While at Blizzcon 2011, I got first hand experience of the current alpha build of both the Pandaren starting area as well as the Monk class. For this particular post I will focus mainly on the monk (brewmaster) mechanics and theory crafting more so than I will the pandaren (but I will touch on them breifly in a few moments). -Drunkenidiot
The monk is a melee fighter that specializes in the use of Staves (healer- Mistreaver), Polearms (tank- Brewmaster), and Fist weapons (damage- Windwalker). The monk can also use one handed weapons such as swords, maces and axes. Although with the level 1-10 experience I got to play the class mechanics seem to focus more heavily on fist weapons.
Monks have several resources to manage in combat;
- Energy (main resource)- Functions like energy for a rogue or feral druid in the fact that it regenerates at a constant rate (*speculation* -will possibly be effected by haste to regenerate faster). This resource is used for most builder spells and has a cap of 100.
Monk tanking (gear, stats priority, professions, racial bonuses)
- Chi-Chi functions like Holy Power (Paladin). Chi is built up by spending Energy using the ability [Jab].
- Gear- The monk class uses Agility Leathergear for tanking and tank with a polearm. There is no ranged slotitem for a monk (because the ranged slot is being removed in 5.0)Monk tanks will share gear with Guardians (druid tanks).
- Stat Priority- This section is all theory at this points but as a general idea the stat priority would be similar to that of a Guardian Druid.
Stamina > Agility > Mastery > Dodge/Parry > Hit/Expertise > Haste > Crit
- Professions- Every profession has some kind of bonusto encourage people to take them.
Profession Bonus What is means Alchemy Flasks last longer and potions are stronger Stronger armor/ health potions Blacksmithing Extra socket on bracers and gloves Extra stats on bracers and gloves Enchanting Ability to enchant base stats on rings Enchanted rings Engineering Tinkers for armor buff/ damage reduction (can backfire) Medium risk for higher stats Herbalism Heal over time ability that increases haste Extra self heal Inscription Shoulder enchant Better stats on shoulders Jewelcrafting Three (3) jewelcrafting gems Equals about two (2) extra gems Leatherworking Bracer and leg enchants stats on bracers and legs Mining Stamina increase Extra health Skinning Critical Strike bonus *not good for tanking* Tailoring Leg and cloak enchants leg stats, cloak proc (tho most likely not a tank one)
As details for the upcoming expansion are released, I will be updating this post with information about the Brewmaster class and its abilities and the new talent tree and what the ability functionality for tanking is.
- Racial Bonuses- Every race in the World of Warcraft can be a monk, with the exception of Worgen, and Goblin.
- Draenei- Racial heal ability, and increased hit rating.
- Dwarf- Armor buff that removes DoTs.
- Gnome - Can remove snares.
- Human - PvP trinket.
- Night Elf- Chance to not be hit.
- Blood Elf- AoE silence that regenerates Chi.
- Forsaken (undead)- Can remove sleeps and fears.
- Orc- Attack Power boost.
- Tauren- Increase to base health, AoE stun.
- Troll- Increased attack speed buff.
- Pandaren- Double effect from food buffs.