Death Knight Tanking: Stats
It's a little early yet to start preparing this, but I want to anyway. I'll go back and revise as talents and what not change. What good is it filling in my own sheets when I could be sharing this with other future DK tanks so we can work together and not simply all repeat the same math for ourselves.
Death Knight tanks have the following tools/criteria.
Typical shields at level 80 add about 50% to the plate wearer's total armor without buffs, talents, or skills, so the Frost Presence gives a slight equalizer in that regard (though not quite as much mitigation with the loss of shield block).
- Plate Armor
- No Shield
- Weapon dependency (as opposed to druids who simply get stats there)
- Dodge/Parry, no block (duh)
- Frost Presence (+60% armor, +10% health, -5% magic damage, +45% threat)
Base Stat Buffs and Values:
Since this is for tanking purposes, I'll just post things with assumed Frost Presence, and add Blood/Unholy Presences as possible alterations with talents and the like.
*Parry, Dodge, and Miss chance from these stats is now subject to diminishing returns. I'm still wrapping my head around the numbers, but I'll post when I've reduced it to an easy plug-and-go formula for DK's.
- 25% of Str => Parry Rating
- 1 Str = 2 AP
- X Agi = Dodge %*
- 1 Agi = ~2 armor
- 62.5 Agi = 1% Crit
- Defense Rating
- 4.98 Def Rating = 1 Defense
- Defense Rating = Dodge %* = Parry %* = Miss %*
- Parry/Dodge Rating
- X Parry Rating = Parry %*
- X Dodge Rating = Dodge %*
- Expertise Rating
- 32.79 Expertise Rating = -1% Dodge/Parry
- Spell Resistance
- Hit Rating
- 32.79 Hit Rating = -1% Miss
- Crit Rating
- 45.91 Crit Rating = 1% Crit
- Haste Rating
- 32.79 Haste Rating = 1% Haste
- Armor Pen Rating
- 15.40 Arm Pen Rating = 1% Armor Reduction
The last ratings that are marked in italics are threat buffing only, and for all intents and purposes may or may not show up at all on your tanking gear, but it's worth discussing for certain items that may crop up.
These numbers will be editted as they change, and I'll reserve a couple replies below this one for additional calculations on relative stat weights and the effects of various talents, spells, and skills on those stats.