PDA

View Full Version : Tanking I can't believe im back

Tinytankz
10-20-2011, 11:50 PM
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/anubarak/Tinytankzz/simple

O (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/anubarak/Tinytankzz/simple)k I took a good break, was needed for me to get my wind in my sails before final content came out, if i had tried to raid early on in the expansion i would have lost steam (its what happened in WOTLK and i only barely got into ICC and got hardmodes in). I'm still in this EH is king mode from ICC, but i'm seeing CTC thrown around alot.

So what's the goal here? a combo of effective health and Miss chances (dodge parry block ETC) similar to an old unhittable build for TOC.

I've started my heroic grind to just gear up, and i really wanna write my old guide back up but don't feel comfortable doing so without a good understanding of current mechanics.

I'm sure there are guides and nice threads with this all summed up but link me those and give me a crash course.

Also lol they nerfed everything

leethaxor
10-21-2011, 12:25 AM
One crash course in tanking coming up.

Threat is a joke
Avoidance is king. Warrior love mastery, they go for sunset walks down the beach with it, they share a toothbrush with it even Dodge and parry are good friends, parry a bit better then dodge because of the hold the line talent. Basically your goal is not take a single un-mitigated hit. AKA you want to dodge, parry, or block everything that comes your way.
Also block doesn't function like old block, now block is a flat 30% or 60% reduction in damage instead of the old static amount of block value.
I highly suggest you read over WarTank 101 The Primer. Since it will get a bit more in depth then I do.

Bigbad
10-21-2011, 12:39 AM
We get enough stamina from gear to not get 2 shot anymore so stamina looses a lot of its value. Still using 1 stamina trinket most of the time for an extra 9k hp buffer(mostly for 25man raids) but you can easily roll with 2 avoidance/mastery trinkets. For gemming this means yellow:40 mastery red:20parry/20mastery blue: 20 mastery/30stamina.
Mastery is better then avoidance since it effects more hits and has more overall damage reduction fairly quick cause of diminishing returns on avoidance. Should be easy to find the exact math for this on tankspot.
I see you're using an armor trinket. Armor is pretty crappy in cataclysm, mastery and avoidance both have more damage reduction and we don't need it for EH.

You don't have to worry about CTC(combat table coverage) yet just stack as much mastery as you can. Once you get full 378 firelands gear you can go with 96,4% CTC +T12 4set or go for 102,4% CTC like the old TOC unhittable build, with lesser gear this isn't possible.

Parry and dodge have the same diminishing returns now unlike in wotlk and since 4.2 agility doesn't give dodge anymore. You want to keep parry & dodge ratings fairly close to minimize diminishing returns with parry slightly ahead cause of hold the line. Shiny graph for optimal ratio http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/118/graph3t.jpg

Tinytankz
10-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Sweet,

Armor trinket was a slot that didn't have a tanking trinket in it and now does, (although im thinking about putting the engi dragonling back in honestly)

I knew the block change for amounts cause i didn't stop playing until a month or so after cata had hit. Thanks for the refreshers, so far i'm noticing that i still hate large packs of caster mobs, o the joys of getting people to CC shit and not forget about it.

Charon
10-23-2011, 07:18 AM
Good luck with that. I don't pretend to be the best player in the world, but I'm fairly ok. Even I forget to renew CC sometimes. =\

Prucilak
10-24-2011, 06:01 AM
Parry and dodge have the same diminishing returns now unlike in wotlk and since 4.2 agility doesn't give dodge anymore. You want to keep parry & dodge ratings fairly close to minimize diminishing returns with parry slightly ahead cause of hold the line. Shiny graph for optimal ratio http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/118/graph3t.jpg

One of my guildies gave me a macro to calculate my overall mitigation. Currently I have 1.5% more parry than dodge. I started reforging parry to dodge and noticed where I started losing mitigation. 1.5% seemed to be where it tapered off for me on my warrior.

(Posted for reference purposes, not for arguments sake.)

Tinytankz
10-25-2011, 12:22 AM
I've been gearing got lucky and bought some stuff.

Check my gear i wanna know if once i get my blue 346 shoulders if i can raid BoT.

edit: im changing my meta tomorrow to block one

Bigbad
10-25-2011, 12:36 AM
Should be fine to raid BoT with, need to get the enchants sorted though 9 missing. Try to do the Tol barad dailies for the mirror trinket and get the boe vp bracers they're going for about 3k no on my realm, both should be a nice upgrade. ZA/ZG also still has a few upgrades.

Tinytankz
10-25-2011, 12:53 AM
My realm has no abundance of either raiding or enchanters, the few that work seem to have a pact to keep the market quite high. The 378 bracers are no less than 7k so that isn't going down (i don't even have epic flying if that tells you about tiny and gold).

I have a guild enchanter willing to work for less but i'm under the understanding that BoT is quite farmable in a mix of heroic blues and epics with a good group (something i am more than capable of either training or finding) so im waiting to spend 1-2k on my enchants till im in a more solid set.

The TB dailies are going down but its a slow chug, as with the fireland dailies and my rep grind for other peices. Im farming ore and such for the epic crafted belt, and my first VP item will be legs most likely.

sifuedition
10-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Yeah, the FL dailies bracers are better than the VP ones anyways (at least fir block tanks). Rickets Gun Show.

Grombrindal
10-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Yeah, the FL dailies bracers are better than the VP ones anyways (at least fir block tanks). Rickets Gun Show.

Hmm, I'm not convinced of that... reforged dodge to mastery gives you ~85 mastery + 40 from the yellow gem slot is more than the mastery from Rickets.... also the VP spends less itemization on STR, so has the advantage there too....

They are close though, so you could likely wait to get the VP bracers if you have Rickets....