+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 128

Thread: 2.4 Polar's Easy Pre-Karazhan Tank Gear List

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    58
    Yes, I tend to agree with the SSO strategy. That shield is far too good to pass up

    Although, I am not 100% convinced on going scryer just for the proc on the pendant. You miss out on the Aldor chest piece if you go this path. The Aldor chest will last you all the way through until you get the chest off Nightbane or Magtheridon whereas the neck piece can be upgraded with the neck off Maiden.

    Happy to hear if anyone else has an opinion on this.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    261
    Thank you for this list. So refreshing to see a pre-Kara gear list that doesn't involve farming 200+ Badges.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5
    Under Ogri'la Aegis, you have suggested gems listed as Solid Azure Moonstone x3. However, it appears to only have 2 sockets.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Dof View Post
    Under Ogri'la Aegis, you have suggested gems listed as Solid Azure Moonstone x3. However, it appears to only have 2 sockets.
    Well spotted. I will get it fixed with the next update.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    110
    Another reason to work that SSO rep: I have been finding KoT rep a little hard to come by, so I have been using [item]Glyph of the Gladiator[/item] on my helmet. Nice stamina boost and the 20 resilience lowers the uncrittable defense requirement to 477, if my math is correct.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1
    im trying to gear up in a hurry to OT kara and runsome heroics, i have not played my warrior in a long time cause i got bored with pvp on him. im probably gonna have a new weapon tonight, and i know i need to replace all my trinkets rings and neck. and i have the stam gems in the bank for the rest of my slots. but how does the rest of the gear look as starter gear, please dont laugh =/ constructive criticism and advice welcome.

    The World of Warcraft Armory

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by noxviator View Post
    im trying to gear up in a hurry to OT kara and runsome heroics, i have not played my warrior in a long time cause i got bored with pvp on him. im probably gonna have a new weapon tonight, and i know i need to replace all my trinkets rings and neck. and i have the stam gems in the bank for the rest of my slots. but how does the rest of the gear look as starter gear, please dont laugh =/ constructive criticism and advice welcome.

    The World of Warcraft Armory
    You look fine to tank Karazhan and heroics. Your 218 resilience is ensuring that you are crit immune even though you don't have too much defense.

    Your health and armor values are quite adequate - in fact, your armor is great.

    Your dodge is probably the area that you need to work on next - your avoidance is a bit low.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    10
    Sorry just a quick question, how does the old Arena 2 shield stack up against the SSO exalted shield please?

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1

    Pld. Tank

    This gear is great workign on it myself but any other gear would be sugested for Pld. Tanks.... for pre kara i see alot of PLd tanks having spell damamge and the +40 spell dammage to the weapon... im lvl 63 right now and working hard. Also shuld i use the War. tyoe weapons or the mage type? like a mace or sword that has spell dammage or high DPS "somthing more a war would use.... since a war going for somthing with 80 dps vs. the 41.5 dps and spell dammage".... ? I had a Druid tank but much rather my pld so far.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,412
    first and foremost you need to survive so use whatever you need from this list (warrior type) to get to the minimum stats, then once you have better gear, grab a threat weapon (Continuum Blade is a good baseline for paladins) and put +40 spell damage on it, until you grab tier gear or badge gear, this will probably be your only source of spell damage so it'll help a lot with your TPS.

    READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1

    Attempting to polish a very polished guide...

    Ciderhelm and Polar – thank you both very much for setting so many tanks on the road, both at and before level 70. As Polar determines the helm, chest, legs and shield are priority items I should mention that I do touch on all of these slots among my humble suggestions, having first read every posting here and the majority of Cider’s compilation/compendium on tanking theory. Everyone reading this should do that. I tackle my list of potentially worthy mentionables in the same slot order as the existing front page posting, which I have enjoyed hunting and collecting through.

    HEAD: Unlike the excellent Felsteel Helm, the Gladiator’s Plate Helm has a meta slot for Powerful Earthstorm Diamond. Combined with its high armor, high stam, resilience (and set resil bonus) it is a serious contender. The head ench slot could mention the SSO Revered Glyph and the Heavy Knothide Armor Kit.

    SHOULDERS: The Heavy Knothide Armor Kit I mentioned above is also good for shoulders, especially if you struggle to pay AH prices for the required Aldor/Scryer hand-ins. This versatile 10 stam boost comes for the price of 3 Heavy Knothide Leather from the AH or a friendly LW. It’ll also work on your chest if the mats for +150HP are proving costly.

    CLOAK: There are a plethora of cheap lvl 65+ greens randomly on the AH. Many have stamina and agility base stats and are worthy of consideration to begin with.

    LEGS: The Gladiator’s Plate Legguards (and chest) give +hit which is good for threat. Given that the PvP chest, helm and shoulders have gem slots, the +2 set bonus of 35 resilience is very feasible without endless grinding – and having resilience helps with magic damage in a way that armor alone may not. These legs have a whopping 1353 armor and 55 stam, 40 str (worth 2 block points) and that 12 hit I mentioned. If you have done a lot of PvP or don't have the full Felsteel set bonus – do look at these.

    Nethercleft Leg Armor is a possible option if you can afford the mats, or can get that friendly LW you know to make a set for you. To be honest, befriending or being a 375 BS, Ench, JC, LW, and Trans Alch covers many of your Warrior/Tanking needs.

    FEET: The costly Boar’s Speed ench is worthy of note in my opinion, if Mongoose is deemed ok for the wep on the existing list of suggested items.

    GLOVES: Again, if you have an incomplete Felsteel (the solid starter) set, Gladiator’s Plate Gauntlets high armor and stam, resilience and that +2 set bonus resilience – as well as enough str for 1 more block point. The only downside of the Gladiators items is that they do not come with Defence. Also, the Legs and Gloves do not have gem slots like the other three items. However, if you are factoring in the resilience these items do help to achieve that mighty mantra for noob 70 tanks – pack on the armor and stamina.

    TRINKET: If, like so many Fury/Arms talent based lvlers, you missed the Regal Protectorate in favour of the Bladefist’s Breadth, consider the 22 hit and 140AP boost of the Terokkar Tablet of Precision or the 20 resilience and movement control life saver of the PvP Medallion of the Horde. Trinkets are so hard to come by that I really do feel these are worthy of mention, particularly as they respectively add threat and may save your healer’s life and thus prevent a stressful wipe.

    ENCH: There are many Vision Dust, Dream Dust and Nether Essence enchants that cash strapped 70s may wish to consider, if they find the Large Prismatic Shards and Greater Planar Essence costs prohibitive. They may only give half of the stats of the top ench for item slots, but you are progressing through gear and they cost next to nothing to have.

    SUGGESTIONS: Could the SSO Glyph (Revered), Shield and Neck items be included in your front page list, even though two of the items are exalted? It only takes a couple of weeks to get the rep via MGT and the 11 Isle dailies and 7 or 8 Outland dailies (8 if you have a gathering profession) post 2.4 - and these items are now very much among the current "low-cost" benchmarks for people to aim for, as they gather their gear into early Karazhan territory.

    QUESTIONS: Would you rate the Inuuro’s Blade speed of 1.4 and its expertise of 11 ahead of an epic Dragonstrike with Mongoose? I currently use this mace as my DW offhand for SSO grinding, with another Dragonstrike Executioner in my MH. However, I respect that the Inuuro’s Blade is very special to tanks for a blue and I ask you if it is worth me getting it with Mongoose or should I wait until I have braved Karazhan? I am getting ready to raid and I know I have a tough choice to make here in New Zealand about US versus Oceanic server times.
    Last edited by Fearghail O'Skullcrusher; 08-15-2008 at 12:26 AM.
    For inspiration and motivation, check out the prose passages Desiderata by Max Ehrmann and If by Rudyard Kipling.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Trondheim, Norway
    Posts
    1

    Great

    This is a great list, I have used it myself alot. I have got most of those items myself, some better items and some worse items...

    Myself I diden't find the Netherwing trinket hard to get, 1 retri pala and 1 prot warrior made it quite nicely

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1

    Almost ready?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ukk View Post
    Another reason to work that SSO rep: I have been finding KoT rep a little hard to come by, so I have been using [item]Glyph of the Gladiator[/item] on my helmet. Nice stamina boost and the 20 resilience lowers the uncrittable defense requirement to 477, if my math is correct.
    I think I've nearly reached my target stats if this is true. I have 487 Defense currently. I still want shoulders, bracers, feet, and mongoose for my sword.

    Do you agree?

    The World of Warcraft Armory

    Edit: I broke down and bought Bracers of the Green Fortress which put me at 491 defense. I'm now just a few hitpoints short of 12k unbuffed. I'm running Auch Crypts for Lower City Shoulders and practice tanking.

    I'd like to thank everyone who made contributions to this thread. You made starting my tanking career so much simpler.
    Last edited by phorim; 08-19-2008 at 08:34 AM.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8
    Loads of great info and will for sure follow

    Btw i have seen some tanks running around with the deathfrost enchant Enchant Weapon - Deathfrost - Thottbot: World of Warcraft ...is that good over moongoose or are the tanks saving gold

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,681
    Saving gold. The melee effect is equivalent to thunderclap. So if it's a warrior tank, improved thunderclap should be what they're using to debuff melee (the effects don't stack either).

    Not sure if it's worth it for pally's since they don't get thunderclap, but I assume other enchants are still better for them.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2
    when you say dodge+parry to be 30% you mean each one of them 30% or both of them to equal 30%(like 14%+16%)

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by superrobo View Post
    when you say dodge+parry to be 30% you mean each one of them 30% or both of them to equal 30%(like 14%+16%)
    Added together you need > 30%

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2
    thanks Polar for the Clarification

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    179
    Ty Ty Ty.....as a prot for 70 levels warrior I was dreading dinging 70 today. However I feel much better now knowing my goal of starting Kara runs isn't as far away as I thought. I already have some of the quest gear you suggested and IM not far off of the 490 defense mark 420 now unbuffed and depending on what set I wear almost 11k hp and 11900 armor. I am gonna ding today and now have a much better idea of what to work for. I am however gonna grind some rep and marks in the 60-69 bgs before I ding. I was afraid to be laughed at if I showed up in any of that gear but now I can quote this great site and post as my reason for grabbing them lol.

    Again TY for the work put into compliling this post!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10
    Thanks for the list, it has helped me well!

    I do have a query regarding trinkets though - I passed on the [item]Regal Protectorate[/item] as I was only low 60 and was looking for arms items then for levelling at the time...it was aaaages ago.

    Because of this I am left with [item]Dabiri's Enigma[/item] and have a spare Trinket slot - the only two trinkets worth getting are both from Instance drops (SL & SH, of which I havn't had a drop yet despite running each instance around 7 times).

    Is there any other alternative quest/rep trinket which could be used in the meantime? Even a green would be more useful than nothing.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts