PDA

View Full Version : H Shannox - Trouble with jagged tear



xCrashxX
09-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Hello, thanks in advance for the help ;)
So my guild killed Ragnaros last sunday, so now we are going for H Shannox.
In the few attempts we did, we were having lots of trouble resetting the Jagged Tear
debuff from Riplimb and Shannox. FYI, we do this fight in the Baleroc room and we are a
10m group.
Me, as the Rip Limb tank, tank him as far as possible from Shannox, when he throws his
spear, I'll either heroic leap in a straight line towards Shannox, and if it is in CD I'll intervene
somebody and then try to charge Shannox. I use Piercing Howl on Riplimb as soon as he
starts to fetch the spear. THen I switch my stance for a sec to use Harmstring on it, after
the slow is on the mage.
It just seems it isn't enough. Stacks aren't getting reset; I'm tanking Riplimb as far as possible,
but it's just not enough. What I've proposed is to kite Shannox in a straight line away of
Riplimb as he is fetching towards Shannox.

Basically my question is, Is there an easier way to do this? Or we are doing something wrong?
(The Shannox tank is a druid)

btw we are attempting H Rhyolith later tonight, so tips are appreciated :p

swelt
09-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Everything you've said sounds right. The shannox tank will often need to kite a bit too, just when riplimb is on his way back. Careful not to outrange healers / cleave the melee / take shannox too far away from rageface. You are most likely to get a dot reset if you avoid the last application before the whole spear process begins - time your avoidance cooldowns accordingly. If due to RNG or errors you end up not getting a reset the hard way, use a trap... there should be enough that you can spare one or two for trapping riplimb if you aren't spam trapping rageface.

xCrashxX
09-11-2011, 10:33 PM
We just downed it :o
Thanks a lot for the help.

Fayre
09-12-2011, 06:43 AM
Sometimes you just get unlucky and it won't reset. Just use a few cooldowns and hope you have more luck the next time.

What you're doing sounds entirely correct.

Oh, and grats on your first kill :)

Takethecake
09-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Also if it fails to reset on a spear throw, position so you can trap the dog on the next throw for a guaranteed reset. Normally I will use all my mobility CD's... Heroic leap + rocket jump + intervene on the first spear to make sure it doesn't reapply while he is chasing me, then the next I'll use a trap. From there just alternate.

klausi
09-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Sometimes you just get unlucky and it won't reset. Just use a few cooldowns and hope you have more luck the next time.
That's not true, the maintank can literally kite Riplimb forever even when he gets his sprint, he'll never reach his master until you either make a mistake or stop running. The dedicated Riplimb tank can squeeze out some seconds with Heroic Leap/Intervene but that's only to ease the situation for your non-druid-healers and your melee dps don't have to run half the fight.

We just play it down:
pull
lust!
first throw, boss remain where he is
lust wears off
second throw
i start running with the boss when Riplimb is about 20 yards away and don't stop until both of our stacks are worn off, this takes up to half a minute

rinse and repeat, every second throw i run for my life and this way i don't have to rely on my offank playing perfectly while our melee dps (we're running rather melee heavy) won't hate me to much.

herpecin
09-12-2011, 09:51 PM
my group does the full kite strat, even though we are melee heavy it doesn't hurt them too much(2 of them literally turn on autorun).

i tank/kite and one thing i've noticed is that sometimes you need to pause and make sure riplimb doesn't get out of line with you, shannox will still throw his spear even if riplimb still has it he just throws it too a random spot instead of near riplimb. and if you aren't careful the dog can cut the corner on you and hand the spear off.

i see the kite method as more viable for 10s over 25s. could also be because our only 2 ranged are an ele shammy and a hunter(who is on rageface duty), so we dont have much in the way of constant slows for riplimb.

Exiledknight
09-13-2011, 12:12 AM
Shadow priest mind flaying slows him, Body and Soul is a huge help as well. Without having the toolbag that warriors have using reaction time, pushing the limit of the 60 yards and Mind Flay I have no problems resetting stacks as a Paladin, and Shannox hardly ever moves

Fayre
09-13-2011, 05:07 AM
@klausi - I think the Benny Hill treatment runs the risk of losing too much DPS time both with the melee and also the ranged repositioning, and there is a risk of outranging healers. I agree its viable if your primary concern is Jagged Tear, but I wouldn't necessarily do it myself. 90% of the time, being at maximum range and slowing Riplimb at the right moment works, and the other 10% of the time are what Shield Wall and Last Stand are for.