+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ugh, this guild.

Ugh, this guild.

Most of you know I've joined a new guild by now. Yes, well. All the tanks think armor and block value (and even stacking stamina!) are unimportant, and nearly worthless, stats. And the mentality has been passed throughout the guild. Anytime I get excited for block value on a piece of gear, I get told indirectly that I'm stupid. When I was explaining why I wanted an upgrade and I casually mentioned about a 300 increase in armor, I was laughed at and told armor was stupid. I tried directing the main tank here and he basically told me you all are full of shit, and that few of you have even tanked the content he has, so until you do, he has no reason to listen to you. This is also the guy who preaches to the guild that devastate is worthless, who sees only dodge as the only useful tanking stat, and does a whopping only 500-600, with jumps to 700-800, TPS.. and that's with the Unbreakable Will, with Battle Shout, and with shamans. I generate more threat than him, and my gear is pale in comparison to his gear and the gear he has access to.

It's so frustrating because, like I said, it's become a guild-wide mentality, and people are taking me less seriously, even when I back it up with facts!

I'm not even sure if this is supposed to be a rant or a pleading for advice sort of thread. I'm just a little frustrated right now.

That's what you call a class A tard cart there.

only 500-600, with jumps to 700-800, TPS.. and that's with the Unbreakable Will, with Battle Shout, and with shamans
    yeesh...

give examples of how the tanks progressing the fastest also stacked stam/armor? (Kungen comes to mind, but there are others I just don't know their names.)

One of the biggest problems with joining a new guild is that you have to earn the respect and the "right" to give your insight. As retarded as that sounds, its often the truth. Thats why I refuse to leave my guild (even though I'm not raiding right now because I'm deployed, lol), I have been in my current guild for over a year and have fought and argued my points over and over and it took forever for them to give me any space to prove them right. However, my guild is full of flaws and we barely get through Gruul's. Even though we are no where near where I would like to be content/raiding wise, I know that if I leave them and join a different guild I will go back to being the "newb" just because I'm new to that guild.

Lesson learned: When you first join a guild everybody else in your class assumes you're a moron who knows nothing, even if thats not really the case.

This is my reccomendation though. Don't argue with them. They are on their own little egotistical pedastal, so instead pick their brain. Always ask them "Why?" every time they say something or do something. Find out WHY they think the way they do and figure out how their minds have been poisoned. Either A) they came to their own idiotic conclusions with out researching anything at all, or B) somebody fed them a line of crap and they bought it, or C) blame the Taurens. Maybe after you figure out why they think that way you will have an easier time getting them to listen to your input.

Together we shall drive the newb demons from their child-like minds and let them see the light brother! Can I get an Amen?
    Armory! And when Armory is down... Warcrafter!

Bloody knuckles, carving the path to freedom.

I've never argued with them or stubbornly stood my point. I would just make a comment (not even about THEM, but about myself), and THEY would give me THEIR insight on it, and ask me why. And when I explained why, they laughed at me. I understand when joining a new guild to not really give my opinion unless asked, and I definitely didn't until I was asked.

Well, Maybe you should give them your opinion, Part of being a tank is knowing when you are right and others are wrong, and the thinking through the tanks in that guild is severly harming the guild as a whole.

You can point to several guides and websites like this one and prove to them why your way is a better way, and see if they can do the same, or you can just do what you do, as good as you do it and people will come around eventually, especially when you havean easier time of tanking then the MT does.

If they see itemization from a completely different perspective, that's one thing. To belittle a different and popular, well supported POV...well, that's something else. Sounds like its a more leaning towards cutting edge type guild where you actually run the risk of hearing a "WTF?!? Soild Stars?!? Learn2subtlelivingruby, noob" And that's sad.

Well, I don't know what to say other than take the opportunities to pick up gear other people don't want. When you do get called into tank, healers will notice its less stressful to keep a nice easy stream of healing on you instead of blowing all their mana on heals they didn't cancel in time because the MT dodge/dodge/dodge/parry/miss/OMGWTF was that??!?

You CAN get by on avoidance tanking. I've done it. I am a convert and I can tell you my life is much simpler now. My healers know the difference.

I speak from experience and perhaps I'll go into it in another post one day, but I gquit, transferred servers and got hit with that sudden "WTF did I just do" feeling. For completely different reasons, mind you, but yeah...Point is, be wary of all the things they tell you and their flowery recruitment posts and what not.

Keep in mind, people don't like to be proven wrong and within the context of an MMO like Wow, finding people that are willing to admit "hrm...you know, you might be right...maybe I should rethink my potsition" are few and far between. I doubt no amount of theorycraft will sway them. You have to do it "on the field" so to speak.

tis sad. I'm in the same boat =T

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Criss it sounds like you only need that one single opportunity to present itself where you show up the person who is the most vocal.

I'd bide my time, wait for that opportunity, and then go balls out and impress the hell out of everyone - Thereby showing that there is validity to your opinions and cementing it in other peoples minds that you're not only capable and adequate for the job, but vastly superior.

I wouldn't say superior. I have a lot to learn, and there are a few things I need to work on (I'm not mobile as much as I think I should be).

Besides, it's funny.. the MT isn't.. bad (besides his TPS), but there are a lot of things he just doesn't understand about tanking.

I don't want to be MT. Not for this sort of content (we're in BT and Hyjal). My dream tanking role would be primary OT, where I might MT easier content or help main tank on bosses that need two tanks.

The hard truth is you are new to the guild and you are a girl. It's sad that the latter matters, but it does. I've encountered as I'm sure you have countless people who knowingly or unknowingly value your opinion less as a result.

Tread quietly and patiently earn their respect. If you cannot, well a new server is only a couple months away. Best of luck, my thoughts go with you.

Hm, been there -- it's quite frustrating.

What I'd suggest, is just biding your time (as a few have already said) and just keep doing what you do and then when your healers start saying stuff like "man, Criss is a lot easier to heal" after those odd nights where your MT is gone and you're MTing farm content or on progress nights -- maybe your MT will get the hint.

If not, well, I wouldn't know what to do, I'd just avoid long-standing confrontations (I would know from personal experience... they never end well) and just keep doing what you do.

It has happened to me as well. When I said that [item]The Unbreakable Will[/item] was better than [item]The Brutalizer[/item] specially for humans. It was funny because our human tank told me he wanted the axe for the +skill (err... you have +skill in swords so the sword gives u more skill than the axe already) and our MT told me that he will keep KD because of the +hit.
    The only thing you can do is to keep silent and continue gearing as you know is better for you. Don't be afraid, time will prove you were right and others not. A lot of ppl in my guild already told me that Im easier to heal than our MT. I have 17 dodge and 17 parry, but 35 block and aroun 800 SBV. Our MT has around 45% of dodge+parry and 1k more hp than me, but he usually takes a lot of spiky damage and his SBV is around half of what I have. I probably won't be able to tank Illidan in this gear (he is DWer) but Im pretty sure I will perform better than him in any other fight.

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.
    Panda Cub with a Gnome pet!

+ Reply to Thread