All classes should be changed to hybrids (and how to do it)
When WoW was launched six years ago they had hybrid and non-hybrid classes which worked (more or less) well with the 40 man raid design back then. But there were a lot of changes since then and I think the non-hybrid classes don’t really fit into the game as good as every class should.
They’ve added dual-spec, removed the hybrid tax and made hybrids very inefficient when they don’t do what they are specced for. (Back in vanilla I’ve used to tank UBRS on my resto druid with (of course) blue tank gear. I doubt you could tank even a non-heroic with a resto specced druid in a PuG.) This changed the hybrids into “role changer”.
Now in Cataclysm we see the problem caused by the single role classes. There is the 45 minute LFD wait time. If you’re a “role changer” you can either change your role to the more sparse role and get an instant invite. Or you’ll accept the 45 minute wait time and play the role you like. And you can do that every time you sign up for LFD. Some role changer take advantage of that, luckily. Otherwise the queue would be even longer. I don’t have a problem with a kitty who stands in line to play what she wants. Not at all. But sometimes, when I’m short on time, I’d prefer to be able to cut the corner with my warlock. Of course I could reroll or play an alt but to gear up my warlock or collect reputation for my warlock, I’ll have to stand in line. I think the wait time could be reduced substantially if all classes were role changer which would improve the game experience of everyone who uses the LFD.
The other problem emerged from “shared raid ID” change together with the “10 man drop the same loot” change. I think there was a shift from 25 man raids to 10 man raids, at least that’s what I see on my server. Which is fine, if that’s what the player base prefers, that should be what the player base gets.
A 10 man raid cannot have a bench of the same size as a 40 or 25 man raid or you’ll have to sit out most of the time. But you still have to cover all the roles. Again, role changers are very convenient in a 10 man raid. Especially since you can gear up the off-spec of a role changer while raiding. In a 10 man raid with one of every class you would have 4 single role DD, 2 tanks/DD, 3 healer/DD and 1 DD/other. With two or three role change replacements you should be able to shuffle it around as you need it.
That is, of course, not talking about hardcore raids. But the majority of the player base, the non-hardcore raids where less than 100% attendance is the norm. The 5/3/2 distribution of 10 man raids even puts a hard cap on the single role classes of 5 which isn’t really in line with the “bring the player” mantra, methinks. It gets even worse if you have more single role classes on the bench because you have to also add role changer to the bench, increasing the rotation pool.
This problem wasn’t an issue during WotLK because everyone used to know someone from a 25 man raid who could replace the missing player in a 10 man raid, 10 mans therefore didn’t need a bench back then. That’s no longer possible with the shared raid ID.
And if every class would be a role changer Blizzard could add more interesting encounters. Imagine Valithria where Blizzard could assume that 6 out of 10 people would be able to role change to healing.
Actually, I think someone at Blizzard had the idea that warlocks should be able to role change to tanking during the development of WotLK. Unfortunately that didn’t go through, probably because of the introduction of the DK. I hope they take another look at it and implement it in the upcoming 2013 expansion.
Here is why:
- Metamorphosis increases your armor contribution from items by 600% and reduces the chance you'll be critically hit by melee attacks by 6%. That’s basically the same talent druids had for WotLK and now every tank spec has the crit reduction talent. And it affects only melee critical hits, as spell critical hits don’t exist in PvE.
- There was a taunt in meta form, which was removed for Cataclysm. Still, it was a taunt for a single role DD class. Doesn’t make sense if they didn’t play with the idea of letting warlocks tank.
- In meta form you had “Shadow Cleave”. Inflicts weapon damage plus 15 to an enemy and its nearest allies, affecting up to 3 targets. Sounds like some kind of tanking spell.
- Meta has a charge.
- In the WotLK zone presentation media event video (at 0:55) you’ll see the warlock class mount and the rider is wearing a shield. Looks like at one point they might have played with the idea to let warlocks wear shields. That would only make sence for a tank. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5cxfm_wrath-of-the-lich-king-media-event_videogames
- The warlock self heal talents would be in line with todays concept of self healing tanks.
- Meta could increase armor and reduce critically hit chance permanently and only change visual when active (e.g. for 50% damage reduction or something)
- Firestone could come back! :)
- Shadowflame for snap AE aggro.
- Soul Link could be used for damage reduction. Could redirected to damage to the nether with Voidwalker with talents or something.
- The warlock already has a Sta talent.
- Warlock could be some kind of “disease tank” with instant immolate and corruption, like DK.
- Pala could again be changed to a Spellpower tank with shared SP tank swords to distinguish from warrior.
- Mastery on cloth gear can be used as tank stat.
- Crit chance on gear could be used to have some defensive effect, like with druids.
- Neck/ring/trinkets could be shared with tank classes.
- Warlock could be allowed to wear the hybrid range thing (relicts) for tank items.
Like a lot of people I loved the dual wield frost tank play style of the DK. This “tanking ninja” was about the coolest class Blizzard ever designed, in my eyes.
- They could bring back “DW ninja tanking” by giving a tank tree to the rogue. This could make people happy who don’t like the new blood tank DK style.
- Druids tank with leather, gear is already shared with bears. No additional itemization would be required.
- Frost DW DK tank was basically a rogue with its resource lockouts and mainly a single energy type (FU pairs). Should be easy to adjust this to energy.
- FoK would replace Howling Blast.
- Rogues already has tank utility like disarm or interrupts.
- Rogues already can wear tank guns.
- They already have cool cooldowns like “Cloak of Shadows” and “Evasion”.
- Having a stealth tank would be cool.
- A “life drain poison”, like Hadronox, could be used for the tank self healing. Scaling with vengeance would prevent PvP abusage.
- The concept of a “White Mage” for a healer already exists.
- Cloth healing gear is already available.
- Mages could get more interesting rotations because arcane spells could be woven into the elemental specs. More spells per damage spec, more fun.
- Arcane goodies could be split between frost and fire or be used in the heal spec like disc and arcane become the heal tree.
- Hunters already have a tight connection to nature and its beasts. It would be a nature character which could use power of nature to heal. He already heals his pet.
- “Healing” pets could be introduced. Pet class(es) that do little damage or no damage at all but have positive effects on healing or damage taken. Hunters love new pets.
- Blizzard should be able to make “speccing heal” also replace focus with mana.
- Healing mail is used by shamans, no additional loot required.
- Give access to hybrid range thing (relic) for heal range item.
Re: All classes should be changed to hybrids (and how to do it)
It would certainly mean a lot of pissed off real DPS'ers when a ton of tanks are rolling on DPS gear...
Originally Posted by Kojiyama