+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Two hit rating questions

Two hit rating questions

Firstly, hope this is the right place to post this

Question One:

I've seen a lot of conflicting ideas/theories about hit rating for tanks. Atm I'm sitting at 61 (+3.87% against a level 70), thanks mainly to still wearing Warbringer chest, I haven't really noticed too much missing (MTing kara atm) but am wondering if I should be aiming for more +hit or alternatively if I get really lucky in Kara I can foresee me losing the +hit from warbringer and from windtraders Maybe I'm worrying about nothing, but advice on min/max hit ratings would be good.

Question Two:

I generally grind duelwielding (AP about 1.5k and +hit just over 100 - if my memory's correct). Without respeccing for farming what sort of +hit should I be aiming for. I seem to find it easier to get gear with str/AP on it and just wondering if I should do some resocketing
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

to 1) When you gear gets better in Karazhan, you'll often "downgrade" your gear, losing some HP Health and getting very near 490 Defense. If you have the HP/Armor du survive the battle, yes aggro gear will help you a great deal.
    But for now, aim more for HP/Armor and Avoidance (which is King with the Prince).

to 2) I'm not 100% sure, but i guess it's the same for DW. About 200 Hit Rating. 25% Crit Chance and 1500 AP is very good for the start. You can also try just 136 hitrating (about 5% hit) then you specials like devastate wont miss anymore, but your rage generation could suck then because of the missing white hits.

My full tanking set hits me around 75 hit rating now. (Gruul shield, Fathom-Lord Neck, a couple gems)

I noticed a pretty big difference. As far as stacking +hit goes I wouldn't worry about it until your gear is where it needs to be in terms of stam/armor first.

It also depends on your healers. If your healers rock you can stack more threat. If you're healers are still learning a bit you should stack for more survivability.

I have not had a single problem with having too little Effective Health (granted, I've only been through Kara). I'm likely going to resocket my Bold with +Hit, as well as Wrynn Dynasty for the time being, until I can afford a little more in the way of SSOE's.

^ Cheap ass!

j/k

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Getting to your correct Effective Health is more important, and then after that and maintaining 490 defense, you can go more into threat gear. +hit/+crit/SBV are all good threat modifiers, with +hit and SBV as the 2 best. I sit around 2-3% +hit because of my Bulwark of Kings, and its all I've ever needed (I rarely miss, i mostly get dodged/parried and +hit doesn't help with those).

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Last time I tanked Mag, I noticed that Mag could parry a string of my attacks, and if I was unlucky, I could get killed with 2x 5k melee hit with a 8k cleave between. I have around 20500HP, 18500armor buffed, I believe that's more than enough to tank Mag.

Anything else I can do to prevent the parry from happening? I know weapon skill could help, but we are not on Lurker yet. If hit rating could help, how many hit rating will it take to decrease the chance for a 73's boss to parry you?
    Last edited by KiwiSoda; 08-13-2007 at 07:30 PM.

Hit Rating does nothing to reduce your opponent's chance to Parry your attacks.
    Armstrong
    <Elysium>
    Burning Legion US

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I have not had a single problem with having too little Effective Health (granted, I've only been through Kara). I'm likely going to resocket my Bold with +Hit, as well as Wrynn Dynasty for the time being, until I can afford a little more in the way of SSOE's.
    I've noticed the same thing, and have been contemplating how much Stamina I can afford to lose in exchange for some +Hit.

At the very least, socketing [item]Gyro-Balanced Khorium Destroyer[/item] with a [item]Rigid Dawnstone[/item] instead of a Solid Star seems like a good idea.

From my understanding when you go sword and board or 2H you have approximately 5&#37; chance to miss. While DWing though you have 25% chance to miss. Part of whey DW Fury is so gear dependant. In theory though if you have enough +hit rating to get +5% hit then you should never miss.
    Armory! And when Armory is down... Warcrafter!

Bloody knuckles, carving the path to freedom.

My observed miss rate on VR is closer to 8&#37;.

Been tempted to resocket my Khorium Destroyer with a rigid dawnstone. Getting REALLY annoyed with Gruul. No frick'n shields. Maybe the neck will drop soon.

I'd simply like to increase my average TPS. While having more hit would be really nice on Hydro transitions, I find he parries/dodges far more often then he's missed. Had him parry/dodge both HS and SS on a transition more then once.

Was sitting in OG all yesterday evening(seeing we had cleared Kara for the first time ) thinking about if I should go the Rigid Dawnstone or not. In the end I went for it. All that evening I got told I was a nab cause I wasnt using Solid Star of Elune or the def and stam one. Ah well will see how it goes. Got lots of people in my group that is jewelcrafters so they give me new gems if I need :P
    Noraxe
    Magtheridon EU

Quote Originally Posted by Alchamire View Post
    From my understanding when you go sword and board or 2H you have approximately 5% chance to miss.
    As far as I know the miss rate with 1h is 8,6%.

Assuming you attack a mob, then:

If the difference between your weapon skill and mob's defence is 11 and above, then you have an increased 0.2% miss chance for each point of difference.

If the difference between your weapon skill and mob's defence is 1-10, then you have an increased 0.1% miss chance for each point of difference.

Simply put:

You have 350 weapon skill and you attack a boss like Void Reaver for example. Void Reaver's defence is 365 so your miss chance against VR is 8% (5% the base miss chance and 0.2*15 which is the difference) if you are 2hander or 27% (5% base miss, 19% for dw penalty and 0.2*15=3% from the difference) if you are dual wielder.

Rogue/Warrior Weapon Skill Adjustment Discussion @ Elitistjerks.com

A very interesting discussion if you have time to wade through all of the posts.

From the thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Olgas
    There is a good body of evidence to support the conclusion that the base miss rate against different level mobs is as follows:

v. Level 70: 5.0% (24.0%)
    v. Level 71: 5.5% (24.5%)
    v. Level 72: 6.0% (25.0%)
    and
    v. Level 73: ~9.0% (~28%)

These have been controlled tests, that have, so far, validated these numbers under different conditions and for different classes.

As for the Level 73 number, we haven't definitively established the 9% and 28% figures as the correct numbers, but we have multiple points of evidence that it is higher than 8.6%/27.6%. And, indeed, we have evidence of Rogues still missing with +hit gear in the 27.8% ranges. So, we think the number is close to 9%/28%, and we are continuing testing on this to nail down the exact number.

+ Reply to Thread