PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Warrior on Alysrazor Adds

Edd13Mac
08-25-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but I am having trouble downing my hatchling in time for the fire tornado phase. The rotation I'm am using is Shield Slam (every time it's up) and then either Revenge or Devastate when SS is on CD ("fishing" for more SS procs). Heroic Strike when above 50 rage as I've read is recommended.

Here is my current armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/arthas/Măc/advanced

(http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/arthas/Măc/advanced)I have since tweaked my spec a little bit in order to offer more single-target dps, and I switch out the porcelain crab with license to slay for the fight. My only thoughts are perhaps I should reforge more expertise? Our druid tank doesn't seem to have any problem with them, so like I said I just need to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Tengenstein
08-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Youve skipped Deep Wounds. Drop Battle Trance for it. Are the Deeps on your switching over to your bird when the druids are down? how much of your damage is from HS? Are you making use of Recklessness? are you syncing it with Shield Block? are you using Shield Block on CD?

I Run with about 3 expertise and 0% hit (full mitigation gear) my rotaton for max DPS is SS>fish>fish>Rend, resetting to SS each time i get an SnB proc, Safeclipping Rend via BnT if its timed right, or replacing with Dev/Rev if its not. I pull around 160Kdps whileon my bird

Edd13Mac
08-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Ok. I did have deep wounds initially, but was told that the damage from xtra heroic strikes from battle trance would help more than just a bleed that occasionally comes up that does a percent of my 1 hander. I've heard debates back and forth on this, but am open to try anything. I'll switch it back and see how much changes.

The dps don't generally switch over to my bird too much, but as I understand it they shouldn't need to.

My damage from heroic strike with my first spec wasn't too much, only about 10% overall. Have yet to try this new spec this week but will update as soon as possible.

I use recklessness generally as soon as i'm able to attack the bird and when it comes back off CD I use it right after he eats a worm, and I need to work on coordinating it with shield block + SS. But I do use Shield Block on CD.

Thanks for the advice thus far, I'll update with new info after my raids this week.

Loganisis
08-25-2011, 04:02 PM
1. Always line reck up with SB and SS. 600k+ crits

2. Don't forget about retaliation. Not a lot of damage, but it'll help. Don't use it after a bird eats though.

3. Whoever told you that Battle Trance (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=85742) was a DPS increase over Deep Wounds should never be listened to again. Ever. You don't need rage, you're taking plenty of damage. A 15% chance that every 6 seconds (or slighlty more with SnB procs) you can save 15-25 rage you don't need to save over 4-6% damage increase from Deep Wounds?

4. Use Recklessness right away on the first bird, unless your DPS is good enough so you don't see the 3rd ground phase. If the DPS on the last bird phase doesn't matter because you never reach the 3rd ground phase, then wait until you have vengence stacked. If you use it after 30 seconds I think you'll still have it for the tail end of the 2nd hatchling.

5. Stack sunder immediately after the bird hatches, you're not doing much damage yet as it takes ~4 seconds for the bird to hatch and then imprint, so getting sunder up then instead of wasting a SS is good.

6. Macro Inner Rage to SB if you haven't done so already. Extra HS if you have the rage.

There's no reason for DPS not to switch over to your birds. The druids should be dying well before the next one comes out, if for no other reason than to make interrupts easy.

Popping your un-buffed stats into Airowrid's spreadsheet http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?71824-The-Cataclystic-Protection-Warrior-Spreadsheet

DPS your current spec (and his default rotation) = ~13,455 DPS (guesstimate)
DPS with Deep Wounds = 14,706 DPS (keep everything else the same)

So deep wound would be a roughly 9% increase in DPS... That seems a little high. Whatever it is, it will be a noticeable difference.

Tengenstein
08-25-2011, 05:07 PM
It is true that Deep wounds doesn't scale with the damage modifyer so ignore what i said about that.

However if Heroic strike is making up only 10% of your total damage you aren't using HS every time you get above 50 rage. Since you're not using HS anywhere near enough the extra rage/HS from battle trance is completely wasted. On my latests log, HS was making up 32% of my damage overall for that encounter. You need to press HS more, practically on CD for the majority of the time you have something beating you in the face.

Hows your Inner rage uptime? Do you have a log of the encounter? Do you weave Retaliation in? Can you be given Thorns

Counter to my previous advice take Thunderstuck and weave Rend in. But really you need to be using Heroic Strike more.

swelt
08-26-2011, 03:44 AM
I think there are two schools of thought here. I do this in a threat set and make use of cooldowns to mitigate the spikes. I use dps trinkets, 2 piece set bonuses from t11 and t12, dps 1 hander with landslide, etc. I save shield block to counter tantrum rather than use it on cooldown (but tantrum happens to line up fairly well). That's one way. The other way is (as described above) to go with tank gear but aggressive use of cooldowns (e.g. shield block + recklessness off the bat). Both of these are viable.

Regards getting outside help, it certainly helps if you can put debuffs on the target (e.g. +physical damage taken, +bleed damage taken, if available - although this is a bigger deal for paladins/dks who can't sunder and do some spell damage). I find that after eating the 2nd worm, the path I normally take allows me to park my bird at the outer edge of area for a little while, and that it coincides with a period in which the dps don't need to be killing the caster adds... so that's basically free dps time to soak up, stops them nodding off :)

Fetzie
08-26-2011, 03:59 AM
Use cooldowns like recklessness when your Vengeance has stacked up a bit, this can make the difference between a 500k crit and a 700k crit.

Edd13Mac
08-26-2011, 12:40 PM
UPDATE: Tanking Alysrazor last night (with stats switched to back to deep wounds) my overall average dps was between 93k and 112k, and I did not have nearly as much trouble with the add as I did before.

I did use a strength flask and food, and used license to slay as one of my trinkets, but other than that was in full mitigation gear.

Thanks for the tips, I did use HS much, much more, and had inner rage macro'd to it, so HS ended up being roughly 1/3 of my total damage caused.

Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it :D