+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.4 Berg's Tank Gear Rankings (03/19/2008)

First off, let me say thank you very much for building this list Berg, it's been an amazing help to me. Couple things I noticed that I wanted to point out:

1. When socketed with a solid star, Bracers of the Ancient Phalanx have 8 defense, 69 armor, and 22 expertise over Vambraces of Courage, which provide only 33 block value in comparison. Is the block value really that much greater? May be a miscalc there.

2. Along the same lines the Brooch of Deftness seems far far below what it should be on the neck pieces. This item also has expertise.

Could it be that tank points does not account for expertise at this time? Should this be addressed since expertise is coming out as one of the premier stats to consider for high end tank gearing?

Thanks and keep up the great work, <3 the guide!

Vald

Expertise is not really a damage reduction skill even though it reduces parries. Tankpoints has no concept of time so you'll still take the same amount of damage, just with fewer parries it would take longer.

Aggro is not weighted in on tankpoints because balancing between survivability and aggro is completely situational. The 2 expertise items are worth wearing in all situations even through BT except a fight where aggro doesn't matter, but even then you aren't sacrificing much by wearing them.

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation.

8. [Felsteel Leggings] 39STA+ TP:10256(8309 base)
    The World of Warcraft Armory (crafted)
    * 3 gem slots, set bonus for blacksmith

9. [Timewarden's Leggings] 57STA+ TP:10054(8107 base)
    The World of Warcraft Armory (Keepers of Time Revered)
    * 3 gem slots

I'm almost positive this order was switched recently. Berg, can you please explain how this changed? I could have sworn that Felsteel were something to be bought at 70 until the Timewarden's could be obtained and I don't remember Felsteel out-tankpointing the Timewardens.

Berg! Unbelievable work. This has been invaluable.

You guys might know this, but there's something weird going on with the formating on this list atm (background issue). Thought i'd just try to point it out.
    The Raid - A feature length documentary following the lives of a group of virtual raiders.

Damn I guess there's no real easy way to get Tankpoints to look at spell damage items (Crystalforged Sword, Arena caster maces, Gruul Sword, ZA Eagle boss mace, etc.), since this is a predominantly warrior chat (maybe just a side list on the thread? ).

I keeed I keeed. You do enough work just updating this list as it is. AWESOME guide btw. I'm gearing my pally tank to the T with this list. Love that you have some prot pally stuff in there too. Keep up the super awesome job!

Wow this is great, I love it thank you so much, I was working on putting on of these together you saved me tons of time. You win good sir.

Old Harry: It is because I changed the baseline to a full Kara/T4 gear set, see http://www.theoryspot.com/forums/gea...html#post46340

Lilie: I can't see anything wrong, but Cider likes to reformat every week :-)

Zexro: Every so often I get the desire to add some kind of threat valuation to tankpoints, but then real life stuff squashes that. P.S. I wear the pally belt from SSC, love the EH and shield block over Moroe's belt.

Is there a way for anybody to recalculate the tankpoints rating you use here if we don't own the same set of baseline gear you used?

The reason being is that I maintain my own gear database (in MS Access, used by myself and my guildies) and I tossed all your tankpoint ratings in there, but there is a bunch of other gear in there that you don't have rated (not really tanking-focused gear) that I would like to assign tankpoint ratings to such that the tankpoints are directly comparable to the tankpoint ratings you have provided.
    Last edited by Optikal; 12-05-2007 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks Berg. I keep forgetting that because Armor and Stamina scale differently (and as a function of one another) that the rankings will change based on how much helath/armor one has.

I think what I hear you saying is that tankpoints add on will calculate this for you on the fly. In other words, put on my gear, then go to my bags and mouse over my other gear. If it's a positive number showing on the tankpoints of the gear in my bag, then equip that gear instead.

As I get different gear, depending on the health and armor differences, gear that previously showed LESS tankpoints in my bag, may now show MORE tankpoints than previously.

First let me express my sincerest gratitude for the work you have put into this list and explain that it has helped me numerous times in choosing gear.

I only have one small comment and that is that maybe the arena thrown weapons should be included, since they are easily obtainable and by season 3 has started to rack up some impressive stats.

For instance
    Vengeful Gladiator's War Edge - Items - World of Warcraft

About the gloves:

I find myself using the maiden gloves over the t4 gloves (both enchanted with +2% and the maiden gloves gemmed with +12 stam x 2).

Am i wrong in doing this ?? And what about the 2.3 tank badge gloves should i get those instead? i alrdy got all the other new badge items (tank related) i am very happy with the legs

Quote Originally Posted by Ranx View Post
    About the gloves:

I find myself using the maiden gloves over the t4 gloves (both enchanted with +2% and the maiden gloves gemmed with +12 stam x 2).

Am i wrong in doing this ?? And what about the 2.3 tank badge gloves should i get those instead? i alrdy got all the other new badge items (tank related) i am very happy with the legs

the gloves are the next thing i am going to get,, come on, its 12 more stam than the maiden gloves, might lose defense, but if your over 490, oh well.... has alot of hit, thats great...

A table of contents for this would be great, I always come here to look for rings or something and have a hard time finding them. If you put on the first page kinda in the intro something like

pants bottom page 2
    Gloves middle page 3
    Boots top page 4

in order of course it would make things a lot easier.

This list is great by the way, I constantly refer to it.

So why isn't [item]Heartrazor[/item] listed? Our dagger rogue has been working a 2nd job during the holiday season so last night we only had 1 rogue in raid who's sword spec. I minimum bid on it just because I always do to save stuff from being sharded. Anyway our sword rogue bid too (and won) but then he changed his mind and passed. After like 5 minutes of "Are you sure, you're sure" in vent I picked it up.

Anyway the +20 Agi makes it intriguing since it adds 40AC and I think (please correct my math if I'm wrong) 0.66% dodge. While it still has 30 stamina. I believe that the net avoidance (16 defense, vs 20 agi) and EHP on [item]Mallet of the Tides[/item] are better however this dagger is fairly close. My hunch is that the expertise on the mace tips everything in it's favor, but I don't know how much additional threat would be generated by the proc on the dagger and the critical strike provided by +Agi.

I'm in no way shape or form advocating that tanks should bid on this dagger! But if it's about to get sharded it may be worthwhile in the hands of a tank.

An important distinction should be made in this guide regarding the following:
    "+Block increases the amount of damage reduced during a shield block and the +Block value is added onto Shield Slam damage so it is also an aggro stat. Shield Slam is one of the few moves that scale with gear, so stacking +Block is important. Personally, I keep all gear with +Block just so I have a set of gear that can put out some ridiculous shield slam crits."
    Block Rating increases the chance of a block to occur.
    Block Value increases how much damage a block absorbs as well as Shield Slam Damage.

Also:
    "Aggro generating stats:

1.) Expertise
    2.) Hit
    3.) Agility
    4.) Strength
    5.) Crit"
    Should include Block Value as well. (likely between Agility and Hit)

I picked up the brooch of the immortal king off terokk today, and was going to use it to replace the adamantite figurine i've been toting around just in case i need the defense. I came on here to see how it ranked, and noticed that it isn't on the list. How do you feel about this particular trinket? In my opinion it looks like the best blue defense trinket, but how does tank points feel about that use versus the adamantite figurine's?

Brooch of the Immortal King - Items - World of Warcraft

Am i the only one that can't find "chestguard of the warlord" on the list ?? it just dropped for me in za today. i would like to see how it compares with my old t4 chest in ur rankings

* Spinesever was nerfed. I'm glad I didn't pay the thousands it was going for. It sucks that Blizzard can just nerf something like that when someone might spend lots of gold (the equivilent of hundreds of RL dollars on something).

* Added the Arena ranged weapon and Heartrazor

* Somehow I completely fumbled the points on [item]Praetorian's Legguards[/item]. I actually had them listed below Wrynn's, and didn't notice until I actually picked them up myself and saw a massive upgrade over T5. You people are supposed to tell me these things.

* added some clarification on Block, and went with Venny's suggestions.

[item]Shapeshifter's Signet[/item] is a really solid threat ring. It's a pretty decent mitigation ring as well.

+ Reply to Thread