I have a couple of questions: (10m N)
1. Can a shadow priest with the Glyph of Dispersion can Soak entirely First crystal and be ready to entirely soak third?
2. What other classes can entirely soak the crystals?
3. When do tanks need to taunt of each other?
On to the second part of the question, can they take the third shard? No. That's because if they end the first shard the Tormented debuff won't be off them at the start of the third shard. When you end a shard there needs to be about one and a half shards before you start again in order for your Tormented to fall off. If you use a Shadow Priest to solo one then you'd still have two teams of two DPS to fill the shards between.
Team A, Two DPS
Team B, Two DPS
Your rotation would look like that and your shadow priest wouldn't be tanking the third shard but rather every third shard which is 1, 4, 7, 10 and so on.
Here is a little side by side comparison for you... we'll assume in both cases the Mirror of Broken Images trinket was used to get into the higher stacks so won't include that in the stack.
Resist Buff (-20%) + Shadow Form (-15%) + Dispersion (-90%) = 93.2% Reduction
Aura Mastery Resist Buff (-35%) + Defensive Stance (-10%) + Glyphed Shield Wall (-60%) + Pain Suppression (-40%) + Power Word: Barrier (-25%) + Divine Guardian (-20%) + Spirit Link (-10%) + = 92.4184% Reduced Damage
Shadow Priest Wins
1. Yes, if glyphed they CAN soak the 1st and 3rd crystal (its off CD, if not glyphed it wont be off CD til the 4th). This is not very practical w/o a CD to get them to 19 stacks. I disperse the first one at 19 and take the entire thing, then disperse at 13 on the 3rd and take it to 18 and switch with someone. I am just off the torment debuff to take the 3rd crystal btw.
2. The only other class we've tried successfully to soak crystal was a DK with AMS/IF/Pain suppression/Barrier... and it was still tough. Only did this when I was forced to heal.
3. Absolutely no reason to 2 tank this fight if you disperse the first crystal, we have 2 healers close to 100 stacks by the time its done, that makes handling the dec blades no issue with 1 tank. In theory, the 2nd tank would tank off only for decimation blade (he also takes the first few hits to get enough HP to not get 1 shot)
For us, the enrage timer is a push-over, and 2-tanking pretty much negates Decimation Blade as a mechanic. As long as our DPS were reliably 19k+, the encounter felt MUCH more controlled/stable after we started 2-tanking.
Your healers may have "no issue" but not sure that will be a common experience. Our healers are quite capable and have carried us as far as Baleroc with very few issues, and we would still often lose a tank to an unlucky Decimation Blade sequence even w/ Dodge cooldowns & 100+ stacks rolling. Once we started 2-tanking, we never had a tank death again.
I have a couple of questions. We're a super small 10-man raiding guild that really doesn't raid more than 2-3 times a month and got to Baleroc for the first time last night. We typically have warrior+druid tanks and druidx2 with a shadow priest that can go disc heals when we want/need a 3rd healer. So far the other druid and I have 2-healed Shannox and Rhyolith while using the priest on Beth to go up top so we're not finding the post-nerf content that difficult. My questions are:
1) Once the Vital Flame wears off and I get my stack of Vital Sparks back, does it trigger the Vital Flame buff again if you keep healing the tank or do I have to build some more stacks before it will trigger again? (I'm not asking if I *should* build more stacks, I'm asking if it is necessary to the mechanic.)
2) If the Vital Flame/Vital Spark buff works the way I think and assuming we're good enough heals, (since the content has been nerfed) do you think it would be plausible to 1-tank 2-heal this fight?
Now that I've read through the mechanic I think I can build my stacks up quite high (80-90) on the very first shard and just never switch (or not switch till towards the end of the fight when the other druid should have a very large stack). With 2 extra dps (they all pull 18-25K reliably) and Timewarp do you think this would be enough to kill the boss before the healing gets to be too much for two healers? After reading this thread through, I believe we can use a shadow priest to take the whole first shard while I build my stacks and then go into a normal 2-person shard rotation. We weren't really having any trouble with the dps rotation but we were finding the constant heal rotation to not be that successful. Part of this I know is us healers not understanding the Spark/Flame mechanic quite right and some of it was making the boss harder by only using one tank. We will likely get our kill by using a standard 2-tank 3-heal rotation but our group likes to try different things I'm wondering if the way I described sounds viable post-nerf.
1. Provided you have at least one stack of Vital Spark, the Vital Flame buff is triggered and renewed by any direct heal cast on a target that has the Blaze of Glory buff. So to answer your question, no. You can heal the tank whenever you want and it will trigger Vital Flame so long as the other criteria is met.
2. In its current nerfed form, yes. However, the key to single tanking being viable at all is the ability to heal the tank over 90% of their health in the time between the Decimating Strikes (5 seconds post nerf). In the same regard however with the significant nerf to his health this fight is no longer the DPS race it once was. You only require 87,682 DPS in order to beat the berserk timer. It is considerably easier to heal a second tank with significantly smaller health pool between the Decimating Strikes.
I think you may be attempting to over trivialize the encounter for a group that has never done it before. You aren't a group pushing heroic mode so why are you overcompensating for more DPS when additional DPS isn't required. Two healing and/or single tanking is something you may work your way into but not something I'd really expect to see as a starting point.
Does any one know how long each crystal last on 10-man heroic? Just trying to figure out how to manage mana for the first crystal as a holy pally and still get a lot of stacks. Thanks for the help.
I think its still around 25-30 stacks...leaning towards 30