Improving my threat (frost tank)
After tanking with my warrior for a while, I decided to start tanking with my DK instead. My sustained tps is slowly increasing, but it's not nearly where I need it to be (I could easily do 6k sustained tps on my warrior, and my DK is still bellow 5k).
Last weekend I PuGed naxx25, just so I could get a wws report on Patchwerk and do some analysis. Looking at my wws report, I came to a few conclussions (some of them I already suspected) but I was hoping the more experienced DKs could give me some advice, especially on my usage of abilities.
Instead of an actual rotation, I try to use some kind of priority/selection system:
- Keep frost fever and blood plague up
- Use OB when I have UF runes available, using death runes when available
- Use BS only when I have a blood rune available, to turn it into a death rune
- Macro RS to my skills
- Use FS when I have more than 50 RP (a bit more if I need to save RP for mind freeze or something)
Based on the wws and threat reports, here's some of the stuff I think I need to change:
- I should make better use of Rime procs. In wws I can see it procced 10 times, but I only used HB 6 times. With glyphed HB, this would also help cut down on ITs.
- I should make better use of Killing Machine procs. I haven't been paying attention for these procs, so odds are I could be wasting them on IT. It seems like FB is the best way to use a KM proc.
- My RS rate seems kind of low (32 Rune Strikes and 49 normal swings). I currently have RS macroed into IT, OB, BS and FS, not sure what else to do here, or if this is normal given my current avoidance.
- I don't use blood tap enough. I'm thinking about using it for my opener, and also when I have 3 or 4 of my UF runes on CD.
One big problem seems to be initial threat. With my warrior I had the perfect high-threat opener with shield slam, but on my DK if I start with IT and PS, I have pretty low threat during those 2 first GCDs. I need to experiment with new opening rotations, like HB->PS->(rune tap)->OB->BS.
As a reference, here are the links to my armory, wws report, and tps report:
The World of Warcraft Armory
Wow Web Stats
Benlinus produced 4386 tps vs Patchwerk
Is there anything else I might be doing wrong or overlooking? Any advice will be greatly apreciated.