+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: 2.4 Berg's Tank Gear Rankings (03/19/2008)

Couple Questions

First off, first time poster, long time fan. Kudos to Berg and all you other great tanks/posters who keep this thread updated.

I have a couple quick questions however as due to "delay" in updates or simply my own misconceptions have led me to rethink a couple rankings.

I know some gear is situationally better than other peieces that might have more tankpoints, so let me say - I am the MT for a guild that has just stepped into BT and Hyjal. In two weeks we have 3 bosses down in each, and are going to agressively persue doing more. Threat hasn't been an issue for me yet and I am focusing primarily on pure survivability for the most part.

My questions are:

Battleworn Tuskguard vs. T6 Helm?
    Should I even roll on T6 helm, or can I let someone else have this, at least at first? T6 has more armor, but Tuskguard has more stamina, add to that, the fact T6 has shield block rating, which is at best, a poor warrior stat, it seems (to me) Tuskguard clearly is superior to the T6 helm. Am I like smoking crack here guys, and if I am - please tell me how dumb I am.
    [item]Battleworn Tuskguard[/item]
    [item]Onslaught Greathelm[/item]

Gauntlets of Enforcement vs. T6 Gloves
    The T6 fairly obviously has greater avoidance with the dodge, but again, wastes ilvl on shield block rating. I'll take the expertise 8 days a week over the SBR. Marginal armor superiority on the T6 generally equalled or outmatched by greater stam on the Enforcement. Is this a classic, threat vs. avoidance set decision and I want both - or are the Gauntelets of Enforement fairly clearly superior to the T6?
    [item]Gauntlets of Enforcement[/item]
    [item]Onslaught Handguards[/item]

I want to reitterate I generally know what I'm talking about mostly from reading posts by you guys and I love each and every one of you My armory:The World of Warcraft Armory Please note for EH I swap into Slikks' and Gyro-Balanced for the armor and stam sacrificing the hit I like to have on bosses.
    Last edited by hateseed; 04-29-2008 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Berginyon View Post
    GEMSand I assume this will stack with Shield Mastery multicatively for a total 43% bonus.
    This should probably read "It will stack additively with Shield Mastery for a total of 40% bonus."

I'm NOT trying to pick apart an absolutely incredible gear list but that one line is a bit misleading.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by hateseed View Post
    Battleworn Tuskguard vs. T6 Helm?
    Should I even roll on T6 helm, or can I let someone else have this, at least at first? T6 has more armor, but Tuskguard has more stamina, add to that, the fact T6 has shield block rating, which is at best, a poor warrior stat, it seems (to me) Tuskguard clearly is superior to the T6 helm. Am I like smoking crack here guys, and if I am - please tell me how dumb I am.
    [item]Battleworn Tuskguard[/item]
    [item]Onslaught Greathelm[/item]
    I am in agreement with you that Battlesworn Tuskguard is better, now apparent since 2.4. The arguments for picking up the T6 helm are for the set bonus and the meta gem. However, you can safely pass on it a few times if you want.

Gauntlets of Enforcement vs. T6 Gloves
    The T6 fairly obviously has greater avoidance with the dodge, but again, wastes ilvl on shield block rating. I'll take the expertise 8 days a week over the SBR. Marginal armor superiority on the T6 generally equalled or outmatched by greater stam on the Enforcement. Is this a classic, threat vs. avoidance set decision and I want both - or are the Gauntelets of Enforement fairly clearly superior to the T6?
    [item]Gauntlets of Enforcement[/item]
    [item]Onslaught Handguards[/item]
    Use the Onslaught Handguards for avoidance. Stick a 10 dodge gem in it and a EH enchant and you're good to go. Use the Gauntlets for threat sensitive fights and trash.

Ok so we all agree that the t6 helm is damn weak. I currently have the t5, which i use for boss fights and the t4 which i use for threat on trash. I originally was going to just let t6 go because the end goal would be to get the t6 four piece bonus using other pieces and use the helm off illidan, but looking at the 4 piece bonus it is might strong and i would be unable to accomplish it with out the helm prior to illidan. So what you guys think? pick it up for the 4 piece bonus once applicable?

Greeting to all, I would like to know if in terms of EH/tanking the new 2.4 Glyph of the Gladiator could be better than the Glyph of the Defender. Thank you very much.

Sorry about the lack of updates, there are just a couple that need to go in. I haven't been able to raid since my daughter was born 3 months ago. Add on top of that a 21 month old son, and I don't get any free time :-)

Jotun: In the 2.3 commentary I put "I used a non-devastate dagger build through most of Kara, but the benefits and rage efficency of devastate now make that build hard to justify." I need to update the text I have in the weapons sections since it would be misleading. Since the devastate buffs, a devastate build will out-aggro any dagger/impale even for entry level, and devastate is too situationally useful for tanking (low rage, DPS dual wield in fury gear) to be without it.

T6 helm is really weak. I thought it was an itemization error and reported it to Blizzard but I didn't get a response. Based on the ilvl calculations, it just doesn't add up unless having a ridiculous amount of block rating costs alot more.

quick question: with 15k+ health whats the best enchant now on chest? still 150 health or 15 defense?

Boots of Elusion

Just wondering why you have the Boots of Elusion higher on the list than the Jungle Stompers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribstenin View Post
    Just wondering why you have the Boots of Elusion higher on the list than the Jungle Stompers.

IIRC because of the insane amount of dodge on them.

With the boots of elusion, you have better odds to completely AVOID taking damage.

But with the Stompers, you'll get hit more, but will absorb more damage.

when i was looking to see how the ZA helm stacked up i was surprised to see it so low on the list...when i went looking for a reason why....i saw that your comment said it had no def on it....so my question is....is the helm really that low on the list?...or has it just not been updated since the 40 def was added to it in 2.4?

Quote Originally Posted by Rampagingorc View Post
    or has it just not been updated since the 40 def was added to it in 2.4?
    This

I'm sure he'll update it soon enough

Woot first post on here. I have been following along with this thread for some time and just had a real quick question.

I have been stacking EH for quite some time. I have 17k unbuffed hp. Another tank in my guild has around 16k but has quite a bit more avoidence then I do. We have both tanked the same mobs but the healers are complaining its harder for them to heal me. I know I get hit more often then he does but I dont get hit for as much as he does when he does get hit. Do you have any suggestions as to what I could do without totally regemming all my gear for avoidence?

Here is a link to our armorys incase that would help.
    The World of Warcraft Armory
    The World of Warcraft Armory

know I get hit more often then he does but I dont get hit for as much as he does when he does get hit.
    Unless you have a lot more armour than him then he'll be hit the same.

You might not be keeping up shield block, thunderclap, demo shout as well as him?

don't "regem" for avoidance, get pieces of gear with avoidance strongpoints and swap them in and out for various fights. Some obvious ones are t4 gloves, moroes trinket, t4 shoulders, maiden's necklace, the sun eater.

Swap in variations of the above into your standard tanking set on fights where you might be taking too much damage for your EH to put you through, say prince or tidewalker.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

type

13. [Red Belt of Battle]</span> 21STA+ +0.9%hit TP:5511(4213 base)
    The World of Warcraft Armory (crafted - BOP Blacksmith SSC)
    * 2 gems

that item is BOE not BOP and nice quide been reading it also i had a small question what does the red colored items on your guide mean they have a special ranking or something?

The gear with descriptions in red are those added in 2.4
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

17. [Mark V's Throwing Star]/[Alley's Recurve] 10STA TP:1004
    The World of Warcraft Armory (Nagrand quest)

is a netherstorm quest not nagrand

this has been replaced with the pvp faction reputation rewards.

26. [High Warlord's Plate Chestpiece]</span> 46STA+ TP:8115(6168 base)
    The World of Warcraft Armory (24300 Honor, 30 AB Marks)
    * set bonuses, 3 gem slots

Quote Originally Posted by Rampagingorc View Post
    when i was looking to see how the ZA helm stacked up i was surprised to see it so low on the list...when i went looking for a reason why....i saw that your comment said it had no def on it....so my question is....is the helm really that low on the list?...or has it just not been updated since the 40 def was added to it in 2.4?
    i vendored my za helm right before they fixed it, now i hav t6 so im not to concerned and will soon hav illidan's helm...anyways looking at the stats now i would take za helm over everything up to t6. i will keep using t6 helm for set bonus but i beleive za is better

Here's what I don't understand, and am hoping someone could answer for me: for example, The Sun Eater is #2 on the list of mitigation weapons, yet the description above it says you won't have much use for it if you get/once you get King's Defender, which is #6 (albeit, the instructions say within 300 TP it's about the same). Also, the #1 weapon is in Hyjal; I thought in general that T6/Sunwell Plateau is better than everything before it. Is this happening because Tank Points weighs mitigation higher than aggro, or for some other reason?

Also, given that so many of the fairly high-TP items come from Heroics/badge gear/entry level raids, how helpful is it to have Blacksmithing and/or Engineering? I've been told that you can only get good resistance gear by doing Armorsmithing, is that the case?

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread