+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why not improved shield wall?

Why not improved shield wall?

I've seen so many tanks in respectable, progressed guilds who have really weird talent builds. Eh, different styles, I guess, so I just shrug. But when I see people who have weird points put in mostly useless things, and no improved shield wall, I want to cry. I'm seeing this more and more often. How are things like improved revenge more important when main tanking bosses in the harder 25 man content?

Is there something I'm missing? Is it not as valuable as I think it is?

Imp Shield Wall is not something you should need. In fact in an ideal world you should never use Shield Wall.
    Imp. Revenge is really great for 5-man heroic instances. Useless in 25man? well, maybe yes but its not something like pre-TBC. A lot of trash now is sheepeable, stuneable or fearable. Imp. Revenge is not a shitty talent as before.

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.
    Panda Cub with a Gnome pet!

I like Improved Revenge, but I also like Improved Shield Wall. It's great for snagging first boss kills.

I rarely had a build without Imp Shield Wall. But then again, Shield Wall was built into a lot of our Naxx strategies.

Well, I know the use for improved revenge in five mans, but the people I'm talking about are in at least SSC and TK (some beyond), and are main tanks. If I were a main tank, I would personally make my spec the best for tanking bosses, not for silly trash.

basing 2 talent points on a 30 minute cooldown, Oh shit button to last 5 seconds more is not my idea of a smart talent. If we could've downed it in 5 seconds longer of me alive, then we can get it next attempt, if we couldn't do it in my regular shield wall time, then we probably couldn't have anyways. But i see its usefulness, i just don't like it.

I can't speak for the raid encounters of this expansion, but I can name a few where those 5 seconds really mattered.

Nefarian phase 3 it saved me a few times. Maexxna it was a godsend because it was guaranteed to give your healers recovery after web wrap, and guaranteed you'd live through enrage. Emeriss final phase final mushrooms. Huhuran. Faerlina. Patchwerk. Vaelastrasz, sort of.

well, to sum it up, anything at all with some absurd enrage.

btw, go here and post something:
    http://www.tankspot.com/photoplog/

Gotta fix some links and backgrounds then i'll put it live.

Fights where Imp SW is gonna save u instead of normal SW in TBC? Maybe Gruul or Magtheridon transition from phase 1 to 2. It can be useful in Hydross too, to allow staying more seconds in a Poison phase, but its not something required.
    Maybe at Hyal//BT encounters is necesary but at SSC/TK level I haven't used too much SWs....

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.
    Panda Cub with a Gnome pet!

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I can't speak for the raid encounters of this expansion, but I can name a few where those 5 seconds really mattered.

well, to sum it up, anything at all with some absurd enrage.
    I love it. The moments "shouldn't" happen, but they always do eventually. I'd rather pop shield wall and keep that kill than wipe and reset any day.

Any time you get hit for huge amounts of damage shield wall is good.

I pretty much use it every time on Mag's Debris. Just makes things easier. Always good for cementing any kill, first or otherwise. The most important thing about shield wall is not to save it. If you get into trouble use it. You can't use it later if you're dead.

heh, maybe i'll pick it up and use it on prince fight next time i respec prot.

Oh and i got my gnomer auto-blocker, WOOT. ;]

For all those who said they have it for those "oh shit" moments, agreed. I can name many times I or others needed those extra five seconds to avoid a wipe.

The biggest benefit of Improve Shield Wall imo is when it locks in that kill when healers are literally sitting on 0 mana. I think we all know how devastating wiping on a boss when he's at 1 or 2 percent can be. It can literally halt your guilds progression that week to a standstill. The positive re-enforcement of downing a boss (not to mention the bettering of your gear with loot) is a massive boost to your self and your guild. So if this skill only wins you one progression fight ever instead of wiping at 1% then it was worth it.

On Imp Revenge: I found that I dropped it because it seemed to never proc when I needed it to, but at the same time it was constantly being like a bad rogue stunning a target that already had me rage starved resulting in a mob that was much more difficult to tank than it should have been. I like easy-mode tanking

The biggest benefit of Improve Shield Wall imo is when it locks in that kill when healers are literally sitting on 0 mana. I think we all know how devastating wiping on a boss when he's at 1 or 2 percent can be. It can literally halt your guilds progression that week to a standstill. The positive re-enforcement of downing a boss (not to mention the bettering of your gear with loot) is a massive boost to your self and your guild. So if this skill only wins you one progression fight ever instead of wiping at 1% then it was worth it.
    Perfect.

i never really considered that.

next time i go full prot i'll spec for that..

+ Reply to Thread