+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2.4 Polar's Easy Pre-Karazhan Tank Gear List

Great guide. About to hit 70 with my warrior and have gotten most of the items listed. One I wanted to add is:

The World of Warcraft Armory

Easy quest and not a bad, fast, tanking sword.

i'm sorry if i missed this question already being posted, but i didn't see
    Mag'hari Warlord's Legplates listed - would they be an acceptable leg piece?

I noticed a typo in the gear list.

Warchief's Mantle is listed as a Caverns of Time: Black Morass quest reward item

It is actually a Caverns of Time: Old Hillsbrad quest reward item.

Its not much of a problem since you HAVE to do OH first anyways, but I thought I'd point that out

I have a question about defense over 490.

After you are uncrittable are you better off stacking sta or continuing to pour on the defense to add more avoidance?

I have been concentrating on becoming uncrittable and then stacking hp. Using that theory the Aldor Breastplate isn't all that good, it has a ton of defense and dodge but it only has 40ish sta, my current bp has considerably more sta and some agility but less defense. I have the same issue with the shoulder slot. The current shoulders I have equipped have a ton of sta and some strength but no defense, but I have the shoulders from the Black Stalker (forget the name of them) that have quite a bit more defense.

I think I'm ok on the minimums, over 30% combined dodge and parry. 24%ish block, uncrittable (part defense part resiliance), 14500ac, 12400hp. The question now is what do I focus on improving to help the healers out?

Also I'm up for suggestions on gear improvements. I want to pick up some more hit if I can and I'm working on the questline for Gromtor's Charge, my current gear + racial is good for a -3.75% dodge/parry with axes so I think I'm pretty much stuck with an axe for a while.

Looking forward, as an orc is Suneater or Kings Defender any better than Gromtors charge for a tanking weapon? The DPS is so bad on Gromtors charge but the expertise from being an orc rocks.

Armory is here The World of Warcraft Armory

Quote Originally Posted by marklar View Post
    i'm sorry if i missed this question already being posted, but i didn't see
    Mag'hari Warlord's Legplates listed - would they be an acceptable leg piece?
    Hi,

I have not included these in the list because:

(a) The Felsteel and Timewarden's legs are superior
    (b) The Felsteel are very easy to obtain from the AH or in /trade
    (c) The Maghari ones are from a horde only quest and it is a *long* chain

I agree that they are a good set though.

Quote Originally Posted by gravelayer View Post
    Great guide. About to hit 70 with my warrior and have gotten most of the items listed. One I wanted to add is:

The World of Warcraft Armory

Easy quest and not a bad, fast, tanking sword.
    Hi,

Yes, similarly, it is a great sword but I have several listed already that are slightly better.

Out of them all, [item]Crystalblade of the Draenei[/item] is very easy (and cheap) to obtain from the AH and is a nice tanking item. Although, the weapon you list has the nice advantage of having a little expertise rating on it.

Quote Originally Posted by polypusher View Post
    I noticed a typo in the gear list.

Warchief's Mantle is listed as a Caverns of Time: Black Morass quest reward item

It is actually a Caverns of Time: Old Hillsbrad quest reward item.

Its not much of a problem since you HAVE to do OH first anyways, but I thought I'd point that out
    Consider it fixed! thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    I have a question about defense over 490.

After you are uncrittable are you better off stacking sta or continuing to pour on the defense to add more avoidance?

I have been concentrating on becoming uncrittable and then stacking hp. Using that theory the Aldor Breastplate isn't all that good, it has a ton of defense and dodge but it only has 40ish sta, my current bp has considerably more sta and some agility but less defense. I have the same issue with the shoulder slot. The current shoulders I have equipped have a ton of sta and some strength but no defense, but I have the shoulders from the Black Stalker (forget the name of them) that have quite a bit more defense.

I think I'm ok on the minimums, over 30% combined dodge and parry. 24%ish block, uncrittable (part defense part resiliance), 14500ac, 12400hp. The question now is what do I focus on improving to help the healers out?

Also I'm up for suggestions on gear improvements. I want to pick up some more hit if I can and I'm working on the questline for Gromtor's Charge, my current gear + racial is good for a -3.75% dodge/parry with axes so I think I'm pretty much stuck with an axe for a while.

Looking forward, as an orc is Suneater or Kings Defender any better than Gromtors charge for a tanking weapon? The DPS is so bad on Gromtors charge but the expertise from being an orc rocks.

Armory is here The World of Warcraft Armory
    Hi, you are well and truly ready to venture into Karazhan. I take it from your gear that you have not been in yet. It is the logical next step in your gearing and a lot of good gear drops from bosses in there, including bracers, belt, gloves, neck, helm and legs from the 1st half of the instance.

There is not one single stat that you are weak in, from what I can see, so I don't have any specific recommendations other than to build on all of your stats. There is certainly benefit to more defense after 490 and this is discussed in some detail in the guides on this site.

As for the axe and dps - I find that getting your shield slam/revenge/devastate/devastate combo working well gives bigger increases to threat than what you get from adding a few DPS to your weapon. I would not get too hung up on the weapon dps unless you are really struggling for threat generation.

The Sun Eater and Kings Defender are great weapons but the Expertise Racial bonus you get is also a great asset. Fortunately, it seems to have been kicked around already: Orc Warriors & Tanking with Axes - TankSpot

Folks, feel free to comment if you have anything further to add.
    Last edited by Polar; 04-10-2008 at 08:08 PM.

I understand the reluctance to add PvP sourced gear but I really feel the Gladiator Shield Wall is a 'must have'. Its so easy to get - I had it waiting for me when I dinged 70.

I find the gladiators shoulders are an incredible help too.

There really aren't any good shoulders before Gruuls lair. The Pvp shoulders aren't ideal but they have terrific AC and a pile of sta. The resil helps if you're low def for some reason too.

I have been reading this thread with great interest as im leveling a warrior.

Im current using the blade from Durn [item]Crystalline Kopesh[/item] and was luckey to get a [item]Crystalblade of the Draenei[/item] drop. but at the same time i was doing the quest: Declawing Doomclaw. from Mama Wheeler in Netherstorm. one of the rewards is [item]Pilfered Ethereal Blade[/item]. Thottbot link; Quest: Declawing Doomclaw

Which now leads me to my question:
    Isnt [item]Pilfered Ethereal Blade[/item] better than [item]Crystalline Kopesh[/item] or close to being as good as it?

On another notion thanks for a great site you guys are doing a great job for us nub tanks.

If given the choice I'd use the green, as I personally found a weapon above 1.8 speed a bit slow for tanking. I had the blue but generally used something else [Crystalblade of the Draenei]. I always found it annoying as it was a damn good reward, just a smidge slow.

I'd also make a beeline for SMV for the Grom'Tor axe as I wished I'd grabbed that earlier, as it did make a huge difference to what I was doing, and probably the easiest tanky weapon to get prior to KZ. Given it being a green I'm not sure I'd bother with a decent enchant unless you're seriously loaded, maybe crusader if anything tops.
    Last edited by Dunmail; 04-22-2008 at 01:38 AM.
    Former TBC/LK Tank
    Waiting for Dunmail Jnr to sleep to enable online gaming.

Just wanted to say that I really enjoy the guides on here. A friend recommended this site to me when I started leveling my warrior. I'm no stranger to raiding and but have been primarily going as a healer. I made my tank because our guild needed one. I feel I'm getting close to being ready for Kara and heroics, but not quite sure since I don't have anyone to compare myself to.

Vissara on Archimonde

I know that my weapon is a little slow for tanking. I've been working towards Inuuro's Blade. Should either be able to get that or the Thrallmar rep axe soon. Aside from enchants (which I am lacking terribly) is there anything else I could do to help be ready for heroics/Kara?

Quote Originally Posted by Dunmail View Post
    If given the choice I'd use the green, as I personally found a weapon above 1.8 speed a bit slow for tanking. I had the blue but generally used something else [Crystalblade of the Draenei]. ...
    Given it being a green I'm not sure I'd bother with a decent enchant unless you're seriously loaded, maybe crusader if anything tops.
    Thx for the responce.
    im now just short of 12000 heath and armor. but have been deemed ready for kara tanking.

I got high-jacked into kara OT tanking at 10000 health and 11000 armor. and after some terrible tanking on the trash leading to opera i improved and did well after. i tanked J on R&J with no problems.

I think i just need to get pratice now so that ill panic less ;D

Link to armory for anyone whos interested to have a look and give critisism: The World of Warcraft Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Bosk View Post
    I understand the reluctance to add PvP sourced gear but I really feel the Gladiator Shield Wall is a 'must have'. Its so easy to get - I had it waiting for me when I dinged 70.
    I will certainly consider PvP gear for the list especially if it is easy to get (ie. 15k honor points or less) and there is no trivial alternative on the list.

I will get the shield added shortly and will review the PvP shoulders as well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks for this guide dude. You saved me tons of time, and by following it religiously, I went from green machine to 490 def / 12k hps inside of a week. Also I have one suggestion for gloves, and those are the dauntless handguards. Dauntless Handguards - Thottbot: World of Warcraft. I know the point of your list is to focus on pieces that will serve a tank that is getting started in Karazhan, but, if your defense is over the cap, which it will be if this list is followed, these gloves are loads better than felsteel. And they're low hanging fruit: All you have to do for the quest is kill the first boss of normal shattered halls.
    Last edited by mkramer; 05-06-2008 at 04:42 AM.

im a little confused, i am really wondering why shoulderpads of the bold are not on this list?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreg View Post
    im a little confused, i am really wondering why shoulderpads of the bold are not on this list?
    Because the genius of this list is that it avoids listing random dungeon drops. It only lists questing, craftable, AH items, and revered-level rep items. Read the thread.
    Last edited by mkramer; 05-06-2008 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mkramer View Post
    Thanks for this guide dude. You saved me tons of time, and by following it religiously, I went from green machine to 490 def / 12k hps inside of a week.
    Excellent. I am very pleased to hear that it has been a success for you!

Quote Originally Posted by mkramer View Post
    Also I have one suggestion for gloves, and those are the dauntless handguards. Dauntless Handguards - Thottbot: World of Warcraft. I know the point of your list is to focus on pieces that will serve a tank that is getting started in Karazhan, but, if your defense is over the cap, which it will be if this list is followed, these gloves are loads better than felsteel. And they're low hanging fruit: All you have to do for the quest is kill the first boss of normal shattered halls.
    I don't quite agree with your statement "these gloves are loads better than felsteel". Personally, I think the felsteel gloves are better than the dauntless. Here's why:
    1. Superior armor value
    2. Extremely easy to obtain from AH (and often cheap, too)
    3. 2 sockets allowing whatever gem combo you want to improve your weaker stats
    4. Dauntless gloves have 'block rating', which is arguably a mostly useless stat for warriors (but good for pallies wanting to push crushings off)

The good thing about dauntless is that you get some shield block value, which will help with better threat from shield slams.

If the Felsteel gloves were difficult to obtain then I would have dauntless up there in a flash though

Regards.

I propose a different factioning strategy post 2.4.

First of all, I think the #1 priority should be SSO rep to exalted. I know the point of this list thus far has been to avoid listing exalted-level reputation rewards, but SSO, I think, is special. Please hear me out. SSO exalted provides two items that will not be replaced for a long time: a threat neck and a shield (for while the neck will do as a survival piece). Besides getting two tank items for the price if your grind, instead of the usual 1 piece for other rep grinds, SSO is also relatively easier to get than Sha'tar, Cen Ex, or Aldor/Scryer. You get it by accident when you do the awesome money making circuit on IQD. If you throw in the 6x nagrand, bladestorm, netherstorm, hellfire penn, and SMV dailies, as well as the gathering daily, you net more than 3k rep (*I'm going to find the exact number today) and 150+ gold, and it takes me as a crappy prot warrior about 1 1/2 hours to do the whole circuit (tho I have epic flyer now). I went a week at 70 without doing IQD dailies and I'm kicking myself now. I think the number 1 thing to do as a new 70 is do your dailies religiously. Going for SSO also means you can ignore Sha'tar rep entirely and that saves time as well (log on, start doing IQD dailies, put on the LFG: MGT sign).

Why?

1. SSO revered provides a tanking sword which is on par or better than the heroic mechanar dropped sword. (And farming Heroic Mech was one usual way to get Sha'tar rep).

Compare for yourself: [item] Inuuro's Blade - Item - World of Warcraft[/item] [item] The Sun Eater - Item - World of Warcraft [/item]

2. SSO exalted provides a shield that is on par with the Sha'tar exalted shield, but SSO is incredibly easy to attain. You be the judge:

[item] Dawnforged Defender - Item - World of Warcraft[/item] (SSO) vs [item] Crest of the Sha'tar - Item - World of Warcraft[/item].

SSO is extremely easy to farm to exalted; I would dare to say it's as easy to get SSO to exalted as Aldor/Scryer to revered. MGT is a great little instance that yields 2k rep per run and I recommending running it into the ground on normal as you gear up so you can be experienced with MGT when you go back there for heroic.

Also, 2.4 means it is time to revisit the old debate of Scryer vs. Aldor. This is because the Scryer's Pendant of Resolve proc is better than Aldor, and Scryer rep items cost less than half as much on my server since 2.4 and MGT/IQD Dailies.

What you get from SSO
    [item] Inuuro's Blade - Item - World of Warcraft[/item] (Revered)
    [item] Shattered Sun Pendant of Resolve - Item - World of Warcraft[/item] (Exalted; Exalted Aldor/Scryer)
    [item] Dawnforged Defender - Item - World of Warcraft[/item] (Exalted)

As well as a bunch of ilvl 115 blue weapons for those times when you DPS or solo, and an 18sta/resi glyph.
    Last edited by mkramer; 05-19-2008 at 07:02 AM.

+ Reply to Thread