Generation tool and Imp Revenge morphs it into a poor early Threat Generation tool since it can destroy your early threat development rather than greatly aid in it. You basically warp Revenge from something like Shield Slam into something like Demo Shout or Thunderclap. Sure these abilities have a time and a place, but I don't want to lose my Regular Revenge. I like it how it is just fine.

    And perhaps that's why some people like Imp Revenge is because they want another Mitigation/Avoidance ability, but personally I want more Threat generating abilities and Imp Revenge destroys one of the few I have.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    12
    When you are raiding all the things that CAN be stunned by imp. revenge are wimps and are taken down with ease. All the guys that are actually hard cannot be stunned, so it is useless. I never have "too much" rage because i can just spam heroic strike, and that get me to about 20 rage in about 10 seconds.

    Also, if you lose aggro and they are going for the casters/healers, you are pretty much screwed since most mobs in raids are immune to taunt. You have to spam shield slam to get your threat back up top.

    ~Haam

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Badajoz, Spain
    Posts
    755
    Almost every mob in heroics in vulnerable to stuns. Even the usually 2-truck-hitting-mob pull are inmune to all kind of CC but stuns.
    Imp Revenge is great for heroics, you should be able to get enough agro even with the mob stunned, if not, use taunt to gain threat.

    In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.
    Panda Cub with a Gnome pet!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    32

    Threat on stunned mobs?

    Why would a mob being stunned reduce the threat you're able to gain? All of our threat generation is active, so other than rage (which we can gain from bloodrage and other mobs hitting us), what would cause us to lose our position on the hate table?
    -Trū

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    178
    tru most of the time when i pull i pop bloodrage and then SS, about half the time the mobs first 1-2 hits get dodge/parry/blocked therefore revenge lights up right away and bam stunned mob almost no rage and after the next move i am left waiting on rage and quickly losing the tps race.

    I swear (loudly and often) at rogues who open with a stun. If I did it randomly myself i wouldnt be able to enjoy my selfrighteous fury nearly as much.
    Last edited by psychostomp; 08-16-2007 at 02:54 AM. Reason: mental retardation

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    32
    Oooh!
    Thank you! That makes it much more clear. ^.^
    I haven't hit high enough tiers on avoidance to see that kind of effect yet.
    -Trū

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Badajoz, Spain
    Posts
    755
    You can always use a Pyroblast opener then taunt. That's a lot of threat.

    In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.
    Panda Cub with a Gnome pet!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by psychostomp View Post
    tru most of the time when i pull i pop bloodrage and then SS, about half the time the mobs first 1-2 hits get dodge/parry/blocked therefore revenge lights up right away and bam stunned mob almost no rage and after the next move i am left waiting on rage and quickly losing the tps race.

    I swear (loudly and often) at rogues who open with a stun. If I did it randomly myself i wouldnt be able to enjoy my selfrighteous fury nearly as much.
    tr00, but the time he is stunned after your shieldslam, your bloodrage is still ticking AND you get rage from your auto attack(maybe crit). THis should be enough to apply at least 1 sunder or HS.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts