DK Tanking Racials
Hey guys. I quit WoW just after Firelands came out, and have decided to come back into it with a vengence now, and really hammer out a character that I can be proud of; I will be starting afresh, new characters, on a new server. And I'll be playing a DK Tank. I'm not sure what faction yet, but I want my racials to factor into what faction I take, as I want to eventually, either in late-Cata, or early-MoP, get into hardcore raiding with my DK as a serious tank, and I don't want to be wasting money down the line with race changing.
Now I know just how little, overall, race matters, and some people will say "Go with what feels right", but honestly, nothing feels wrong. I could play any race, on either faction and be happy. The DK is a class I played during WotLK and loved it, and tanking has always been something I've loved doing.
Just for reference, my OS DPS spec will be Unholy, just incase people feel thats important.
So, my question is; from a pure raiding, and tanking standpoint alone - what race should my DK be?
For pure tanking:
Tauren More Hp, cast stun
Belf Less HP, instant interupt
Nelf 2% avoidance
Dwarf (additional CD) 10% damage reduction and bleed/poison remove.
If you're refering to Arcane Torrent, it is not a stun, but an AoE interupt. Whilst a stun can be used as an interupt, it is effective on both Melee and Casters and usually takes the affected target out of the fight for a few seconds. Arcane Torrent doesn't do this, as the affected target can still auto-attack and thus is not stunned. I get the point your trying to make.. but it's just slightly inaccurate.
Originally Posted by leethaxor
Thanks for pointing it out. I play a caster so a silence might as well be a stun ;P
Haha, you're welcome. :)
Originally Posted by leethaxor
Anyway, to take into consideration what you said.. I was thinking Tauren, for the base health, mostly for the fact that as a DK Tank, my self-healing is based off my health, and thus a Tauren would get more self-healing and therefore be more effective. The Belf is a great choice also for the AoE Interupt and silence, which can be useful for pulling groups of casters and getting them into a nice concise group. I suppose it comes down to ultility. In regards the Night Elf, yes, the extra Avoidance is nice, but I feel as a DK who focuses more on self-healing rather then the traditional mitigiation stats, that its not -as- nice, whilst I am aware it is still important.
Statistically speaking for a DK wouldn't the racials which add Hit or Expertise actually be valued as "tanking" benefits. Unlike other tanking classes, a DK is reliant on actually being able to connect with Death Strike as part of how they tank.
If I were to rate them...
+Small Effective Health Bonus
The active cooldowns such as Arcane Torrent, Warstomp, Every Man for Himself, and so on needs to be considered on a situational basis. The actual value of these can't really be measured because in encounter design none of them should actually be required. One of these racials may be great in 10% of scenarios but worthless in the other 90% of scenarios. You can't predict how useful these abilities will be in the future, you can only determine how useful they are today. So I would favor looking at the passive bonuses which will always benefit you.
Night Elf it pretty much undisputably the strongest over all. Even before calculating deminishing returns, 2% avoidance requires more secondary stat points than 1% hit and 3 expertise combined.
All that aside though, you should just play whatever you want to. Unless you're in bleeding edge progression you don't really need to worry about min maxing even racials to that extreme.
Goblin. Mobilty pawns all, and the haste is your best threat stat.
Haste = Faster Rune Recharge, also makes your DPS specs better, since Haste is a DKs best stat currently.
Originally Posted by Tengenstein
Thing is you are so concerned about racials, that by the time MoP comes out they could get revamped yet again.
I personally don't look at the racials when I make a character, I pick the race that I like. Which for the time being on Horde is Blood Elves and Goblins. For Alliance its Draenei, Night Elves, and Worgen.
The 2% avoidance on a nelf is a beautiful thing, but Goblins got it locked with the haste bonus and rocket jump. Their other racials aren't so bad either. Mobile personal bank and cheaper repairs can be very helpful.