What to aim for when customizing your UI
I made this guide some time ago in our guild private forum, but now i decided to make it public, so it could be usefull for more people. :)
I want to share my point of view about what should you aim when customizing the UI. The idea is not to make your UI look cool, but more useful.
My goal is to help people improve raid performance by not missing important things. I will try to accomplish this all by giving good or bad examples, and also addons that could help you while in raids. This doesn't mean that shown UIs are perfect!
The problems I want ot address are:
1. Not seeing important things that happen around, like rockets, mines, fissures.
2. Not seeing raid/boss mods messages, alerts or timers.
3. Taking agro and continuing to damage, even after your target is hitting/chasing you.
4. Killing mobs earlier that it should - like adds that have to die together or at some place/time.
5. Not seeing important buffs/debuffs on you or someone else that you have to save.
1. Seeing the Environment
First lets see what we can do, so we see those damn rockets/fissures/mines/walls..
- Clean the area around your character. Lets see example:
- Get rid of all spam messages such as - Ability is not ready, You don't have enough rage/mana/power, and so on. Keep just important ones. This way you could actually get some info from them as that you are out of mele range for 30 seconds now! Also you could see more clearly the raid leader/boss mods alerts.
- Clean all not needed combat texts, alerts and abilities from the middle of the screen. There is no use to know all heals/hots, strikes and crap messages you get, or those big pew pew numbers that distract you from seeing that the rocket is going to hit you, or fissure is under your legs.
- Make sure to clear enough around your character, to be able to see a fissure, rocket incoming from the sky, clouds form left/right and so on.
The point is to clear everything from the middle and put only the most important things where your eyes look at most - middle.
TIP: On all fights except Yogg-Saron and Grobbulus you can lower particle effects. This is almost a must for meleers - DKs and palas aoe disappears, also the big bam bam sparks from ranged casters.
Particle effects wont hide important things such as fissures/walls/rockets marks and everything that is telling you that you have to move away.
WARINING: Make sure that Projected Texture is always on, or you will disable important things such as fissures/walls/rockets marks.
Some bad examples here, no offense : )
2. Health bars, target and cast bars
- Your health bar - Seen a dps suiciding in OS3D on second drake? Or DPS pala using a balloon or healing himself in time? (except when Rahh was playing)
You always should be able to see this information, so put it somewhere in the middle and make it big enough.
- Your target - have this big enought, so you dont kill something that should die later on some event. Also you can watch the DBM Boss/Adds Bars in situations where those have to die together.
- Your target cast bar - in 25 man raids where all classes have some kind of disturb we still get aoed in P1 of Yogg-Saron. Put it where you can see it and make it big enough, so you can react fast.
- Target of a target (ToT) - i cant believe that some people steal agro without noticing it. First you have ORA that makes you screen flashing red (even now default UI has it), second if you see yourself in ToT for more than 2 seconds, you fail. Its unbelievable to steal agro again after the tank have taunted of you.
- Target buffs - oneshoted from the golems in Ulduar? You fail to see he is buffed and tank is away from it. Seen off tank not picking the boss in time? Yes i do!
The top left of the screen, as is the default HP/energy bar, is not the best place to check are you going to die. Its not also the best place for your target, as you wont notice fast enough when your enemy is casting.
Also, omen is not outdated! Make sure to have that, or some similar addon. We still have agro stealers in our raids..