Tank damage during Ragnaros 10m (normal)
I was hoping someone could help me finding some answers regarding tank damage during Ragnaros (10m normal). My raid leader asked if it was possible for the healer team to 2-heal this fight, and under normal circumstances I would say yes. However the tank damage during the fight is so abnormally high at times that Iím clueless on how 2 people are supposed to keep both the tanks up. Iím trying to find out if itís the tanks doing something wrong, or the healers, or something done wrong by both teams combined.
The tank team consists out of a warrior and a death knight. They taunt on 3 stacks of the debuff. I have no detailed information on how they use their cooldowns except for AMS when a trap is set off. The warrior always pulls / picks up Ragnaros with the exception of the last phase, as he is tanking the scions. I will provide armory links at the bottom, for both tanks and healers.
Our healer team consists out of 2 holy paladins and a resto druid. We rotate AM on setting off the traps in the first phase, and during the molten seed explosion in the second. Both the paladins are assigned to the tanks with a cross beacon, and the resto druid is assigned to the raid.
While according to several sources phase 1 should be a breeze tank damage-wise Iím puzzled. It takes both paladins to spam the tanks throughout the whole phase while we sometimes have to hold our breath if 1 of us gets knocked back and a heal gets interrupted. During many of the pulls the tanks health drop so FAST itís even impossible to keep them up, this is while spamming Divine Light and making use of as many instant casts as possible (WoG / Shock). Also most of my cooldowns are being used in this phase with the exception of Guardian of the ancients kings; I prefer to save that one for phase 2 during the Molten seed explosions when thereís no AM available (and it helps me keep the tanks up with movement). I also had to resort to using Lay on hands several times even.
When I did this on 25m I don't even remember there being so much tank damage, and that was pre-nerf. However that might also be because of the gear difference of a casual 10m guild and 25m hc guild.
My raid leader uses the addon Death note to check on how people died and 99% of the time this damage comes from normal melee swings, not even from a too high amount of stacks. Iím at a loss since I have no idea to heal better than I do, and the tanks just simply say they donít have a clue on any why regarding the damage they receive. The damage on the tanks causes both paladins to run OOM (which is quite hard for me to be honest because I donít have these issues normally at all).
- I often notice the tanks receiving a lot of damage even after the taunt. I understand they still have the debuff on them at that point but the damage is high enough that just 1 healer and a beacon isnít going to cut it. It ends up with 2 healers spamming that tank, the other tank being on low health eventually because of the spam the other requires. I have no idea how to deal with this anymore.
- Iím not sure if the tanks are using their cooldowns right and how this is shown in the Death note addon (I was planning to install it myself for the next time we get to Ragnaros), but I was a bit amazed when the warrior mentioned he wasnít using any CD at the pull at all while Ragnaros hits him like a big truck so that makes me doubt if they actually use their cdís properly.
- I have no idea on how to deal with this high damage from the melee swings killing them off with 2 healerís fulltime spamming them.
- To mitigate some of the fire damage (the debuff and the traps etc.) I asked if they could use a combination of prismatic elixir with the mastery elixir to see if it would be better. Can anyone validate if this actually helps or if itís better for them to use a stamina flask after all? The raiding guild I healed in previously often had the tanks use that combination when there was a lot of elemental damage involved.
- A lot of the websites dedicated to information about this fight mentions that tanks should be using the Mirror of broken images because of the elemental resistance use effect. Same as with the elixirs; the raiding guild I previously healed in made this trinket a mandatory as it was a BiS for fights with a lot of magic damage and I keep reading how this trinket is awesome for the Ragnaros fight. Both the tanks refuse to get it because Ďit messes up their trinketsí. Thatís the only thing they seem to know during the fight...
- My HPS skyrockets on recount compared to the other 2 healers, also one of the issues when it comes to managing mana. We used to have a major gear difference but with them now getting their Firelands gear that difference has become very minimal. There are attempts where I heal for 5k HPS more, and Iím not talking about AoE healing to cheat meters, but single target healing. Both of the healers sometimes spike 11k but often drop back to below 10k while I keep a steady 14k HPS. Slacking on their part? They are actually Ėworried- what happens if Iím not there to heal because of the big difference in HPS.
So yes, sorry for the long story but Iím puzzled. As we are starting heroic modes today Iím looking for a solution because I can see this becoming even a bigger problem. Iím just not sure where the problem lies; the tanks, the healers, or just me being wrong about it. I come from a hc raiding guild (Fallout, Tarren Mill-EU) and since I decided to raid more casual with my real life friends again I noticed I tend to lose patience very fastÖ So yeah, any help / advice / tip would be dearly appreciated <3
Paladin healer 1 (me):
Paladin healer 2:
Tank damage during Ragnaros 10m (normal)
Sign up for world of logs. Use one of the uploaders (I like the realtime one). A link to logs would help.
Any tank who says a mastery trinket (mirror) "messes up their trinkets" doesn't know his spec well enough. Mastery is a great stat for any tank. For block tanks, it is unbeatable as a stat. For dks and bears, there may be some balance to be had with other stats but it is still near best.
Given that information alone, even without an armory link, my guess is gearing/gemming/reforging/enchanting is an issue on the tanks. I will bet they are chasing item levels instead of optimizing stats. It sounds as if they might even be stam stacking which went out the window with Cata.
For example, for the warrior the wildhammer rep boots are netter than any of the normal mode drops. The crafted are a clear upgrade but not obsidium stompers. The 365 cloak from the rescueing Thrall questline is better than any of the 378 cloaks. The 359 crafted or jumbotron belt are better than the 378 rep, but not the shannox belt.
For the dk, I am less sure about each of those. Generally, two tanking stats (dodge/parry/mastery) is better than one (dodge+hit/exp etc). For a dk, there is some survival value in having some expertise to land more death strikes.