+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warrior Tier 5 tanking set

Warrior Tier 5 tanking set

Why does it have so much block rating/value? I mean, it's great for PVP and farming, but for raid tanking?
    I noticed that for the T4 pieces with dodge/parry, the T5 equivalent has block rating/value, and vice versa.

Maybe it's just because those pieces that are harder to obtain (Vashj & Kael), are the ones with dodge..

But in the meantime, I'm finding it hard seeing T5 as an upgrade from T4.
    Opinions?

For threat purposes, block value is debatably the best stat for raiding. The only time block value doesn't really hold it's value for survivability purposes is on slow swinging bosses.

As a raid's dps and threat generation scales upward over time, the stress on the main tank to generate better threat increases as well. The best ways of increasing your threat are through block value, making your specials land more often due to +hit and critting your specials. Tier5 helps you do all of this.

I noticed that, in the last two weeks I got the Autoblocker and tier5 legs/shoulder and its really hard someone pulls agro from me now. Previously I got overaggroed in Morogrim and some bosses in Kara and my morale was going down coz of that.

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.
    Panda Cub with a Gnome pet!

bv is also a very efficient mitigation stat on long boss fights.

something that hits you for 4k having 600 blocked is 15% mitigation, that comes on top of your armor mitigation, it helps put you at the same mitigation as bear tanks.

I noticed when I wore high avoidance gear in Kara that I was often threat nerfed. I'm keeping my Moroes trinket and boots of Elusion in bag for when I want higher avoidance, but I've otherwise started to swap out high dodge items for high block rating and block value items. Both "block" stats are good:

As stated, BV adds to your shield slam damage, so I'm starting to think of BV as the warrior +dmg. So, BV is obvious that you want more of it to enhance your shield slams.

but that's not all...

Block Rating is pretty nice also: avoidance is wonderful; but each dungeon has a sort of magic number. For instance, in Karazhan with 500 def, 24% block, 19% parry and 17% dodge I find I'm taking nice steady damage but getting plenty of rage - I can pretty much spam heroic strike -and- shield block at the same time in many fights. But before, I had that flipped around at 25% dodge, 16% parry, and 18% block with about 520 def and I wasn't taking enough damage to get any rage.
    Last edited by thugthedum; 07-19-2007 at 03:25 PM.

sbv definitely helps cushion blows without nerfing rage, all the more reason for its usefulness over avoidance. but balance is always key! and keep multiple sets for different occasions!

something that hits you for 4k having 600 blocked is 15% mitigation, that comes on top of your armor mitigation, it helps put you at the same mitigation as bear tanks.
    It gets back to the idea of being able to take more damage, instead of taking less damage.

I've very happy blizz has gone this route with the T5 gear.

There were some posts about T4 being better on the forums, but this is really not the case. There are many benifits of having a high SBV, one being threat. We all know as Cider has made it well aware Shield slam scales very nicely in the expac. Shield Slam end game is the only way to effectivly scale your threat to keep up with the dps out put as you progress. Also with 3 pieces of T5 and and autoblocker i block 800 points of damage. Thats almost 1/4 of what Lady Vashj hits me for and I dont even wear my T4 helm. All in all I think with out it your TPS would be significantly lower than say a T5 tank, making it harder to for your dps classes to play to their full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Paruhdox View Post
    There were some posts about T4 being better on the forums, but this is really not the case. There are many benifits of having a high SBV, one being threat. We all know as Cider has made it well aware Shield slam scales very nicely in the expac. Shield Slam end game is the only way to effectivly scale your threat to keep up with the dps out put as you progress. Also with 3 pieces of T5 and and autoblocker i block 800 points of damage. Thats almost 1/4 of what Lady Vashj hits me for and I dont even wear my T4 helm. All in all I think with out it your TPS would be significantly lower than say a T5 tank, making it harder to for your dps classes to play to their full potential.
    autoblocker activated? that's exactly why I feel SBV has become the gold standard tanking item now. All gear is gonna come with stam and AC upgrades now. But if I had to choose between some dodge or sbv i'd take the sbv for consistent intake AND higher outake. If you look at the BT raid tanks, they all have lots of SBV/SBR gear that happens to push their avoidance high, but they never seem to stress it and rather push for the ability to "take more damage" and another reason why i feel so many still use styleen's scarab. Gosh I want it =(

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    Gosh I want it =(

QFT

Yeah, I want it too. Badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    autoblocker activated? that's exactly why I feel SBV has become the gold standard tanking item now. All gear is gonna come with stam and AC upgrades now. But if I had to choose between some dodge or sbv i'd take the sbv for consistent intake AND higher outake. If you look at the BT raid tanks, they all have lots of SBV/SBR gear that happens to push their avoidance high, but they never seem to stress it and rather push for the ability to "take more damage" and another reason why i feel so many still use styleen's scarab. Gosh I want it =(
    Lol no not activated... 800 before autoblocker >< and i have 35-36% block chance too.

+ Reply to Thread