PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Prot War dying - gear & CD rotation @ Beth'tilac 10m N

floored1585
07-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kirin-tor/Sangrus/advanced

My guild took a few shots at Beth'tilac 10m normal yesterday, and nearly every wipe occured because I died. Only once did we get through to phase 2, and then I died very shortly after taunting. My job in P1 was to tank the drone(s) that come from the side, and most of the time I died while tanking them.

My question has two parts:

1. I have made a few changes to my gear, reforging, and gemming after the raid (after reading these forums, and acquiring a new cloak and shield), but I was hoping someone experienced could look at my armory (top of post) and tell me if I'm doing anything obviously incorrect.

2. Are there any general rules to protection warrior cooldown usage? I usually use last stand if I see that I'm at less than 15-20% for more than a few seconds (and when I hear that "you're about to die" sound), and use shield wall or enraged regeneration when I end up tanking two of the drones at once. No matter what I did, before my CDs came up again I would die.

I'm keeping the mob(s) debuffed (TC and demo), and have Shield Block macroed into my Shield Slam so that I always use it on CD... What else can I do to help the healers keep me up?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

Loganisis
07-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Surviving the drones on the ground is actually up to your DPS killing spiderlings and you positing the drone correctly. Each spiderling that reaches your drone will buff it, and the buff stacks. Too many stacks = dead tank.

Logs will probably show your drone had many stacks.

But basically - park your drone in the corner to the left as you enter so spiderlings have the farthest to go. If DPS can't get the spiderlings down, you'll be in trouble, but you'll want to save your CDs to later on as the drone is getting closer to death and has more stacks. You may also want to call out for external CDs if avaialbe. However - make sure your DPS is slowing and AoE-ing the spiderlings effectively. If they aren't, you'll die 99 times out of 100.

Bigbad
07-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Gear looks decent few small things you can change but its all pretty minor. Tier11 chest has better stats then the crafted one, crafted belt slightly better then the one you have, dragonmaw rep boots are slightly better more mastery, armor trinket is pretty crappy try to get the Tol barad one (mirror of broken images). Biggest upgrade would be the trinket i think.
Spec: I would move 2 points from gag order and 1 point of thunderstruck into deep wounds.

For cooldowns use shieldblock on cd, any dodge on use trinkets between shieldblocks. Last stand if you drop low and shieldwall if you have a damage spike incoming. You're doing it right :)

I think the problem is either the drone eating small adds and gaining a damage buff + healing or just a lack of dps/healing. Try to get the hanging spiders down asap and have the drone die just about when the new one spawns or a few secs after not much longer. If the dps is doing their job you shouldn't have to use any cds in phase 1 maybe a last stand if you drop low but thats about it.

floored1585
07-18-2011, 04:47 PM
On all attempts we only had one spiderling reach the drone, so that wasn't it. I'll see if the changes I made to my gear make a difference next time, and I'll take the other suggestions into consideration.

Anyone other thoughts?

klausi
07-18-2011, 08:26 PM
In general: Save shieldblock for the taunt and announce tankswaps over voice (before you actually taunt, count down from 3 to give your healers a chance to precast and/or react in time).

Encounter specific: Did you stand on top of the other tank? You have to tank her in a triangle, the debuff is an aoe that's going to kill you.