+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Executioner vs. Mongoose: a preliminary view from the tanks' perspective

Seems good for PvP, clothies have super low armor values, maximizing the benefits

For 300+ resilience arena matches, a warrior with mace spec already suffers from a low crit rate. I'd seriously consider getting replacing mongoose for executioner in that case, it is far more effective to increase DPS against cloth, and probably leather as well

I've done some duels with the enchant, and it barely procs, but when it procs... i can get some serious burst. But trading it for Savagery seems like a waste. For PvE purposes works awesome on the MH

Here are boss armor values if this wasn't posted already. didn't read complete thread.

Serpentshrine Cavern:
    Hydross the Unstable: 7700
    The Lurker Below: 7700
    Leotheras the Blind: 7700
    Fathom-Lord Karathress 6200
    Morogrim Tidewalker: 7700
    Lady Vashj: 6200

Tempest Keep:
    Void Reaver: 8800
    High Astromancer Solarian: 6200
    Al'ar: 7700
    Kael'thas Sunstrider: 6200

Hyjal Summit:
    Rage Winterchill: 6200
    Anetheron: 6200
    Kaz'rogal: 6200
    Azgalor: 6200
    Archimonde: 6200

Black Temple:
    High Warlord Naj'entus: 7700
    Supremus: 7700
    Shade of Akama: 7700
    Teron Gorefiend: 6200
    Gurtogg Bloodboil: 7700
    Reliquary of Souls:
    - Essence of Suffering: 0
    - Essence of Desire: 7700
    - Essence of Anger: 7700
    Mother Shahraz: 6200
    Illidari Council:
    - Gathios the Shatterer: 6200

so for warriors this is a definite replacement for mongoose?

Quote Originally Posted by brain9h View Post
    Seems good for PvP, clothies have super low armor values, maximizing the benefits

For 300+ resilience arena matches, a warrior with mace spec already suffers from a low crit rate. I'd seriously consider getting replacing mongoose for executioner in that case, it is far more effective to increase DPS against cloth, and probably leather as well
    Good for clothies poor if your bursting down a pally/shaman/druid/warrior there is definately a benefit when attacking clothies though. For this reason i was actually thinking 2 weapons and weapon swapping, one with savagery and one with executioner. Overall i think if i had to pick one pvp enchant i would stick with savagery personaly, i've had mongoose on my stormherald and it failed to impress me. If i really need to i can replicate the proc with 2 sunders, but i cant pull AP out of the air.

question as to pve dps would this outperform savagery if 33/28?

Quote Originally Posted by Herem View Post
    Here are boss armor values if this wasn't posted already. didn't read complete thread.

Serpentshrine Cavern:
    Hydross the Unstable: 7700
    The Lurker Below: 7700
    Leotheras the Blind: 7700
    Fathom-Lord Karathress 6200
    Morogrim Tidewalker: 7700
    Lady Vashj: 6200

Tempest Keep:
    Void Reaver: 8800
    High Astromancer Solarian: 6200
    Al'ar: 7700
    Kael'thas Sunstrider: 6200

Hyjal Summit:
    Rage Winterchill: 6200
    Anetheron: 6200
    Kaz'rogal: 6200
    Azgalor: 6200
    Archimonde: 6200

Black Temple:
    High Warlord Naj'entus: 7700
    Supremus: 7700
    Shade of Akama: 7700
    Teron Gorefiend: 6200
    Gurtogg Bloodboil: 7700
    Reliquary of Souls:
    - Essence of Suffering: 0
    - Essence of Desire: 7700
    - Essence of Anger: 7700
    Mother Shahraz: 6200
    Illidari Council:
    - Gathios the Shatterer: 6200
    Where do these numbers come from? Could you please post a source?

Sorry about that meant to do that, but I do not have the link. I believe they are from the EJ forums somewhere. Had them in spread sheet form a while ago. I'm pretty sure they are correct.

Wait... It doesn't stack? That would be TERRIBLY disappointing.

Bumping an old topic here. This was linked on the WoW-US forums. Here's a response to the thread I gave. Let's keep the Mongoose/Executioner discussion in a single thread.

Keep in mind that Executioner for a tanking weapon is in an environment where you've already stacked five Sunder Armors and often a Curse of Recklessness. Also keep in mind that part of the Mongoose benefit is in the form of Haste, which has zero effect on your Shield Slam (or other abilities).

Procs and crits are relatively reliable in terms of occurrence. What is a lot less likely to give you a benefit is a crit derived from a proc -- in this case, a Critical Strike occurring as a result of the 4% Crit during a Mongoose proc. Yes, you'll see the benefit over time, but it's far less likely you'll see the (lesser) benefit provided by a chance-on-a-chance occurrence when it actually matters in the early stages of a fight.

As it stands it's a choice. If you are focused on Damage Reduction as a general policy with your weapons you want to go with Mongoose. If you want Threat, you go with Executioner. They aren't close to each other in effectiveness, and arguing Mongoose is nearly as effective as Executioner for Threat is a dead argument.

For me, nothing in this game is going to kill me. That's true of most tanks who are in Black Temple gear. It's at a point where it really doesn't matter what I socket or what I do. So long as I don't drop the quality of my gear, there's nothing in this game that can kill me. So Threat makes more sense to me. And even that doesn't matter particularly much with the recent Expertise change. I'll change over once the enchant is available and doesn't cost me too much.

Different gear for different situations. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    Different gear for different situations. ;-)
    Think this is the key point of the entire thread, I'll throw it on something and use it as needed.

Anyone had a chance to test this much? I just got the mallet off of Lurker and was trying to decide which enchant to get.

Im putting moongose on it, as it will be my primary tanking weapon. I still love the kings defender but I gotta move on.

I have two tanking weapons that I use, King's Defender, and the Cleaver from Zul'Aman, I have Mongoose on my KD and Execution on my Cleaver, I greatly prefer tanking with the KD with Mongoose over the Cleaver because of the avoidance Mongoose gives me. This is just my opinion

Mitigation = 10000 / (10000 + (467.5 * 73 + 22167.5)) = 45.537%
    I know that this is the formula used to determine mitigation when an NPC is attacking a player. Are we sure that this formula still applies in the opposite direction?

+ Reply to Thread