Frequently Asked Questions
What's the expertise cap?
There are actually two: The point at which you remove dodge from the mob's combat table, which we call the soft cap, and the point at which you remove parry from the mob's combat table, which we call the hard cap. The caps vary with the mob's level.
- For level 83 (raid bosses) the soft cap is 6.5% dodge or 26 expertise (214 rating), and the hard cap is 14% parry or 56 expertise (460 rating)
(The 14% figure comes from Elitist Jerks based on WLK specific testing. If anyone can show me proof (WWS, screenshot, etc.) of them getting parried by a boss at 56 expertise, I'll gladly change that up.)
- For level 82 and below (heroic bosses and trash) the dodge and parry caps are the same. You won't need more than about 24 expertise.
How do I figure this out when I take my expertise talents into account?
Those usually give you expertise skill straight up. You're better off looking at the expertise skill stat and not worrying about adding up expertise rating.
What's the hit cap?
Wait, isn't the hit cap 9%?
- For yellow damage attacks, 8% (262 hit rating at 80)
- For shield and 2h users, the white damage cap is also 8%.
- For dual wielders it's at most 27% (886 hit rating at 80), but the amount of rating needed varies based on talents, glyphs, and the like. Look here: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f177/...-question.html.
- For spells, the cap is 17% (446 rating at 80), but the amount of rating actually needed may depend on talents, glyphs, and the like.
It used to be, yes. Research at Elitist Jerks has confirmed that the hit cap has changed to 8%