+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clicking?

Clicking?

--
    Last edited by Ariedan; 12-15-2008 at 01:35 AM.

Clicking is fine for some abilities but it's something you definitely want to move away from for your most important abilities. There are some movement fights that will be near impossible if you are still clicking.

Here's how I started. The 1-5 keys were my hotkeys that I learned first. I put my most important abilities onto the hotbar, in roughly this order:

1: Taunt
    2: Shield Block
    3: Shield Slam
    4: Revenge
    5: Sunder (or Devastate)

Getting used to those 5 isn't terribly hard and it will make you a better player by learning to do it. There are unfortunately some times when you must turn and move while keeping shield block up and using other abilities.

--
    Last edited by Ariedan; 12-15-2008 at 01:36 AM.

Are you left handed?

If not, it's gonna be rough, but not that rough. Get used to WASD.

If so, I've seen a few threads about it but have nothing to offer myself.

I use ~ through 6 as my core abilities and also hold down alt with my thumb to access the secondary row worth of abilities. So no matter the class or the role the essentials talents within easy and quick reach.

The remaining skills/talents are usually the ones with cool downs greater then or equal too thirty seconds. I use the mouse to click them.

Honesrly man go with what you are comfortable with. When you hit a wall, like tanking and moving at the same time, you will most likely adapt to what suits you best.

If you really need to change the was you access your skills, change you setup 100% some non raiding day and head out and grind something for an hour or two, you will adapt to the change in setup.

Its all about repatition, do it enough, and you will get comfortable with the new setup, then it will become second nature, then you can tank while watching TV........not that I have done that or anything >.<

WASD is generally better than arrow keys, just because there are more buttons around WASD that you can use. So I'd also suggest making the move to WASD.

For myself, WASD(QE) are for movement, and then I use 1-5, r, f (and ctrl + all of those) which gives me easy access to ... 14 hot keys? I click the rest, and the ones I click are usually abilites that I don't spam, like shouts, or abilities I rarely use, like shield wall.

It's quite possible to move while using hot keys. For instance, imagine pressing S and 4 at the same time. That'd be you backing up, while hitting shield block, if you were using my set up

-Gardek

Obviously it will be a personal preference either way but I'm sure you'll find that once you get used to it using your hotbar as opposed to clicking will increase your overall reaction times.

I've gone through many key setups over time but my current (and thus far, most effective) setup is as follows:

` - intervene
    1 - revenge
    2 - heroic strike
    3 - devastate
    4 - shield block
    5 - taunt
    q - shield slam
    e - thunder clap
    f - sunder armor
    g - stance dance macro

`(~) - 4 are all the most easily accessible number keys while using WASD so you'll want to make use of them for sure. Q, E (and possibly R if you don't mind remapping or unbinding your 'reply' hotkey) are likewise right at your fingertips. If I'm going to use sunder at least 5 times on a fight then it's sure as hell gonna get a keybind as well. F happens to be very accessible and unneeded elsewhere and G, being equally accessible, became my stance dance macro that I just have to hit 3 times to berserker->bers.rage->def. stance.

All in all, though, I can't emphasize enough that it's going to be a personal preference all around as for where you put what. You'll get used to your set up and it will flow naturally with some practice. That being said I wouldn't suggest changing it right before learning a new boss

You can also set up your num pad with some hotkey spells to enable you to spam shield block or whatever with "0" or "1"

I'm a clicker while tanking and it's never held me back, I do have a few buttons bound to abilities I use all the time or need to hit quickly:
    Z - Shield Block
    X - Stance Dance Macro
    2 - Taunt

New btw /wave

Stance Dance Macro?

/cast Berserker Stance
    /cast Berserker Rage
    /cast Defensive Stance

^^

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.
    Panda Cub with a Gnome pet!

I should use something like that

I know this is very bad but right nwo for me, my stances are hot keyed to Alt + F1/F2/F3.

Sometimes but not often, I slip when trying to catch that fear and hit Alt + F4

Quote Originally Posted by Stonehoof View Post
    I should use something like that

I know this is very bad but right nwo for me, my stances are hot keyed to Alt + F1/F2/F3.

Sometimes but not often, I slip when trying to catch that fear and hit Alt + F4
    lol that's great

lol yeh, that's scary

i have 3 rows hotkeyed
    1 thru =
    alt 1 thru =
    ctrl 1-6
    ctrl 1, 2, 3, are my stances
    alt's are my stationary bars
    and 1 thru = are my stance differential bars.

I used to use the arrow keys to turn as well (never used wasd in any game - have the numpad and delete, end, page up etc.. all key bound) and rarely used the mouse to turn as I'd always overshoot or something and it wasn't accurate...

however, whilst leveling & then herbing there are those mobs throughout Outland that 'transport' themselves somehow behind you and after a short while of practicing I can mouse turn accurately - which made Aran etc much faster and hence, easier...

Ya I'm a clicker too... I want to learn to stop, but its sooo easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Temig View Post
    Obviously it will be a personal preference either way but I'm sure you'll find that once you get used to it using your hotbar as opposed to clicking will increase your overall reaction times.

I've gone through many key setups over time but my current (and thus far, most effective) setup is as follows:

` - intervene
    1 - revenge
    2 - heroic strike
    3 - devastate
    4 - shield block
    5 - taunt
    q - shield slam
    e - thunder clap
    f - sunder armor
    g - stance dance macro

`(~) - 4 are all the most easily accessible number keys while using WASD so you'll want to make use of them for sure. Q, E (and possibly R if you don't mind remapping or unbinding your 'reply' hotkey) are likewise right at your fingertips. If I'm going to use sunder at least 5 times on a fight then it's sure as hell gonna get a keybind as well. F happens to be very accessible and unneeded elsewhere and G, being equally accessible, became my stance dance macro that I just have to hit 3 times to berserker->bers.rage->def. stance.

All in all, though, I can't emphasize enough that it's going to be a personal preference all around as for where you put what. You'll get used to your set up and it will flow naturally with some practice. That being said I wouldn't suggest changing it right before learning a new boss

nice setup i will have to give it a shot.

--
    Last edited by Ariedan; 12-15-2008 at 01:36 AM.

Don't get me wrong I still heroic strike with the keyboard. I simply don't think you can be fast enough on threat gen without doing that at least. I'll also do intercepts with the keyboard due to old pvp habits.

I find high TPS is super easy with spamming heroic on my keyboard while clicking the global cooldowns I require with my mouse. The global cooldown really is the only reason clickers can keep up with keyboarders and I certainly do not advocate clicking, its just hard to change to keyboarding after being used to clicking for 2 years.

I like to have a lot of my most-used skills just above WASD and with my hand on the mouse I can keep it hovered near IE Overpower, Execute, shouts... the right side. It's worked pretty well for me.
    It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down.
    -- Yagyu Munenori

+ Reply to Thread