+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just a stupid question...

Just a stupid question...

I've made it clear that I'm horrible with theorycraft and numbers, so no flames! :P

But how much effective health would I be losing or gaining if I sacrificed about one point of dodge (not rating, just one point) for about 200-300 armor? I was trying to figure out what stats I would be gaining and losing with certain gear upgrades, and it hit me that I had no idea how to compare effective health. And can any of you can tell me how I would figure this out for future reference?

1 Dodge rating is .05% Dodge.
    300 Armor is .48% DR at 15000 Armor. More with less armor than that, less with more.

No, no, no. I meant one dodge point, not rating. One percent.

And I wasn't asking how much armor is dodge.

Oh.

I'm not sure that it's completely possible to predict how much 1% dodge will help, which is the major reason why Armor/Sta/BV is considered better than Avoidance.

What you can do however, is set up a simulator to work that out for you.

sim_1

Your current stats are:
    14724 health
    15737 armor
    = 34098 effective health on a 73

With 300 more armor:
    14724 health
    16037 armor
    = 34467 effective health on a 73

Dodge does not factor into the calculation of Effective health so all I can say is you lose 1% to dodge and you gain 369 Effective Health.

Klimpen is right, avoidance is very tricky to compare to Armour or Stamina, and as a result hard to incorporate into an effective health calculation. The reason being is that the value of avoidance is dependent on the amount of incoming damage you receive, and is also random -- when you get hit, it does nothing for you. Stamina/Armour are independent and preserve their relative values regardless of how much damage you are taking.

A good rule of thumb is this: As the damage you take increases, avoidance becomes less and less valuable in relation to Stamina/Armour. The most extreme case would be a situation where you are unable to survive a single hit from a mob. At that point avoidance loses almost all value because the moment you are hit, you will die.

While I can't give you a number, my advice is to just think it out intelligently when deciding between the two. For example, if you are tanking a fast-attacking mob that hits for light damage, wearing the item with dodge would be a smart choice. On the other hand, if you are tanking unfamiliar content, go with the additional Armour until you know how much you are being hit for and how often. Then you can make a more educated decision.

Like Concordia and Venny said. Balance it to your situation.

If you're dodge is already fairly high: Say 17%+ (i say high because 18% or more for me is already awesome and stam/ac/sbv is where its headed now) then sacrificing 1% for 369 EH is quite worth it. If you're dodge is say 15% then 1% is a bigger gain for you than just 369 EH.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

+ Reply to Thread