+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.4 Polar's Easy Pre-Karazhan Tank Gear List

Quote Originally Posted by Redlen View Post
    I might suggest as a craftable you add
    Helm of the Stalwart Defender
    I know the mats are more intensive but anyone questing through nether storm probally has the primal manas and if your a miner then the earth and adamantite are easy to get
    Hi Redlen,

I agree that it is a great item but it falls outside my "easy-to-get" classification

If I add it then there are a whole swag of other items that should be added.

Regards,
    Polar

Quote Originally Posted by Drios View Post
    Was wondering if this list is viable for pally tanks?
    Yes indeed. This list is very viable for pally tanks. Obviously you need to strive to be able to push crushings off the attack table as well (which puts a bit more emphasis on avoidance stats and block rating early). Also, the choice of weapon for pally tanks tends to be those that include some more spell damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurwar View Post
    Now, on to the question. Since I haven't started my pre-req's for Ogri'la rep yet, I've been using the Netherwing Protector's Shield. But last night, Platinum Shield of the Valorous dropped for me. I was wondering if it's a justifiable upgrade or not. I can see that it's an increase in straight up armor, block, stamina, and defense rating, but I'm not sure of the impact of losing dodge % (from agility) and block value from the equip bonus. What should I be drawing a comparison on? Common sense tells me I'm getting more health from the stamina increase than I'm losing from the block value, but is that a fair comparison? Also, should I still go with Major Stamina as an enchant, or would Tough Shield be better?
    My opinion - they are very close. The Valorous will give you an increase in effective health but the Netherwing will give you a bit more threat generation. Most people would probably go the Valorous, especially if their threat gen seems fine.

I got a question, since i fixed full s1 epic pvp suit first. Any part of those that is > these gear?

I am thinking atleast that the shield might be. Quite big diffrence on shield, havent fixed the ogrila shield yet. Since it will take some time to fix that rep.

I have fixed
    [Netherwing Protector's Shield] tho

It would be nice with some more trinket suggestions, since 1 of those u recommend atm i aint able to get. Since i choosed another trinket when i lvled.
    Last edited by blejs; 01-20-2008 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blejs View Post
    I got a question, since i fixed full s1 epic pvp suit first. Any part of those that is > these gear?

I am thinking atleast that the shield might be. Quite big diffrence on shield, havent fixed the ogrila shield yet. Since it will take some time to fix that rep.

I have fixed
    [Netherwing Protector's Shield] tho

It would be nice with some more trinket suggestions, since 1 of those u recommend atm i aint able to get. Since i choosed another trinket when i lvled.
    Hi,

A lot of the S1 PvP (Gladiator's) gear is quite good. The shoulders, chest and shield are particularly good items.

I have had a quick hack a developing a Loot Rank template for this. Take a look at:

Loot Rank - Warrior Tank

You can get a feel for the item values across the PvP set.

As for trinkets - the pickings are kind of slim. Best to go for the [item]Adamantine Figurine[/item] from Shadow Labs if you can't get any on the list.

Tnx, i will try go get that trinket.

1 downside atm is that my pvp gear also got pvp stats. And i prolly wont change that If i dont get a extra set of pvp gear that is :]]

First off I just want to say I love the guide ... It is informative and very helpful to tanks just starting out (like me) ... One thing I would like to mention though are the stats you get with this gear ... with the above list I do not think you would be able to tank any heroics above Hellfire or Coilfang ... Here is what I mean:

Dodge:16.99%
    Parry: 17.17%
    Block: 16.28% (158 block)

Again I am new but I could be wrong ... If I am let me know lol

as long as you get 30% total parry/dodge combined you're probably good enough to tank most heroics and kara, i try to balance around 40% total parry/dodge/miss and the rest goes into my eh and threat, block is inconsequential for tanking stuff unless pushing for uncrushability passively. Don't worry those numbers are awesome infact.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I don't recall seeing the new weapon chain listed for a weapon buff. + to parry could be considered a nice side add-on if a tank is looking for more avoidance.

-Heartwood

Kaz and I are attempting to fix the item links in this thread. Polar, you may need to edit the thread and save it again, it won't work for us.

Excellent list. I feel that you might want to add the Season 1 Arena Shield on the list. Although it lacks any kind of defense or shield block rating, it does provide a huge amount of stam, block, and armor. At 15k honor points and 20 Eye of the Storm marks this shield is easily attainable.

Gladiator's Shield Wall - Items - World of Warcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    Kaz and I are attempting to fix the item links in this thread. Polar, you may need to edit the thread and save it again, it won't work for us.
    Seems to be fixed now

I think this guide is correct for the most part in a realistic aspect, and I appreciate the time and effort that went into it, I don't want to sound ungrateful but I think it needs to be amended.

Why? for the simple fact not even with the best gear of each catergory will you be "allowed" to do an heroic, simple fact is the vast majority of groups will except no less then partial tier 4 geared tank at the least, I have been kicked numerous times from groups not because I caused a wipe or could not hold aggro but because the healer actually had to pay attention and heal proactively, I have been kicked many times soon after my armory profile was looked up.

12k hp 495 defense 13k armor should be more then sufficent, but I have been told numerous time that these are the stats of a scrub tank. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ght&n=Unsurper

Sad I don't have the time right now to farm Kara right now, so therefore my tanking career is at it end....dps demands it weight to be carried at all cost, then I say screw the bastards.
    Last edited by Unsurper; 02-03-2008 at 09:05 PM.

that's a misconception unsurper, I tanked heroics in worst gear than this. Its crazy to think you need t4 to do content that drops less than t4 gear. the mode of progression is:

5 mans -> heroics -> 10 mans -> 25 mans

it doesn't work the other ways around. If they think you are a scrub tank then they are fooled and should just grab their "godly" MT from their guild and GTFO.

I fully realize the progression, I've tanked all of the dungeons on normal levels numerous times, every healer I've group with I asked afterwards how demanding it was for them to heal me......they say I was easy to keep healed compared to most tanks they have grouped with.
    I use macros which insure shield block is always up when the gcd is up, that is not an issue.

I really, honestly don't have the time it requires to join a true raid guild right now, it would be unfair if I did because there are certain requirements as far as time/resources devoted towards a raid guild that are fairly expected, I 'am not going to be one of these people who uses others to obtain gear at my conveince.

Therefore I have to resort to pugs, unfortunately there is a rash of people with their welfare pvp epics now doing heroics, most of them don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, pvp gear imo is alright when used to fill gaps, but it is the worst setup imo because of the nature of the damage it produce which is for the most part burst damage which spikes unpredicably, still in all I still can do my job despite this, but can they do their ...no and I pay the price in the end.....I did my grind to set myself up to be the best tank possible within reason and they have done what to prepare themselves, shooting of 1k heals doesn't cut it, gearing dps as a healer because the gear happens to be epic doesn't cut it.

Why not join a guild that just does 5 mans then? Not every pve guild raids. Then you'd get to know people and they'd get to know you. Earn some street cred.

It's very rare that I'd be willing to tank in my t4/badge gear for a pug, in fact I don't think I've ever done it. It's too expensive to waste time on people who can't manage to play their class at even 70% of it's ability so I only tank for friends and people they know don't suck or people from other sucessful raiding guilds.

Just a little constructive feedback from a new warrior -- I found this site while searching for something, don't remember what it was. I had a warrior, but was a little apprehensive about playing it much because I knew nothing about playing one. After spending some time on this site and all of the referenced sites, I started leveling my warrior. Thanks to all you expert contributers, I will ding lvl 70 tonight with around 485 defense (I could easily gem for 490, because it is all stam gems, but i expect another piece or two from this list). On our guild site, I am one of the primary contributors to the warrior forum and am bringing up issues that some of the "old" warriors were unaware of. Thanks for this list Polar and the awesome community effort Ciderhelm et all. You gave me a renewed interest in WOW and a lot to look forward to while improving my warrior.
    Last edited by Lukazra; 02-06-2008 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Spelling 101

glad to see some passionate warriors joining our roster Luka =]

Hey i wonder, could u guys give me some suggestions for shoulders and boots? Atm i am using s1 gear for those (tho my shoulders got pvp gems on it aswell)

I was thinking of getting those badges boots, but i couldnt find any shoulders for badges aswell?

My gear atm

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...n=Blejsabambam
    Last edited by blejs; 02-24-2008 at 05:53 PM.

Updated with some new patch 2.4 items.

Specifically:

[item]Inuuro's Blade[/item] <- finally, some expertise and hit rating!
    [item]Seeker's Gavel[/item]
    [item]Savage Plate Shoulders[/item]
    Last edited by Polar; 02-26-2008 at 09:15 PM.

+ Reply to Thread