+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: 2.4 Berg's Tank Gear Rankings (03/19/2008)

Tank points doesn't measure agro at all. TP is just to help you evaluate the survivability of a piece, that is, it's stam, armor, and avoidance. It's also situational, in that a tank with 11k HP will get a lot more points from HP and armor than a better geared tank will (avoidance is supposed to be more important at the highest levels of content, and Sunwell seems to have born that out to some degree). That's why Berg posts his reference outfit he uses to generate these rankings (T4/Kara gear).

For your specific question, you could probably use the Sun Eater all the way through Sunwell as a mitigation weapon, but it's TPS is so low your raid wouldn't be able to do many encounters since DPS would be capped by your gimped threat level.

So it seems I should just follow the short descriptions at the top of each category rather than look at TP? Because the ratings based on TP seem misleading. Again, using weapons as an example: you start with #2 (The Sun Eater), then get #6 (King's Defender), then get #9 (Mallet of the Tides), then get either #1 (The Unbreakable Will) or #5 (The Brutalizer). I appreciate all the work the OP has put into this, but it's very confusing even after reading all the linked articles.

Not exactly. To let Berg's words speak for himslf (from the intro section):

"As I mention above, Tankpoints measures physical reduction/survivability ONLY. Don't treat this as the ultimate guide to tank gearing, just a quantitative analysis of one aspect of tanking. (Half the people that respond to this thread don't read that line :-) )"

You should absolutely pay attention to tank points, as survival is one of the most important parts of your job (dead tanks generate no agro). But you should realize that it is only one part of your job. All good tanks have multiple sets of gear; when I clear trash in Gruuls I have a lot of agro gear on and just barely stay uncritable (for example, I wear the S2 shoulders with +hit ems in them). On High King Mulgore you get such a head start that the Sun Eater is the best weapon you can use (agro isn't a problem) until you get to T6. On Gruul himself you need a lot of avoidance, armor, and HP, but you don't want to gimp your raid DPS, so a King's Defender or Mallet of the Tides is ideal.

TP does exactly what it claims to do, and this is an invaluble resource to how good a piece of gear is for survivability. It isn't always easy to know off hand how 18 dodge compares to and extra 35 HP and 100 armor, and TP tells you. But for each encounter you need to evaluate the roll of survivability vs agro, and change what you are wearing to suit.

Thanks for your replies

So is there a guide anywhere that suggests what stats you should be aiming for with each encounter (or perhaps even which pieces)?

Also, the previous question I had, should I do blacksmithing, as I've been told that I can only get some of the resistance items with BSing.

You don't NEED blacksmithing, as the Frost and Nature resist gear are all BOE and can be thus purchased. Just find out who can make them and either collect the mats yourself or just get it made for you.

I only use my nature resist set on only two occasions, hydross (who we never do anymore) and the 1st pull after killing Najentus (full of mini nature elementals, I have to lug my resist set for 1 freaking pull)

As for the fire resist set, I got it and sat on it for months before I used it to tank leotheras' demon form as a goof.

Berg, awesome guide, great analysis and discussion, especially at each tier of raiding - the latter is my favorite part, as it helps me so much with my alt tank, understanding what makes the most sense each step of my tanking career and why.

Been OT'ing Kara the last few weeks and picking up T4 gear, and one of the few blues I have left to upgrade is my helm slot.

I was looking over the 5 helm enchants you have and wanted to ask where you'd rank Glyph of the Gladiator - Item - World of Warcraft among them.

From a survivability perspective, it's got a ton of stamina (+18 stam), despite the resilience being largely wasted. Still, it can make a good situational choice, right?

I appreciate your replies, guys. I may be asking more questions once I level my guy out and raid with him

Quote Originally Posted by Cloak View Post
    Still, it can make a good situational choice, right?
    Unless you're STARVING for stam, I'd say no.

There's only one boss (that I've seen) that needs you to be at max stam (Kael and his magical pyroblasts), everything else can be done with mix of mitigation and aggro gear.

If you need stam, get the presence of might from ZG, if not just get the COT one.

When will this be updated again?
    Life is good!

uhh, I haven't heard from Berg in a while, but what do you need to update it with? 2.4 was the last patch that we saw any significant gear changes, aside from Season 4.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I'm in semi-retirement from the game and haven't had an active wow account for a few months. My family requires the raid timeslot.

If one of the other veterans wants to take over this thread, I'm ready to pass the torch.

Quite the daunting task, let me know if anyone PMs you that they wanna take it over.

Why update...

There are several reasons for an update... the Sunwell gear information was not widely known at the time of the last update... items get nerfed from one patch to the next... who knows what has been nerfed or not... tankingtips.com indicated that at least one item has dropped off of his top 10 pre-Kara list... and lastly, its all OBE anyways unless someone is willing to takeover Berg's work... is he willing to pass his knowledge on before total retirement or just drop this unbelievably complex and beautiful set of analysis on someone's doorstep... I could pick it up but then, I'm no Ciderhelm or Veneretio and have yet to down Illidan... not hardly good credentials.. if u get my gist...
    Life is good!

but is not that much to be updated right? last time I read it there was some 2.4 references there, I don't think is much work to do.

As far as I know, no changes to the items were made from 2.4 release to now. If there are any please inform me and I'll try to make whatever changes I can to bergs list in the meantime.

couple questions i hope you can answer...the swiftsteel blugeon is listed right below the sword off kalecgos but it does not have a tp listed? any idea what it is, i just picked this weapon up last nite for shits and was wandering if its worth enchanting.

also you have the kalecgos sword listed lower then the ax off supremus. im tryin to figure out if this is a typo or what? obviously the faster, higher dps, more expertise weapon is better.

Tankpoints doesn't take into account haste or expertise into its equations, the reason why the Brutalizer would be higher itemized by tank points is the fact that it has +defense rating.

right i understand that, but since there is a threat and mitigation section for weapons i figured its gota be figured in..i guess not ha

The Borderland Fortress Grips drop off Felmyst, not the trash mobs.

The only item i can see that needed updating was the Helm Battleworn Tuskguard. It was changed from 40 block rating to 40 defense and is still ranked as per pre change. It should be ranked above the T-5 helm now. Although it barely beats the T-5 it's quite a bit above the T-6 helm. So it's shifted positions by quite a bit. I know there's a couple other items as well. But i can't recall what they were.

+ Reply to Thread