King's Defender - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28749

vs.

Mallet of the Tides - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30058

?

87.5 DPS vs. 93.5 DPS
    28 Stam vs. 33 Stam
    13 Defense vs. 15 Defense
    182 armor vs. None
    17 Hit Rating vs. 14 Weapon Skill Rating.

Obviously the mallet is slightly better in terms of DPS/Stam/Defense, but those are all rather small upgrades.

The main question for me lies in the 17 Hit Rating vs the 14 Weapon Skill Rating - Because if, for instance, 17 Hit Rating completely trumps weapon Skill, then maybe the King's Defender is worth keeping despite slight Stam/Defense upgrades?

So down to the question itself - Hit vs Weapon skill?

The 17 Hit Rating would give me 1% and change to hit (or 1% less to miss, if my understanding is correct).

When it comes to Weapon Skill, I really have no clue - According to wowwiki:

For each point that your weapon skill exceeds your opponent's defense, you gain the following:

Note: These numbers are from pre-2.0, and may or may not still be correct. Crezax on the EU forums has made a post contradicting these values (see below).

* Your chance to miss decreases by 0.04%.
    * Your chance to score a critical hit increases by 0.04%.
    * Your opponent's chance to block your attack decreases by 0.04%.
    * Your opponent's chance to parry your attack decreases by 0.04%.
    * Your opponent's chance to dodge your attack decreases by 0.04%.
    Which is quite different than the blue post:

Let's say you increase your weapon skill by 4.

Against a mob 3 levels higher than you, you get: 0.8% lower chance to miss,
    0,4% lower chance to get dodged, 2,4% to be parried, and a 0,8% higher
    chance to crit."
    Which is vastly different and better than the 0.04% values.

Does anyone know the correct formula?

14 weapon skill rating at 3.9 to 1, will give me approximately 3.5 weapon skill.

For each point that I exceed my opponent's defense - what is the defense of a 73 lvl mob?

Either way, I'm stuck... I need someone to help me see this through

Thanks!

-Gardek

I have yet to see a good write-up of what weapon skill really does now.

I have Mallet and Blazefury and I tend to use them at different times. When I want to go full mitigation I use the mallet, but I tend to see better threat from the sword.

If it's KD vs. Mallet though I'd go with the mallet every time. The raw white dps will give you more threat. In addition the 33 stam is really good.

Defense on a mob is equal to its lvl * 5. 365 is the number for bosses.
    Weapon skill decreases ur chance to miss vs. mobs that are above lvl70. I would use KD for trash, Mallet for bosses.

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.
    Panda Cub with a Gnome pet!

Quote Originally Posted by Narshe View Post
    Defense on a mob is equal to its lvl * 5. 365 is the number for bosses.
    Cool, thanks!

Weapon skill decreases ur chance to miss vs. mobs that are above lvl70.
    Doesn't To Hit decrease your chance to miss as well then? By how much does weapon rating decrease your chance to miss? (As in, how do they compare?) Does it do anything else? I remember there being talk of increasing your chance to crit against mobs higher level than you.

A player's chance to miss in PVE is also greatly affected by difference in mobs' defense and the player's attack rating.

* If the monster's defense is 1 to 10 points greater than your weapon skill, you suffer 0.1% chance to miss per point.
    * If the difference is more than 10, the penalty is doubled to 0.2% per point

Increased weapon skill offsets this penalty directly - i.e. reducing the difference from 10 to 9 by equipping an item which grants 1 weapon skill will result in a 0.1% reduced chance to miss.

Note that this creates a "sweet spot" when attacking a mob 3 levels above the player (including "skull" bosses). Equipping an item that grants 5 extra weapon skill will effectively increase the player's chance to hit by a full 2%. 4 weapon skill would only grant 0.8% to hit, while 6 skill would give 2.1%.

From http://www.wowwiki.com/Formulas:Weapon_Skill

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.

I didn't know about that 'sweet spot' - as a human I better go looking for swords and maces again

In other words... Where are my freakin' Axes?!

Alliance win again

You have the Thrallmar revered and The Brutalizer in Supremus.

Alliance win again
    Just humans, gnomes got the worst of all, not only we are curse with bad camera angles and other races discrimination, we also have crap racials for pve -_-
    If only I wasn't cute as hell!

+ Reply to Thread