View Full Version : Tanking warrior tanking help
08-10-2011, 09:05 AM
I'm having issues in za zg 5 mans. My warrior gear is slightly better than my Druid tanks but my threat build up is so slow. I know my bear can hit 20k AP with vengeance but my warrior is only hitting 13k. My spec is geared towards 5mans not raids but maybe y'all can take a look at gear,spec, and enchants and gimmie some advice. I never needed to target swap before but that might be it idk. GrothiaVek'nilash
08-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Mark youir targets, let the dps that aren't following the kill order die.
What's your abilities do you use on the pull and after in singlle target and aoe fights?
08-10-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure what you're asking but on aoe pulls I spread rend cleave and revenge. I think I might need to use a shield slam once per targetThat might help but still takes time.
08-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Best thing I've found when threat is the top priority in 5 mans is to use Inner Rage and Recklessness wisely. Pull using those and Rend, Shockwave, Thunderclap. In that order.
I have a tank of each class and note that my warrior has always had problems with threat when compared to the other 3.
Don't be afraid to let your dps die if they are clearly not following any marks you put up.
08-10-2011, 09:25 PM
I know I could and probably should mark but more so during a za bear run I'd like to just be that good. I've played all the tanking classes too.just properly learned my bear (didn't do so well during wrath ) been lvling a dk tank and I'm going to relearn pallys next. But I do agree warriors went as ez. I don't think I've played with recklessness. Would that defeat to point of taking less damage? Or are you using a CD with it?
08-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Key bind skull to a button easy for you hit and just hit every time you target ;)
08-11-2011, 03:33 AM
Is that in the keybindings I never checked
08-11-2011, 05:05 AM
Yes, every symbol can be assigned a hotkey. I once had them on my number pad for relatively quick access, now they are on Alt + Mouse Buttons. As someone already said, it might be a good idea to assign skull (and maybe one other for CC purposes) to an easy to reach button for quick non-verbal communication with your group. If you want to be sure, make a macro that announces your marking habits and CC preferences to a group before the instance run. My usual assignments are:
Skull: First kill target
Cross: Second kill target
Moon Crescent: Sheep
Green Triangle: Frog
Blue Square: Ice Trap
Violet Diamond: Repentance / Sap / Bind Demon
Of course, depending on your group composition, you might need to assign symbols to other CC (if you have two shamans, for example), but it's a starting point and usually takes a minimum of communication to set up.
08-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Slow threat can be for several reason and can be solved through simple changes of playstyle.
1. Try to tie in shield block when SS is off cooldown. This increase you SS Damage substantially and can give you that much more threat.
2. Be sure to keep Blood and thunder applied to all targets.
3. When you have excess rage always use cleave on AOE targets and Hs on single targets.
4. Be sure to tie in inner rage in the aoe rotation for even more cleaves when you get excess rage.
5. Berserker rage can also tie into more rage generation hence more cleaves and Heroic strikes. I personally have it macroed with my inner rage. What this does is give me a TON of excess rage when used at the right time so i just cleave away.
6. While all of this is going on tab target through enemies and share the love as I like to call it. Revenge, SS,
7. A addon called threat plates helps me when I decide which target should gets revenge or SS on them. Basically it lets you know how your threat is on each target by the color of its health bar.
Green= Fine with threat
Yellow-losing threat. needs a little love.
Red= Its attacking a dps or a healer (Which is never ok unless you are dead)
I wouldn't recommend assigning targets via skull and X too much in ZA/ZG because most people just want to be in and out. Its ok to do sometimes but lets not overdo it. If you follow the advice I give above you should have decent burst threat and it wont be an issue.
Hope this helps