Warrior Threat Simulator - Source Available
Feb 27, 2009 Update I am abandoning this project, there will be no further updates to it made by me. The reasons are:
- I'm unhappy with my implementation of talents, and with the current rapid changes going on from patch to patch, it is too difficult to maintain accurate numbers along with developing new features
- Acceptance to a new guild increasing my in-game time.
- Real life work been busier than it was when I started this.
All of that being said, while I am stopping work on this project, I am currently in the design phase of a new project which solves my first problem listed above (the major reason for my halting development on this). I don't want to into too much detail at this time, but the new project will support more classes than the warrior and will support more roles than just tanking. I hope to have something up for initial evaluation by the community in the next few weeks.
For now, I am attaching source code for what is as close to the current compiled version being distributed of this threat sim. In the near future I will also attach the source for my latest development version which is highly broken, but it will allow anyone who wishes to continue with this project or see where I was going to get a leg up.
Thanks for all the positive feedback on this... and now on to our regularly schedule program.
Ok, after all the discussion about this talent being better than that talent, and trying to decide what's the best way to go, and feeling like static spreadsheets are woefully inadequate, I spent my evening writing up a threat simulator.
The current build is likely buggy but I'm happier with the math it is spitting out. All of the threat numbers should be reported in the combat log for anyone to verify what is going on.
Here are a few things I'm presently concerned about:
- I ignored flat damage bonuses available through imp disarm and imp defensive stance (via enrage) talents, I can add these later as necessary
- I've tried to emulate the combat table as best as I can. I've left out incoming crits no matter what your avoidance stats are based on the fact that as tanks we will all aim for crit immunity.
Update 1: I've fixed a lot of the major bugs and the numbers the simulator is spitting out are much more reasonable now. Basically at this point I need someone else to take a look at the math it's doing and make sure it's valid. The two biggest items to be aware of - when a mob blocks it is absorbing the full damage, I can't recall if this is how things work on live/beta or what the deal is, so this needs to be adjusted. Also, there is no sanity checking on the input boxes - if you type random words in and your computer explodes, please don't blame me.
Update 2: Threat was being generated on slam/revenge dodge and parries, this has been fixed. Thanks to Mefear for this one.
Update 3: Thunderclap is now available. I think I have now covered all of the essential threat generation abilities. The current priority order is to Shield Slam, Thunderclap (if you've enabled it), Revenge, then Devastate. I'm pretty happy with where this little app is at right now and without any comments or feedback I'm not going to do much more with it, so play around if you like, or... don't. :P
Update 4: Reposted to Theory & Articles for public consumption
- error in the combat table fixed, crits should happen at appropriate intervals now
- special attacks only use 1/5th rage when they miss, are dodged or parried (apart from Thunderclap which will always use full rage)
- ALL special abilites when they miss or are dodged/parried no longer generate threat (only fixed one of them when I found this bug before, doh)
- mob block % has always been modifiable via interface - I've added mob block value and set it to 54 as default
- damage reduction from mob armor has changed to always be applied last after all other modifiers
- rage "c" value modified to 320.67
- damage shield logging is clearer now to indicate crits vs regular hits
Further replies below
Update 6 (Build 188.8.131.52)
- quick fix to solve the crash, I'm implementing the parry system and will release that shortly
Update 7 (Build 184.108.40.206)
- Crash should actually be fixed now
- Implemented parry hasting per the math provided by talisfears
- have started the conversion from text boxes to number boxes to make input a little more sane
Update 8 (Build 220.127.116.11)
- all input boxes are properly constrained, time for me to let this sit for awhile until I get more feedback
I've managed to just attach the .exe this time so the download isn't as big and it fits right on the forum. If it doesn't work for you, make sure you've got the .Net framework. Version 3.5 is available here:
Download details: .NET Framework 3.5
Would love to get some feedback, thanks!
Source for version close to 18.104.22.168 : Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire