PDA

View Full Version : Tanking CTC Spreadsheets for Paladins and Warriors

Fetzie
01-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Due to the amount of people asking about CTC and how much they have/need, I have created two spreadsheets, one for Paladins and one for Warriors.

Warrior:

Paladin:

Instructions:

Enter your UNBUFFED Parry, Dodge and Mastery rating amounts into the cells provided. Also enter your unbuffed strength amount into the space provided.

Choose your character's race. In the Warrior spreadsheet you also need to specify a faction due to the way that Excel handles long embedded functions. This is important because each race has a different amount of base strength, which alters the amount of strength that counts towards Parry rating.

Set which buffs you wish to have applied (Mastery elixir, Mastery food, Dodge Food, Blessing of Kings, Battle Shout).

The spreadsheet will then display your CTC with the buffs active. It will also display how much block chance you have too much and mastery rating too much.

You can also add a custom amount of dodge, parry or mastery rating and miss chance in the area at the bottom.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to post them in this thread.

Takethecake
02-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Very nice! Thanks a ton... and just for feedback the numbers match exactly what I got last night fully buffed.

Fetzie
02-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Very nice! Thanks a ton... and just for feedback the numbers match exactly what I got last night fully buffed.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Good to know it works for you.

Tengenstein
02-01-2012, 05:05 PM
fully buffed as a goblin warrior the numbers matxch, unbuffed the CTC is 0.1% lower than the character pane in came returns

Airowird
02-02-2012, 01:15 AM
fully buffed as a goblin warrior the numbers matxch, unbuffed the CTC is 0.1% lower than the character pane in came returnsI'm assuming this is because of rounding. The character pane shows all chances separately rounded, which you than add up, while the spreadsheet uses the exact float values untill the total CTC is calculated, then rounds it.

PS: I believe you may wish to round DOWN the 4unhittability'/CTC number on the front page, because currently it will tell you that 102.395% will give you Unhittable. Also, when I open the spreadsheet in OpenOffice.org, the file opens up in the second tab at the Miss Chance number (cell Calculations.B10). I assume this is because you had this cell selected when you saved the spreadsheet, might wonna save it with the front page selected next time ;)

Fetzie
02-02-2012, 05:55 AM
Added the rounding down, changed a couple of racial base strength values that were off (4 strength is not going to make a difference to the end result, but things are nicer when they are more accurate :) ). Versions 1.2 uploaded and saved to a cell on the first page.

Tengenstein
02-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Ok i'm confused, does that mean even though i'm sitting at 102.4 on my character pane there's still up to a p[oint 0.005 the bboss can touch my face?

Airowird
02-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Ok i'm confused, does that mean even though i'm sitting at 102.4 on my character pane there's still up to a p[oint 0.005 the bboss can touch my face?Actually, if you are using CTC=Dodge+Parry+Block, you'll have an error of up to 0.015% which is at most one in >6.6k swings. (That's an average of one swing not blocked in an entire raid evening, assuming 2s effective boss swing and a total duration of 3h42min tanking bosses)

The spreadsheet however should now tell you exactly when you capped the combat table using the game's internal accuracy.

Fetzie
02-03-2012, 07:07 AM
Mistyped the parry and dodge caps (doesn't mean jack wrt to the actual result, all the changes made are in the fourth-fifth decimal point). Is fixed now.

Fetzie
02-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Firstly, use the most recent version (1.2). The first version had a few issues that I had to polish out. I won't support old versions.

I'm looking into the strength thing

Stübbs
02-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Amazing tool! After working out a couple of glitches in my math, I'm .01% lower on the Character Pane than on the spreadsheet. I'm sure it has to do with rounding. Thanks!

Cimegs5088
02-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Does the spreadsheet factor in diminishing return tho?

Tengenstein
02-08-2012, 02:43 AM
Yes.

Fetzie
02-08-2012, 03:12 AM
Does the spreadsheet factor in diminishing return tho?

That is the whole idea :)

Cimegs5088
02-13-2012, 04:22 AM
I'm curious because the result shown through the spreadsheet is similar to the one shown on my character panel, where it says "before diminishing return"when mouse over the figures.

/shrug

perhaps somebody could help me out here? my alt is Ragescar - Blackrock US.

Tengenstein
02-13-2012, 05:56 AM
It is my understanding that the figure in the character panel is your actual avoidance after diminishing returns, and the figure mentioned in the mouse over is the amount of avoidance from ratings before diminishing returns.

Fetzie
02-13-2012, 07:25 AM
This is the character pane display for dodge chance on my Paladin:
Click on the image to make it bigger.

The undiminished dodge chance is on the far right. It is 13.39%.
The diminished dodge chance is on the upper left. It is 16.54%.

The reason the diminished dodge chance is higher, is because it includes the 5% base dodge chance that every paladin has, which is added in last. It is added in last because that 5% does not diminish. Thus the actual value for my dodge chance from rating is 16.54-5.00 = 11.54%

Did this help?

f_bman
02-15-2012, 02:01 AM
I really like it a lot. But I would want something like this for my lower level tanks, were could I get some info about the constants and stuf for this? I assume this is only for level 85 warriors, as it says on page "calculations".

Fetzie
02-15-2012, 07:20 AM
You would need to go to EJ, find out the constants and stats per percentage values and possibly any old formulae that change for low-level characters.

f_bman
02-15-2012, 02:41 PM
ej - with that you mean elitist jerks? and old formulae... and hope that nothing changed during the patches. sounds like hard work indeed. I just might save it for a rainy day...

I will see what I can find, maybe it's easy. Thanks for the push in right direction.

Fetzie
02-15-2012, 08:30 PM
I would venture an opinion that it isn't really a very useful exercise, as you cannot benefit from mastery sub level 80 (i.e. your block chance remains static until then) and thus would not be able to reach anything close to full CTC anyway. Unless you want to learn how to use excel spreadsheets and learn about the maths that goes on in the background when you are playing WoW of course.

http://elitistjerks.com/f15/t29453-combat_ratings_level_85_cataclysm/

is the thread you will be needing.

DarkSTK
03-14-2012, 01:56 AM
If your over cap as a warrior would you still want a little more mastery because of the crit block? As well as stam because it would not be wasted stat since having a 60% block is better the a flat 30% block? or just go stam?

Fetzie
03-14-2012, 02:52 AM
I think most Warriors are just going the 102.4% --> stamina route. The thing with Paladins is, as soon as you hit 102.4%, mastery becomes worth less than spirit.

Airowird
03-14-2012, 04:56 AM
Mastery post passive cap is worth about the same as Strength.

DarkSTK
03-20-2012, 05:24 AM
Mastery post passive cap is worth about the same as Strength.

Ok thank's for helping me out with that... Strength though? Strength hardly does anything though, thought it would be more on par with say.. Hit? XD

Fetzie
03-20-2012, 05:34 AM
1 Strength (base strength is excluded) = 0.27 parry rating for warriors, paladins and death knights.

I have about 4300 strength unbuffed, which is about 1100 Parry Rating.

Krow
05-30-2012, 12:19 PM
I am new to all this tanking..but very keen to learn more. I added my unbuffed information into your spreadsheet. " dodge 2249, parry 2493, mastery 2695, strenght 3692"...my total avoidance & block is 94.93. So the results ask the following: Block to go -7.47 and Mastery to go -595 rating.

Very confused as I just purchased the trinket Fire of the Deep with 458 mastery rating. Yes as I am new..I feel rather stupid not understanding this...As I explain to my children "Life is a learning curve and you are never to old to learn"..thank you.
Krow.:cool:

Fetzie
05-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Which class are you, and which spreadsheet are you using?

The negative value is because you are under the block cap, and would need 595 mastery rating to reach full CTC.

Krow
05-30-2012, 12:42 PM
I am using Paladin spreadsheet V 1.2 xls. My class is Paladin Blood Elf..thank you.

Fetzie
05-30-2012, 12:47 PM
If you want some help reaching full CTC, feel free to make a thread in the appropriate forum (HALP! I need advice!). This thread is for discussing the spreadsheets :)

Remember to set the raid buffs you have available, the drop-down boxes have a list of the most common buffs. If you set blessing of kings, mastery food and battle shout to "yes", you only need another 441 mastery rating to cap your Combat Table Coverage (explained in the guide linked in my signature).

Krow
05-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Ok..so I need to find another 595 mastery from new gear I guess. Sad point for me was I had to replace my item lvl 365 trinket with +510 stamina with the item lvl 393 458 mastery rating trinket....Not sure if that is a good trade off...kinda like stamina for survivability. Again thank you for your help Fetzie..You are very wise..and I will refer to you as "The Great Oracle of Knowledge" :cool:

Krow
05-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Ok..thanks for the update comment - Time stamp 7.47PM. Will move this conversation to suggested appropriate forum.

wipebegone
07-20-2012, 05:24 AM
im working on converting formulae for Microsoft Works. Lol. i have alot of free time.

Fetzie
07-20-2012, 05:36 AM
im working on converting formulae for Microsoft Works. Lol. i have alot of free time.

If you intend on distributing it, please only do so through this thread and with full attribution where appropriate.

/off-topic: people actually still use Microsoft Works? I haven't used that since 1998 or '99.