PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Prot Pally tanking advice

Reckage
07-27-2011, 04:43 PM
I'm a protection paladin on the server bleeding hollow. I'm kind of confused on certain aspects of stats. Right now I'm sitting at 41% block 27% combined dodge and parry about 6% hit and 23 exp with 173khp unbuffed. Now there's a question that I need to have resolved. I do have some stats forged into hit. I know you aren't supposed to do that, but at the same time I think it's necessary. I don't have threat problems, but what happens in emergency situations if my shield misses or adds are in raid what if i miss and cannot get aggro. This paranoia >.> causes me to always have some hit. My question is.. IS this necessary? If i can't get aggro am I doing something wrong or is it really just personal preference. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/bleeding-hollow/Reckage/simple This is my character any criticism, suggestions, help with stats is greatly appreciated. I'm new to these forums and hope to get great use out of them. Thanks =D

Tengenstein
07-27-2011, 05:50 PM
If you can't get aggro then yes, you, or your dps, are doing something wrong. Taunts are for those kinds of situations, Hand of slavation is for those kinds of situation, Hand of protection is for tha sort of situation. The only time to take Expertise is if you're performing your Rotation flawlessly and still can't hold aggro.

if you are going to go for threat stats, Expertise is worth approximately double what Hit is before the expertise cap of 26skill (so your exp>hot reforge is kinda like shooting yourself in the foot)

Glyph of consercration is nigh worthless: not only does it increase the duration and cooldown of consercration, it also increase the time between ticks by the same amount.

I would drop Judgements of the pure and hallowed ground, Melee haste is not great for a paladin unless you're seeking to optimise healing from SoI. Hallowed ground is fairly meh since you shouldn't need to put it down that often, and if mana is an issue you can switch SoI, regen and then back to SoT before your SoT stack falls off. I would finish off sacred duty, and take Pursuit of Justice, moving faster is just so valuable to a tank. Guarded by the light is nice to have, perosnally i don't feel it needs two points since i generally will only WoG when i need the heal, however with two points you can premempt a boss nuke ability by wogging at full health just before the attack. Finishing off rule of law is not a bade idea either.

I'd stick with the 359 rep boots and the 365 cloak from the elemental bonds questline, so much more Mastery, 41% block seems pathetically low, i also wouldn't use two stam trinkets, the Mirror of Broken Images is still pretty nice.

Reckage
07-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Ok thank you for the feed back any other help would be apreciated..My mastery has gone to hit. So i'll fix tht asap. Do you Think i can still get use out of the porelain crab ?? the mast is good and it procs alot. I also have the moonwell fial

Tengenstein
07-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Crab is a nice trinket. not as nice as Mirror but still a fine trinket. I don't rate Moonwell Phial: unless you severaly undergear the content 2 stam trinkets is overkill, Worm is a much nicer stam trinket. and while Phial does beat the vial of stolen memories i dislike the movement restrictions of the on use, yes its a big pool, but it's slightly claustrophobic soi prefer vial over phial. when it comes to trinkets higher ilvl is not necassarily better.

Reckage
07-27-2011, 07:00 PM
so i know trinket are situational but as a starting point you would recommend tht mirror and my worm/scales?

Tengenstein
07-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Mirror and Worm is what I use, Scales would be a good alternative if you need a another on use trinket.

Reckage
07-27-2011, 08:14 PM
would you recommend glyphing hand of salvation

Tengenstein
07-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Haven't the foggiest, sorry.

Fetzie
07-28-2011, 02:05 AM
I would not. Glyph of Salv basically turns the HoSalv into a fade - i.e. after 10 seconds their threat is back up really high. Normal HoSalv reduces their threat permanently by 20%.